Dang deer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dang deer

Saturday night a white tail buck ran into the side of my 2002 Chevy pickup, hit the passenger door, spun around and smashed against the box, right behind the wheel. It came out of the ditch about midnight, i saw it coming and swerved, but it didnt help, the dumb thing ran right into me. Gonna have to repaint he whole passenger side, or part of each panel anyway. $2075 to get the *$&%$ thing fixed. Oh well, insure pays for most of it i guess. I have a friend that hit a cow with his car last fall, he totalled it, i guess i am lucky compared to him

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

When I was young, I was driving my mothers new 64 VW sedan and a deer came across the highway, JUMPED on the hood, and kept on going, didn't miss a step. Man was I p!ssed. Had to replace hood and fender.

Just last fall I took the Dodge pickup to Massachusetts. When I got back I was late returning a U-haul item so I took off down my road (dirt two track)(I know better!) about 55mph and from the left come three does, SLAM on the brakes, miss the first two, the third one is watching the ones in front and BANG right into the grille and bumper. Snorts, pee's and takes off.. New grille, salvaged the bumper and bump/painted the hood.. Again I'm P!SSED!!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

The bad things about deer coming from the side of the road, if there is one there is always another.

When I live south of Pungo in Virginia Beach, Va, I had two deer come out at me on Blackwater road. I hit them both, one on the right front corner and the other on the left front corner. I hit them with a Dodge Colt. Scared the dickens out of me. If I would have hit the deer just a second earlier, it most likely would have came right in the front window.

I was lucky and drove away.

Dutch
Old 01-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Last photo:

In spite of the damage to your truck, you were very lucky. One of our off plant fatalities for last year was a motorcyclist who hit a deer in Colorado.

Vince
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Were in WI we not only have a big problem with deer, we have a growing epidemic of turkey collisions. I've talked to a couple people who have hit them (one guy hit one with his '30 model A) and they say it's just like hitting a deer...only higher up on the car, like hoods, windshields and roofs. A bit like hitting a 50 lb flying brick.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

ouch, the estimate sounds more than fair though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo55.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	3750  
Old 01-26-2005, 08:50 AM

I missed being that pic by inches a few years back. I saw the fricken buck running down the road so I let off the gas and covered the brake. I thought I was OK and bang he jumped right in front of me. Had I not had my foot on the brake he would have come through the windhield as it was he hit the head light in front of me and did $3500 damage.
That was better then almost hitting a buffalo though. MAN that muther was BIG!!!! When you're in S. Dokota and the sign says large game on road they don't mean deer!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:14 AM

My cousins father-in-law lives in southern Tennessee. He's lived there for like 30 years and has never had a car he hasn't hit a deer with...

Sounds like its time to move to me...
Old 01-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

In 1996 I hit a deer going about 70mph on the Washington Oregon border with my 1956 Harley. It busted me and my bike up pretty bad, I almost cut the deer in half. In 2001 in Yellowstone Park my wife rounded a corner on her Triumph at maybe 35mph and spooked three Buffalo, one ran onto the road right in front of me on the same Harley. First thing that came to mind was Oh $#*T this is going to Hurt!!! In a blink of the eye the thing turned and jumped out of the road. I never saw anything that big move that fast in my entire life, But I'm glad it did!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I've hit two and my wife hit one. The two I hit...one was going 70 in a '71 Cougar. The other was last year in my Toyota truck going 55. My wife hit one a few years before in the exact same place as I hit the one in the Toyota. She left for work before me. She was in a new '96 Blazer at the time. She came back home crying and told me she just hit and killed a deer. It was about 5:00 in the morning. Being the Blazer was a lease and we only had it a few months I was about sick. I went out and looked at it and there was no damage at all. Nothing. I said "I thought you hit a deer"? The deer had run out in front of her. She hit the horn, scared the deer, it turned to go the other way and the hooves slid on the road and it fell down. She run over the top of it. Sure made my day better after that.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I feel your pain. Last fall I hit a deer with my 1970 Chevelle which I had only gotten a few months prior. It wasn't a show car but it was a one owner car and every bit of chrome and plastic was in good shape. Now I need a grille, chrome headlight bucket, etc... I have driven that same road for 14 years and never hit a deer till I had a car I cared about. Go figure.

At least you didn't hit a Moose!!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

I hit one deer in my whole life, and funny thing is I saw the deer and stopped let him go across the road and wait for more ,no more so II took off and the deer came back in front of me and took out my headlite and bend my fender. I guess I'm pretty lucky, on average we get right around 10- 12 deer killed on my road, I don't know how many just get clipped.

Hey Kevin, did you play the lottery that day?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Here in southern Michigan deer seem to be as common as rabbits. I've lived here about 15 years and I've managed to harvest 7 deer with vehicles. I've also hit three that got away. I've hit them with and without the deer alerts that are supposed to scare them off. I'm not sure they work. Two years ago, I hot one and id some damage that require a new grill, hood and right front fender on my Windstar. I got it back from the body shop and two days later proceeded to take out the left front. I asked the body man if I could get a frequent customer discount. He didn't go for it. The good thing is that so far, except for the deer, no one has been injured in my collisions.
I just keep dodging.

Scott

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.