dashgraftingona50forddash - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

dashgraftingona50forddash

Idliketofindsomeonewhohas modifiedadashona49or50forusingtwodashesinordertoge tuseoutofspeedosandclockholes

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Some of us like to use this thing called a SPACEBAR....its the biggest key on the keyboard. Its right in the middle at the bottom of the keyboard. If you can't find it, I can send you a pic of where it is at.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

SoThatswhatthatbigblackbarisforThanksWeimer!

Brad
Old 07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

doing it right now. oh wait. I'mdoingitrightnowputtingtwofiveinchandthreetwoand onehalfinchesinit. Crap I can stand to do that hold on.

I'm doing it right now, putting two five inch and the 2 two and one half inches in it. Two where the speedo is and the others equal up to the clock. but not with 2 dashes. I feel that is kind of a waste of a dash unless it is a real torn up dash otherwise.

I am taking a mold splash of the original and making 2 copies. Making a splash off the clock and making 2 was well. Then cutting the dash for clearance and grafting the casts in. Speedo shifted so edge is to old Centerline and of dial and Tach on the right to. Then putting the small ones equally spaced to the clock that has a supercharger gauge in it. Very simple to do.

1st. Clean the dash. If it doesnt have a smooth finish already Mask it from the front leading edge nad overlap front to back with the tape (this is important as if you mask it from back to front it will act like a louver and hold the mold off when you put it)

2nd. Put a peice of cardboard cut the size of the lenses over the gauges and Carefully mask the edge off with Painters tape (make sure to cover the cardboard with tape after you cut the circle, BEFORE you cover the lense, it will make it easier to get a better seal).

3rd. Wax the dash with a product called 9 D release agent or Johnsons Paste wax. But not too much as you want the "Mold Glass" to stay where you want it.

4th. Mix up a generous amount of hardener into some high quality body filler. Apply quickly to inside opening to the lip and then out. Firmly and seamlessly try not to capture too much air onto the dash surface in this skim coat. Over the entire surface you want to copy. Be careful not to Die lock the part. The Dash stamping was made on a progressive die so it has a great draft angle for pulling unless you capture the wheel lip.
(Do Not try to make the top side smooth!! Make it "spikey" for the good adhesion to the next layer)

5th. When the filler is dry (I left it about an hour and a half) Mix up some Glass with "Kitty Hair". Then pushed it into and around the spikes I left on the skim. This will lock the glass to the filler forming a mechanical bond. Leave a bump to grab on the back youll see why in a second. Let this dry really good I left it and slept on it (not literally)

6th. Have a good breakfast. (just got up lol)

7th. Grab the bump on the back top and finess it down and out. Patience here, you are pulling your mold off mind you. If you have done this right you should have a pretty good mold. (if it sticks drill a hole on the front face so that you can shoot some air into it with a air nozzle, you can fill the hole later)

8th. Fill in the low spots or holes in the mold with a thin layer of filler as needed and sand out.

9th. Cut off any areas on edge that is not wanted but leave a little long about 2 inches. This is so you have alittle extra when you graft the peice. consider anything that may hang up and will be a die locks pulling the newly laid up part out of your new mold.

10th. Coat the inside with epoxy primer

11th. Make a card board box (or make a wood one if your feeling handy) that will fit the mold top down. Get a couple cans of that ridgid self rising foam. Shoot a wad in the center box and as it is rising palce the "mold" in the stuff to support it but not surround it. then Fill in the edges with the foam only enough to support it.

12th. Wax up new mold and lay up a part like any other glass part. There is alot of info on here on how so I wont ramble on about it.

13th. Then graft it, I am riveting it to the dash and feathering it out.

14th How you mont the gauges its up to your application. I am back mounting with straps screwed to stand offs and insets I applied to the inside of my molded part.

15th Clean it up. Paint it up!

I am going through it right now and I will post some shots as soon as I am finished

Last edited by creativeinteriors; 07-12-2005 at 09:56 PM. Reason: ran out of time to post all at once

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.