Hot Rod Forum banner

Dakota Digital Fan Controller?

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gow589 
#1 ·
Where did you all mount yours?

They sure could have designed it differently. It has a nice digital readout but I can't figure out a way to mount it in my '55 Bel Air so it can be seen while driving. You can do it if you don't mind seeing the wires, circuit board and crude switches.

If anyone got creative with this, it would be cool to see a pic.

#2 ·
Havent been impressed with Dakota products. I have one of their automatic suicide door lock modules. The press to connect wire connections take the smallest wire I think I have ever seen in a car. I had to splice on #22 wires to my #14 wires from my door lock switches and speed sensor.

Vince

#3 ·
Vince,
There really isn't anything else on the market that I know about that has the features this thing has.

I have this radiator:

I am going to run these 14" Maradyne fans at half speed coming on at 190 and off at 180 and full speed coming on at 200 and off at 190. I still need 3 relays to do this but the on and off temps for both high and low are programmable with the Dakota Digital controller.

I also am going to have the fans go to full speed based on the high side a/c pressure. The Trinary switch from Vintage Air will wire into the Dakota Digital controller to allow this easily.

The features on this thing are really good and I think it has a pretty good reputation from what I've read. I sure wish they designed the looks of the controller better.

#5 ·
302 Z28 said:
There are those stupid press to connect wire connectors :pain: . I don't know why they do not use the screw connections like most of industry uses.Vince
Yeah, that sucks. I think it should have a built in pigtail or screw connections like you say.

The functionality of this thing is great but the controller design stinks. What were they thinking?

I guess I'll mount it up under the dash in some way (maybe on some type of clip) so that I can pull it down easily to adjust the programming.

#6 ·
Here's what I did.
It took a lot of studying for this. I spent way too much time. But that's me.

I cut the mounting ears off of the controller box and then drilled it from the back where the screws held the box together. I drilled all the way through so I could use the 4 holes to mount the box to glove box. This Vintage Air glove box is real shallow on the right side and seems like a wasted area and a good place to put the controller. But it won't fit there without removing the mounting ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.