Damn You Rides - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Damn You Rides

Alright, So I watched rides on Tuesday, and once again some yahoo throws a supercharger on a car with no kit and fabs up a sweet little intake with little effort. Or so it seems.... So here's the problem I've got this 1954 dodge with a little 241 hemi in it. I keep thinking damn a little blower would be sweet on there. But you guessed it no intake, but this guy on Ebay has cnc'd intake plates for it... And I think hey they can do it, I should be able to also.

I know from experience that nothing is as easy as a pro makes it look. These guys are scuplting aluminum into intakes that not only function but look good. They are also throwing on fuel rails and FI in the process. This makes me want to learn to weld very bad. Makes me want to get very good at it so I can make pretty aluminum one off toys myself.... There has got to be cash in making these intakes and conversions, good money..

BUT, I am much better at dreaming than doing, which is why I got so many unfinished projects in my home. I'm a jobber not a craftsman. Jack of all trades master of none. So what's the point? Not sure, just had to ramble a little... I think I need to stop watching these shows and getting all these bad ideas.

(As the idea of a supercharged flathead 6 pops into my head... Just freaking great..)

ARRRRGGGggggggg!!!! To damn much inspiration to little money, time and follow through...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm assuming your'e talking about the one on the Northstar motor. That was pretty cool. I can't wait to try building my own headers and custom intake too. (My current project isn't quite worthy though) I find those shows pretty inspirational at times and depressing at others. I'll attempt to build anything and if I fail at least I tried. Things may not work out perfectly, but the challenge is healthy, and the next attempt is almost always more successful. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Give it a shot...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

I know what ya mean man. I never had any real 'hands-on' experience as a kid since my dad was always worried about me screwing something up. I figured when working with a car thats made about 94% of metal, that it might be a good idea to learn as much as I can about manipulating the shape, cutting, sanding, and welding of it.

On a tight budget of a college student with a full time job, I have to make do with what I can afford at this time. Right now, I picked up a cheapo no name stick welder from Norther Tool for about $120. I'm about 4 months into playing around with it now. So far I can weld two old mower blades together end to end and I can set it on a brick and jump on it as hard as I can and it doesn't break.

Figuring out what amperage for thickness is the trick. So far all I can do with a beer can is burn pretty little holes in it. Practice makes. . . .well good enough.

MoocH
Old 03-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

That's the one. The one with the oldschool shop making their shop truck was bad for me also. I now want to cut the top off everything, but I live in NY not CA...

I've fixed or purchased the following big buck tools and done little with them.

Fixed old campbell Hausfeld contractor grade gas powered compressor that belonged to my dad, 10hp 25 cf flow at 90psi..

This was fixed to power my San Blast 99 presure blaster.

With this mighty combo I blasted one inner fender of my hotrod 54 meadowbrook. I need to do much more, but got on another project... Nice unit and the compressor will run it all day, but time's the issue there.

Pipe dream tool of the moment mig welder, a good 220 one, like lincoln or miller. Do I need to weld things? Well someone does need to fix the holes in my 54 coronet. Does it have to be me, probably not, but I could do it and end up with tools afterward for same price as paying someone else..

But I want to do grand things no one has done before. I want to do stuff that makes people go "Dear god what is that thing!"
Old 03-11-2004, 11:41 AM

Wow this post really hits home with me.I never cared about welding until I started on my Falcon project,now Im learning there are things that are gonna have to be welded on to make it right,can I weld? nope and Ill tell you it sucks. I have a buddy who builds air boats in his spare time hes gonna teach me (he just don't know it yet lol!)
Old 03-11-2004, 12:24 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:

after watching that Rides episode i wanted to make something like that because my dad owns a cnc shop and we have welders and everything you could possibly think of to make that...but...i dont need to make anything for my car yet. when i learn to use those machines and weld,ill probably start doing some small custome side work. CHEAP too, i just want to work with all that kinda stuff.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Damn, 53ledsled why can't you live a bit closer... I'd bring you all kinds of stuff to play with
Old 03-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

If you want a blower that bad, why don't you use a centrifugal set up. You don't need a new manifold and the brackets for the unit itself are easy to make...just a thought. But if your hemi is stock, it won't handle much boost without scattering its guts all over the road.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

That would be another beef with Rides, The don't mention how much they have to do the engines to make it handle the power. That cady motor basically got double stock horsepower, and I don't remember much talk about what they did to the bottom end.

As for how much boost minimal. I've looked at a m90 from a 3.8 ford as a good possiblility for the 4 liter 241. Shouldn't go beyond the limits there. I also looked at My tex smith hemi book. The only hemi that's somewhat weak is the 241/270 crank, but it's still reasonably tough being cast. Suggested best build on bottom end main studs, then straps, but studs may do more than enough. Extra bolts are not an option on the 241.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

You also have to take into account your compression ratio. I have no idea what it is on a 241 hemi, but I assume that its probably around 9 or 9.5 :1....this will also limit how much boost you can run without detonation...
Old 03-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Compression ratio according to Tex smith is 7.1 to 1 pretty low.. I could get a flat top piston truck motor for even lower compression. A guy near me has one, have not negotiated price yet.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Dang, that motor sounds like it's asking for a blower, with that compression ratio, depending on your elevation, you could run 8-9 psi, on 91 octane without detonation....
Old 03-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Thanks drgnwgn289, You've almost convinced me to do it. LOL.

Some info on that m90 Max about 650cmf, moving at 8 # boost

http://www.mn12performance.com/magnuson/magnuson.htm

First get 4 bbl intake for 241, and machine open 4 bbls to 2 large ports.

Second Get a plate machined to place the blower properly.

Third Fabricate a manifold to hook a carb to the back of the blower. A webber side draft would look cool considering the configuration... But mucho $$$$$$

Fourth Pullies/belts etc. Possible custom nose plate from Magnuson.

Mix liberally and add some high test.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

have you considered a paxton or similar type unit, it may cost less and be easier to hook up....
Old 03-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

All hypothetical at this point but the m90's are dirt cheap on ebay, and the ones for the ford super coupes are pretty strait foreward. Intake on back of unit, large square discharge. I'm starting to wonder if the discharge goes up or down though. Some have it up with a dicharge for an intercooler.

The Weber seems like it would be to low cmf for single carb. I'm having a tough time getting a cmf rating all they have it the mm's

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.