DANGEROUS Leaking Pro Products Fuel Filter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DANGEROUS Leaking Pro Products Fuel Filter

DANGEROUS Leaking Pro Products Fuel Filter from HAMB site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had installed one of these canister frame mount replaceable element fuel filters on my '32 pickup project and after a short time (a few weeks and a 100 miles), it started leaking where the canister seals to the body.

http://www.fastpts.com/cgi-bin/hazel...ppfilters.html

Part No. 10102 Their Description: "Professional Products Powerflow Street Rod Fuel Filter-This is a smaller version of our super popular Competition Filter with similar flow and filtering characteristics. It features a universal chrome bracket with stainless steel attaching hardware and a high quality polished chrome housing.
Dimensions: 4-9/16" long x 2-7/16" diameter. Filter has 3/8-NPT inlet and outlet ports."

I found this info on the Ameduri Racing Products/Hot Rods of NORCO website .

The scary part is it leaked gas the better part of the night and day onto my workshop garage floor and into my floor drain/pit before I caught it. I was just damn lucky that the whole shooting match didn't blow up and burn down my house, workshop, and cars since I have a pop machine sitting near it that could have ignited it when it cycled on.

I thought maybe I had a cracked casting or something, so I picked up another one at my local Sturdevants Auto Parts store before I took this one off. I then took the one off the truck and found that the main o-ring that seals the canister to the body very soft (not gas resistant rubber apparently) and not sealing in the center of it. The o-ring has a square profile and the canister is steel with a very thin edge which seats almost on the outer edge of the o-ring, not the center, which pushes past the o-ring in the groove it sits in. If you tighten it at all it will push right past it. I took the new one apart and it also was the same way and the o-ring was already deformed. I removed the o-ring and reinstalled it carefully, keeping it straight and flat, trying not to tighten it too much when I reinstalled the can and then put it back on the truck. I took it for a short drive and it again was leaking slightly by the time I checked it again. I tightened it slightly more and it leaked more. I'm sure as the o-ring gets softer with the gas exposure, so it will get much worse. Very, very dangerous, especially if you have your car parked where you don't check on it often. Obviously this is a poor design with inferior materials and I think it is Chinese made. Is anyone else using one of these and had similar problems? Let me kn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Nothing there on that link..Maybe that product has been dropped..Any way try Napa for the next one..Different brand..

Sam
Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

http://www.fastpts.com/cgi-bin/hazel...ppfilters.html

Maybe this link will work I read this on the HAMB site.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

I installed the Competition Filter #10100 and never had any problems or leaks whatsoever. I had the same canister on since 1999 and occasionally replace the internal filter. The replacement filter comes with an o-ring for the through bolt and a large o-ring for the cannister. It is an exact copy of the old, orange Fram cannister fuel filter. In fact I dug up my old Fram filter and it is the exact same design. An o-ring for the through bolt and a large o-ring for the cannister. I replaced my Fram because the cannister was rusting. Sorry to hear that you had a bad product, but I never had any problems with the large Competition filter.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.