Dana; or anyone: my 700r4 question 1to 2 upshift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dana; or anyone: my 700r4 question 1to 2 upshift

Dana, I have been to your site and read a bit about the 700r4 up shift problem from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 only at high rpm's. I have changed filter and fluid; quite a bit of alum. I changed the TV cable, found the high speed sensor to be full of fluid and changed it out and replaced the governor gear. If this problem just appears all of a sudden; I assume the TV cable was not out of adjustment! My question is what causes this to just start to happen? And, What does the alum indicate to be going wrong all of a sudden? The valve in the body with spring and plunger; should it be tight or have play in it when the body is removed? HELP!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

If you have allot of metal in the pan and it's shifting funny or not at all that is a bad sign. Was the fluid really dark in color? Usually when they start shifting funny and there is allot of metal or dark colored fluid that means there is enough trash in the valve body to start jamming valves. I had an 85 monte ss that wiped out one of the planetary sets and the resulting shrapnel jammed up the valve body and caused no upshifts.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your input Goldduster360. The fluid was'nt burned but almost had that foamy look when water gets into it. I changed it and after some trial runs it started to look metal again. I am pretty sure it is toast but want to make sure before I start the rebuilding process; and if driving in overdrive with a load is really the cause.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Arts, Are you getting any whining sound associated with this shifting problem?

Metal of any sort in a transmission is bad.

If you look at your tv cable, where it adjusts at and it hasn't moved, this would lead you to think it may not be a problem with the cable.

The TV valve inside the valve body [sticking ], is perhaps the most likely cause of your transmission concern.

Pulling the valve body off to "free" the valve up is not the answer, because something inside the trans, or torque converter is coming apart.

It's time for some major work.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 PM

thanks Dana; I was assuming that would be your answer.
Just waiting on your CD now to start the process.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Rebuilt tanny and have low pressures

Thanks all for your past input; I have rebuilt the trans and all seemed well till I tried reverse. It does not engage fully at first then engages as you throttle. I tested the pressures at idle and stall. most were only 25 at idle and 125 at stall. What can cause the pressures to be so low? A friend said the PR valve may be sticking or else a bad pump. When I tore into the pump it was scored some and sanded it out but the veins looked good. Any ideas would help!!! (this is the closest to scratching my head)
Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts
Thanks all for your past input; I have rebuilt the trans and all seemed well till I tried reverse. It does not engage fully at first then engages as you throttle. I tested the pressures at idle and stall. most were only 25 at idle and 125 at stall. What can cause the pressures to be so low? A friend said the PR valve may be sticking or else a bad pump. When I tore into the pump it was scored some and sanded it out but the veins looked good. Any ideas would help!!! (this is the closest to scratching my head)

Sanded out score marks? Did you reset the internal pump rotor and slide clearance to around .0015 ?

It is possible that many things are incorrect or over looked. With 25 psi at idle you have a large problem.

have you pulled the pan to see if the boost valve assembly is still installed?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 AM

What do you mean "reset" the internal pump rotor and ...?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
What do you mean "reset" the internal pump rotor and ...?

setting the clearance of the pump internal parts with a micrometer depth gauge. Very important. IF the clearance is too high the pump becomes some what inefficient..... eg; low pressure

You said you sanded out score marks..... this changes clearance and the surface may not be smooth enough for the pump rotor and slide to function correctly.

At 25 psi at idle , I doubt this is the only problem / cause of the low pressure

Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 AM

O.K. so lets start with the simplest problems first. I have just pulled the valve body out and all the valves seem to be free; which is the PR valve; the one behind the switch? Now what is the next, if there is one, cause of the problem to check without pulling the tran out?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
O.K. so lets start with the simplest problems first. I have just pulled the valve body out and all the valves seem to be free; which is the PR valve; the one behind the switch? Now what is the next, if there is one, cause of the problem to check without pulling the tran out?

I would suggest you find help from an experienced trans person..... the PR valve is in the pump assembly(stator support) behind the PR spring and boost valves.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.