Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Darn bolt won't come loose (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/darn-bolt-wont-come-loose-222896.html)

rusthater89 08-14-2012 05:22 PM

Darn bolt won't come loose
 
2 Attachment(s)
This is one of those hex key type bolts on a 78 firebird frame. It is one of two that hold the sway bar to the frame.

My problem is when I try to remove the bolt the female end that the bolt screws into keeps turning as well. I thought of reaching it from the inside with pliers or something to hold the female end from moving but there is a piece of metal blocking my way as well as inserts for the power steering bolts.

66GMC 08-14-2012 07:06 PM

It looks like you could get a sawzall blade in between there. :mwink:

The other option might be to buy a cheap 9/16" open-end wrench and then bend or cut it in such a way that you could sneak it in there, slip it on the head of the bolt, then jam it up against the frame rail?

rusthater89 08-14-2012 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66GMC (Post 1582818)
It looks like you could get a sawzall blade in between there. :mwink:

The other option might be to buy a cheap 9/16" open-end wrench and then bend or cut it in such a way that you could sneak it in there, slip it on the head of the bolt, then jam it up against the frame rail?

If I saw it off then how am I gonna put it back together when there is still half a bolt inside the hole? Also how am I gonna use a 9/16 wrench when the bolt head is one of those that require the use of an allen key or hex socket. Also the inside that you tell me to reach is not a nut. It is an insert with threads to accept the bolt. A wrench will not work on any of this.

The bolt head looks like this pic.

rusthater89 08-14-2012 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do not know the correct terminology so pardon any confusion.

The red lines point to the power steering bolts. They have these inserts that run through the frame. There is also a metal plate in that area that also hinders any access to the inner part of the bolt. The yellow line points to the "insert" or "nut" of the bolt that I am trying to remove. When I try to turn the bolt counter clockwise(as in tryna remove it) The "insert" that the bolt threads into turns counter clockwise with the bolt hence my problem with the bolt not coming out. the blue line is of course the bolt.

I basically need a way to keep the insert that the bolt threads into from moving so I can undo the bolt.

rusthater89 08-15-2012 02:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I pulled out my stick welder and just welded the darn insert in place. I also did it for another one that was having the same issue.

Does anyone know what this piece of bent up metal is? It was attached to the passenger side, rear part of the frame.

Is there any other way to remove this fuel line hose without cutting it or using a hook tool?

rusthater89 08-15-2012 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the other insert which was accesible from inside the frame. A long 6013 rod did the trick.

66GMC 08-15-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusthater89 (Post 1582823)
If I saw it off then how am I gonna put it back together when there is still half a bolt inside the hole? Also how am I gonna use a 9/16 wrench when the bolt head is one of those that require the use of an allen key or hex socket. Also the inside that you tell me to reach is not a nut. It is an insert with threads to accept the bolt. A wrench will not work on any of this.

The bolt head looks like this pic.

Well, I did figure out / understand the "socket-head cap screw" part, but assumed there was a standard hex-nut on the backside ... and that is what I was suggesting could be held with a wrench.

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/im...ut%20round.gif
I'm not 100% sure of the correct name of those insert-nuts, but I call them "riv-nuts" or "nut-serts". They are commonly used to hold mirrors on the side of a door, luggage-racks on a trunk lid, etc.


I gotta say that I have never seen them used on a cross-member. That is usually nut-and-bolt or rivet territory.

rusthater89 08-15-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66GMC (Post 1583156)
Well, I did figure out / understand the "socket-head cap screw" part, but assumed there was a standard hex-nut on the backside ... and that is what I was suggesting could be held with a wrench.

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/im...ut%20round.gif
I'm not 100% sure of the correct name of those insert-nuts, but I call them "riv-nuts" or "nut-serts". They are commonly used to hold mirrors on the side of a door, luggage-racks on a trunk lid, etc.


I gotta say that I have never seen them used on a cross-member. That is usually nut-and-bolt or rivet territory.

Yea, I am lucky that I had the welder. I think I would've been screwed otherwise.

MRTS33 08-15-2012 08:59 PM

Someone must have striped out those holes and put the nut insert in there. Which is alright I guess. I would tach weld them in there though and chase the treads with a tap and use regular bolts with a dab of never siz on them. Don't know about that bent piece. Where did it come from? What are you tring to doing with th fuel line?

rusthater89 08-16-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRTS33 (Post 1583203)
Someone must have striped out those holes and put the nut insert in there. Which is alright I guess. I would tach weld them in there though and chase the treads with a tap and use regular bolts with a dab of never siz on them. Don't know about that bent piece. Where did it come from? What are you tring to doing with th fuel line?

Well as you saw I did use my stick welder to weld them in place. When I blast the frame It should clean out the inserts.

The bent piece was bolted to the back of the sub frame on the passenger side.

I want the fuel line removed. If you noticed from the pics my frame is bare. I need to remove it from the body to sand blast. This Trans Am is gonna be restored.

boothboy 08-16-2012 09:43 AM

The retaining nut you refer to are indeed "riv nuts" (actually rivet nuts) and they basically work like a pop rivet. The tightening of the bolt expands the rivet nut in the hole to hold it tight. They are used in a blind hole (no access to the back side of the structural material). The easiest way to remove a stuck bolt from a riv nut is to apply continuous upward pressure between the attached item and the base it's attached to. A cold chisel or screwdriver usually works. Then spin the bolt off with a impact wrench. One of two things usually happens. Either the bolt come out or you pull the riv nut completely from the hole. It really doesn't matter because the parts off. The trick is how fast the impact turns the bolt.
BB


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.