Damn This Demon...I need a new carb - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a friend that had a similar problem with a 383. It ended up that his cam was degreed incorrectly, and his valve lash was way off. Have you checked these things? He has a 383 9.7:1 pro topline 200 heads 236 242 @.050 cam. His only made around 260hp 315tq. He has not had it back on the dyno yet, but based on how fast it is (low 13's 1/4) I would assume he is around 320hp. I think he is capeable of more, but his carb is really old and doesnt run right (holley 750) Also, based on other motors like yours, I would say you should be around 400 at the flywheel. With a 200R4, that would probably be closer to around 300-320 at the wheels running right.

Adam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

well i havnt been here a while and i found one of my old threads haha. Well i just pulled the car out of storage and im about to take the heads off this weekend for the hell of it really lol. Im gonna get some porting and polishing. I suppose while im at it i can check to make sure the cam is degreed right....how do i check that haha. I dont have one of those degree wheels so how to i check that...just make sure the dots line up at 6 oclock on the cam and 12 oclock on the crank right?

Also, another question i have now...if i decide to get rid of this demon, is getting a bigger carb. I always thought that going too big is also bad, but recently i was talking to my friend/co-worker Brent Davis (look him up on the net his name is all over the place cause of his 1200 rwhp mustang. He was telling me that having a smaller carb, means smaller venturis and the fuel will be pulled in with more velocity. He said i should get a 750, because the venturis are wider and wont pull fuel in with so much velocity...This is the first time i have ever heard of anything like this...but this guy is a true hotodder down to the scientific level. Hes done things on his mustang that havnt been done by anyone else and actually has companies calling him asking about how hes doing things. I remember at one point he got so anal, he actually drilled out a pair of jets to get in between jet sizes haha.

Last edited by airman_turtle; 05-04-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
U.S. Army Retired

Last photo:

If you want to give an old Pro Stock guy a shot at getting your combo tuned.

Janke Engines
5540 Dietrich Rd
San Antonio, TX 78219-2904
(210) 661-2654

Although if he has one of his big blocks on the dyno, you may decide to start saving up for a new engine!

If you just decide to replace your carb, the following link may be of interest:

http://www.pro-system.com/index.html
Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

ahh i should probably change that, i live in VA now
Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
U.S. Army Retired

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman_turtle
ahh i should probably change that, i live in VA now
Too bad, Jerry could have fixed you right up. He helped me with several projects while I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston (Camp Bullis training area).
Old 05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

In yor first post you expected high 300's at the wheels. Assuming 20% loss thru the drivetrain that's 375+20%=450hp.

If whatever carb you choose performes perfectly, I haven't seen a off the shelf carb in a while that works as good a custom built unit, You still not gonna reach 450hp with that engine. While 9.5 is rich, it's not that bad and isn't costing you as much power as you might assume. My guess is a net increase of 25hp max. I'm bringing this up becuase I don't what blowing a ton of money on stuff looking for a ultimate HP No. that not obtainable using your current head and cam combo. Porting those heads are not going to net you much because they are already on the large side. Not overly, but getting there. You can increase the low lift flow that will help and total flow won't net a large enough increase for you to reach a 450 goal because you not using all that head anyway. I think you need a cam in the 245@.050 range and that's getting out of the acceptable slow speed power with pump gas.

Please don't be offended by my statement's. It's just a opinion. I've got lots of em.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

yea i was actually looking at different cams today. Its the next step up from mine and the duration i think was 245 and the lift was 501, but the rpm range is 2500 to 6500 which is 500 past my redline...i mean im sure i could take it that 500, but i guess i just havnt tried. But the low side of it also seems kinda high, would that mean i wouldnt have sharp "torquy" response down low?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.