Dana 60 I.D. help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dana 60 I.D. help

I have a 1959 Chevy pickup that does not have the orig rear end. I do know its a dana 60 posi. Does anyone know what manf and year 6 lug dana 60s were installed? i need brake drums.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try this link for identifying that Dana 60.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...M_numbers.html

It only goes back to about 1977 though. Also check the Dana website, has similar info. Once you know the BOM number on the housing you may get somewhere with parts etc..

Hope this helps............Barry
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Thx for the link. Whats the difference btwn full & semi floating? Which is better?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

If you get the BOM # off your housing I can tell you what it came out of.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Old Phart

Last photo:

G'day tjet,

Full floating axles have a greater load carrying capacity than semi-floaters.
They are recognizable by a hub protruding through the wheel centre with a number of bolts. This is the removeable axle. Trucks over about 1 ton carrying capacity generally have full floating axles. The Brake Drum and Wheel Flange Hub assembly runs on bearings which fit on the axle housing. The axle housing handles the mass/load being carried and the Full Floater axle merely transmits the power to the wheel. A Full Floater axle can be removed without removing the wheel itself as it unbolts from the wheel hub.

Semi floating Dana 60's are like a regular diff. The axle pulls out with the brake drum after removing the wheel. Semi-floater Dana 60's were used in Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Hemi products of the 1960's, plus other applications that I'm sure other users here can tell you about. There is no difference in Ring and Pinion strength on a Full Floater or Semi Floater. The main difference between a semi-floater and say a 9" Ford diff for arguement sake is that the semi-floater axle is retained by "C" clips within the diff centre. A real pain in the bum if you break an axle as the whole lot can "pop out" , unless you have installed a "C" clip eliminator kit or other axle retainer.

Dana 70's which look the same as Dana 60's until you know what to look for are slightly larger again in the ring and pinion and axle department and consequently, a bit stronger. Dana 70's are mostly used in Dual wheel applications like F350's etc. and some Extra Heavy Duty Pickup truck applications like "Camper Specials". As far as I am aware ALL Dana 70's are full floating axles......however I have been wrrrrrrrrooooong before !

I'm sure there will be many "Hotrodders.com" members who will be able to tell you far more about which Full floaters and semi-floaters came in what vehicle.

The Dana axle ID located on the right hand axle tube (BOM as pointed out by prostreet6t9) will tell you what application it was used in. Also the ID tag located on one of the diff cover screws (unless it has been removed) will tell you what ratio it is and if it's an LSD or not.

Cheers..........Barry.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

"...... Semi-floater Dana 60's were used in Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Hemi products of the 1960's, plus other applications that I'm sure other users here can tell you about......."

As far as I know the only factory Semi-Floating Dana 60 were in the Hemi/HP 440 4 Speed Dodges/Plymouths. As such they are reasonably rare and relatively expensive (compared to the full floating (truck) Dana 60s or comparable Ford 9" and GM 12 Bolt rear ends). The picture below is my 69 B Body Dana. As it sits its probably a $1200-1400 rear end...... maybe a bit more if someone is hunting a specific date code.

In the case of the Mopar passenger car Dana 60s the axels do NOT use the a C clip retainer but rather a press on bearing and bearing retainer like a 9" Ford or Mopar 8 3/4 (it actually uses the same bearings as the 8 3/4).

Because of the high demand for semi floating Dana 60s by the Mopar crowd and relatively low cost of used full floating Dana 60 housings there are a couple of outfits that are converting the truck Danas to passenger car use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dana 60.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	56052  
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Old Phart

Last photo:

Now isn't that a pretty sight............Hemi and Dana in the same pic.....
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

There is some Dana 60 semi float diffs in the late 60's Chev 1/2 ton trucks. They are getting pretty hard to find and bring a chunk of money.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Great info. I will check the numbers on it. I think its out of a 60s GMC
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Here's the best pic I have of the rear end. I need to take more photos

Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

The BoM number is located on the right side axle tube and is usually centered and about 2-3" away from the center section.

In the mid 60's, you could special order a semi floating Dana 60 in a 1/2 pickup but not many opted for it and I would imagine you could do the same with GM too? Anyway, the full float 60's were common in 3/4 ton pickups all though the 70's but sometime in the late 80's (?) the OEM's started building them as semi floating unless it was ordered with limited slip. At least that's the way it was with Dodge during the 90's. Ford went with a '501' housing....a Dana 60 with smaller axle tubes and semi floating axles.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

I now understand the difference between full and semi floating. Does a semi floating dana automaticly mean posi, or is that another option?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjet
I now understand the difference between full and semi floating. Does a semi floating dana automaticly mean posi, or is that another option?
During the 90's a full floating axle on a Dodge usually means it has a posi but not always. Years past, all Dodge 3/4 ton pickups had full floaters but that's not the case these days but if you ordered a limited slip, it would mean you got the full floating axles. I have no idea what they are doing after around 2000...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.