Hot Rod Forum banner

dakota power steering

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bb79ranch 
#1 ·
Can you run a GM power steering gear box with a dodge Dakota power steering pump?
The reason I asked this question is I have been told that I can use a 80's Gm gear box on my 60 Rambler and I have a Dakota v-6 in the car that already has a pump on it.

#3 ·
Use this picture as a guide to adjust the pressure for your rack.

Remove shims to increase pressure.

It doesn't take much. AC shims for compressor clutches can be a source to use.Other pumps/ valves / parts can too.

Check the factory spec for your rack/box. Adjust as necessary.
The valve mentioned is the spool at the bottom of the picture.You will see the end has a hex that a wrench will fit. You will need to grab the housing with vice grips or slip joint pliers and be sure not to nick the polished edges of the valve. Grab it on the narrower surface that is not machined.

You will need a gauge and a line assembly to rig a gauge into the pressure line , or you can adjust the pressure down until the steering feels sluggish, then come back up a little to get it in the ball park.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.