Hot Rod Forum banner

Dana 60?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Brad2v 
#1 ·
I've had my truck for a few years now but havent really done much as far as brakes and wheel bearings and whatnot. While searching for wheel bearings I had to ID my rear end. Wasn't sure what to look for so I had a couple of friends/colleages (who are quite a bit older and way more experienced with suspension/rear ends than I) help me ID the rear. Turns out that I have a Dana 60 rear end under there. It has 4.10 gears and is a positraction setup. Can someone give me some general information about this rear such as strength and if its a good rear end to have or not. I am clueless about rears basically. Most people I hear talking rears keep blabbing about a 9inch Ford.

Thanks people :).

#3 ·
I'm not much more experienced, but from what i've read/heard about, the Dana 60 is a pretty desireable rear end. It was the one everybody seemed to want long before the ford 9" really became popular.

Lot of older hot rodders and truck enthusiasts know more about them. Supposedly is a really strong rear end that lasts forever. I think there are still lots of parts, upgrades available for them.

#6 ·
A virtually indestructable unit,which is good,because they are no fun to work on.IE,not nearly as user-friendly as a 9" or Mopar 8 3/4 or other Hotchkiss-type diffs.They require special tools for gear changes and the like,but I imagine the 4.10's are just fine in that big ol' truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.