Hot Rod Forum banner

Dakota tach showing incorrectly

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Mitchman 
#1 ·
350 SBC, Dakota Digital gauges. 800 miles on the car.

Check out the short video and the photo below.

http://youtu.be/tTaFTTSno5Q

This is an intermittent problem, the digital readout and the needle sometimes fail to show the same RPMs.The digital readout is always correct. From initial installation the tach has only intermittently worked properly. Sometimes the needle matches the readout, sometimes not. This happens in demo mode also, sometimes the needle moves, sometimes not... so it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not.

ALL of the other readouts work properly. Because the digital readout has never been incorrect, and the other readouts are correct, I'm thinking it can't be the sender module.

I've sent it back to Dakota, they returned it saying it works fine. 3rd time out of the garage it's acting up again. Has anyone seen this and if so, do you have any suggestions, perhaps we're missing something obvious?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Well, they sent the tach back a second time telling me it works just fine. They also sent a new control box. I installed the new control box and my original gauge. It worked on the first trip out of the barn. I've been telling them sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Today, the needle on the tach, once again, doesn't match the digital readout. Matter of fact, the needle rested at zero on all three of today's trips.

This is getting pretty stupid. I'm thinking about sending the set back for a refund and going with a different mfgr's gauges.

I'll let you know what they do next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.