Dare I? Metal Glaze straight to Epoxy Primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dare I? Metal Glaze straight to Epoxy Primer?

We did a good amount of body work, layed a few good coats of Transtar 6441 Kwik Prime eurethayne primer on the car, wet sanded it with 400 grit paper, and then metal glazed a few imperfections that we found.

What we'd like to do, is skip the step of reapplying the Kwik Prime and go straight to the epoxy primer/sealer, then paint.

First question: is this a dangerous step to leave out? Should we scuff the metal glaze and surrounding area (if so, with what grit?) and reshoot with Kwik Prime?

Last question: is it OK to have sanded with 400 in prep for the epoxy primer, and what grit should we use to sand the epoxy in prep for the base coat (using PPG MBC base coat)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

It would be better to respray those spots with the urethane primer, resand those areas with 400 again then epoxy (seal) then spray your base. What happens most times if you epoxy over the filler areas without repriming you will end up with a halo, that you will see through your base, especially if it is a mettalic. If you spray the epoxy as a sealer, you will not have to sand it before your base. Yes, 400 grit is fine before your epoxy sealer.

Last edited by mr4speed; 09-13-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks, Mr4Speed. I'd rather do right - even if it takes a bit more time. Halos are definitely not something I want to see, after all the work that's gone into the car.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Timing questions: I'm going to scuff and respray the metal glaze areas today with the transtar Kwik Prime.

1) How long does the Kwik Prime need to cure before I can spray the epoxy primer/sealer?

2) How long does the primer/sealer (Deltron DP48LF) need to cure before I spray the base coat? Is there a maximum amount of time I should work within?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.