dAN, NEED HELP CONVINCING CUSTOMER - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

dAN, NEED HELP CONVINCING CUSTOMER

Dan,

I have new customers with a 36 Ford Sedan that want to use the original front bucket seats.

You know the ones; the kind that are so overstuffed, that they are actually round. Not only do they look like an upholstered ball, but you don't sit in them, but you fight to set ON THEM! Its like sitting on one of those exercise balls.

Other than the obvious, how do I convince then that they should change over to a more modern bucket with more comfort, better safety, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy P.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot-30
Dan,

I have new customers with a 36 Ford Sedan that want to use the original front bucket seats.

You know the ones; the kind that are so overstuffed, that they are actually round. Not only do they look like an upholstered ball, but you don't sit in them, but you fight to set ON THEM! Its like sitting on one of those exercise balls.

Other than the obvious, how do I convince then that they should change over to a more modern bucket with more comfort, better safety, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy P.
Seems to me that it is up to you to provide your customer with whatever they want. Just because you don't care for the look or style of the original seats is not a reason to attempt to convince your customer of anything else.

If I were the customer, I'd be looking elsewhere.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I have to agree with Frisco, the customer has decided that he wants the old seats and that should be the end of the discussion. The only thing you need to do is the best job you can.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "original front bucket seats." Didn't the car come with a bench seat? Was the original seat replaced with buckets? Could we have more explanation?
If there's something wrong with the frames or springs, or they want you to use the old padding or something like that, it's a different story.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
how do I convince then that they should change over to a more modern bucket with more comfort, better safety, etc?
If there is a compelling reason- it would be safety, IMHO.

Diplomacy and tact go a long way towards getting your views on the subject across.

But in the end the old adage, "The customer is always right" does apply.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Dan, Need Help Convincing Customer

OK, lets start from the beginning!

Yes, I know the one about "the customer is always right".

Just to be clear Frisco, I am trying to provide what the customer wants. But this car is going to be used as a driver, first and foremost, and I know that they are not going to enjoy the miles they want to put on this car if they are uncomfortable.
I am their upholsterer. It is my job to recommend to the customer what I know from experience, that they will not enjoy these seats.
I will get paid either way they decide. I am not trying to sell them seats that I own, or anything else to my advantage. They have no idea what they want other than upholstery. They have come to me for my ideas and design experience.
Thats all I was trying to do.
Dan, I was asking you, because I figured that you have been in this situation before. Just looked to you for some guidance.

And Frisco, the sarcastic "If I were the customer, I'd be looking elsewhere", fits perfectly.
I have had customers exactly like you.
I declined the job, and sent them down the road. We've never met, but I know you well!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

O.K. Yes, I have been in the same situation, just this week in fact. Then my advice is to tell them exactly what you just wrote and get them to sit on some different seats to show them what you're talking about. You have to start with " you are the customers, and I will do what you want, but I feel I need to point this out to you......"

Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 AM

Dan,

Yes, I've already done exactly what you have said. I guess thats why it annoyed me when Frisco jumped in and started with the attitude!
I was just asking a legitimate question, OF YOU!

They have already been made aware that I will do whatever they want, but like I said, I feel it is my job to INFORM the customer of the possibilities and pitfalls. I want my customers to have the best product that I can give them, and that includes educating them on interior matters that they admittedly are deficit in. Don't you agree?

I have been doing this for quite a while now, but I know that I can always learn from others, and respect your opinion. What i was looking for from you was some guidance from someone who it seems has more experience than I do.

Thank you Dan, for your input.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Dan,
They have already been made aware that I will do whatever they want, but like I said, I feel it is my job to INFORM the customer of the possibilities and pitfalls. I want my customers to have the best product that I can give them, and that includes educating them on interior matters that they admittedly are deficit in. Don't you agree?
I do agree 100%. If you've already told them the pitfalls etc., then you have done your job. As much as we'd like to, we can't force a customer into anything. It's kind of like praying,...........sometimes the answer is "no".

BTW, I think Frisco may have had some bad experiences in the past and may have been venting a little.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Dan,

Yes, I've already done exactly what you have said. I guess thats why it annoyed me when Frisco jumped in and started with the attitude!
I was just asking a legitimate question, OF YOU!
I wasn't going to reply to your comments concerning me; but feel this must be addressed.

You posted your question in a PUBLIC forum. That means that anyone can both read it and comment. If you wanted to address your question to just Dan, then you should have used a PM or email.

I didn't "jump in" as you stated. I commented on what I believe to be an honest statement to your question. No attitude at all. If you didn't care for my answer, so be it. I stand by my comment. "Just because you don't care for the look or style of the original seats is not a reason to attempt to convince your customer of anything else."

As to the comfort of the stock '36 Ford seats; have you ever ridden in one? Any distance? I have. I found the stock seat to be much more comfortable than any of the present day vehicles. This is probably more because of the seating position. This is based on my personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
BTW, I think Frisco may have had some bad experiences in the past and may have been venting a little.
Nope. Not venting. Just stating my opinion.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Once again, Frisco, you have a valid point. You have both stated your opinions, so now let's let it go.

If anyone wants to direct a question or comment to me alone, PM or e-mail me. My e-mail address is in my public profile. I will answer any e-mail or PM sent to me.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.