Database for brake disks? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 12:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Database for brake disks?

Sorry for the dumb question but...
Does anyone know of a database or site where I can look up brake disk dimensions? (I know there are millions of different rotor out there, but if I could just narrow it down a bit...GM, Chrysler, etc)

I'm doing a brake conversion, and need to see disk dimensions (mainly hat depth, overall height) so I can figure out offset possibilities. To start, I know I am looking at a 11� (280mm) diameter disk. The thickness can be between 23mm-30mm As far as bolt circles go, I will be looking at both 4 lug and 5 lug setups. (Worse case scenario I will have them re-drilled.) As confusing as this may sound right now, I'm trying to see what choices I will have, either going with a front or rear hub mount. A Front hub mount, will add offset (hat thickness) and that I will have take into consideration when choosing wheels. I am hoping to be able to find the right disk, so I will not have to use spacers when mounting the calipers

For the curious that want to know what I'm doing...
It is a 72 Toyota Celica with a Buick Grand National Drive train. It currently has 86 Toyota Supra struts with coilovers up front, that provided a larger brake caliper and rotor over the stock Celica. And has a Ford 9� rear end with a disk setup.
My upgrade plans are to use a quad piston caliper from a Nissan 300ZX (Z32) This caliper bolts directly onto the Supra strut. The factory strut had a 4 lug (rear mount disk) hub. Early Nissan Z31 5 lug hubs bolt directly on to the Supra strut as well, so I am hoping to find a 280mm disk that would be a rear mount to bolt onto the back of the Z31 hub and have the right hat offset to center in the caliper.
I have looked at a bunch of on-line brake parts places but none list the crucial dimensions that I need, and searching randomly this way (just punching in random vehicles) is kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack. I know I may not be able to come up with the exact disk, so minor machining and small caliper spacers are acceptable.

FWIW Please don't tell me to just buy a Wilwood brake kit.

Thanks,
Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Buickguy

Last journal entry: And now the new project
Last photo:

The most frustrating thing in my life (okay, top 50 anyway) was finding the right rotors for my Buick Skylark. In the end I turned the axle flanges down to fit inside the rotor hat. I tried to buy rotors from SBC and Wilwood and they just don't sell them separately.

Here's my experience for the rear. You have a choice of 10.5 or 11 inch rotors - they are all the same thickness (except for the non-vented 10.5 rotors that came on some 80s Camaros) at roughly 1.1 inches.

http://www.rockauto.com/ has a pretty good site for checking out dimensions and such you simply have to look up by car....
Old 11-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Instead of asking the parts stores.....I would think that you could go straight to one of the rotor manufacturers and get a list of the demensions of the rotors that they make. Most manufacturers have web sites.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

The manufacturers no doubt have internal databases for their parts, but I don't believe you or I can get access to that information.

As far as after market suppliers, while they might have websites, they'll likely be in Chinese.

Check with NAPA and see if they have numerical/dimensions data in their brake parts catalog.

I have an old Chassis Parts Catalog from NAPA that has been very beneficial in finding steering rack, tie rod end and king pins info including dimensions for several categories of items.

Let us know as I won't be able to get to a NAPA store for a couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Buickguy

Last journal entry: And now the new project
Last photo:

I suppose I should have been clearer in my prior post.
www.RockAuto.com has pictures, drawings, dimensions, and comparisons of many of the parts they carry. Their only "drawback" (drawback for those seeking to find a part that fits) is you need to know what cars have what option you are looking for on them.
For example, when looking for rear disk brakes - you need to know that 1979 Firebirds, 1983-1992 Camaros Z-28 and IROC, 1977-1979 Cadillacs Sevilles all have 5 on 4 3/4 bolt patterns and they are vented rear rotors... you can't simply say "list all rear disk brakes"... you have to know the make, year, options, and some cases sub options to look up the parts... despite that "limitation" it is an invaluable site for at least doing a preliminary search for what you are looking for.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I'm quite sure that Wagner has a drum and rotor spec book that gives dimensions and minimum thickness specs. They give that book to the installers who usually hang it up next to their brake lathe.

I also seem to recall one of the Wagner books (buyer's guide?) had a letter that designated the "hat" style and had all of those dimensions as well.

If I get a second tomorrow, at work, I'll try to scrounge thru the pile of "seldom-used" catalogs upstairs, and see if I can find it and give you the proper name and publication number...
Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Brembo is the only one that I know of that has that kind of info.
https://www.brembo.com/ENG/catalogo_AM/2007/index.html

You can also download their catalog but be warned it is VERY BIG (283 MB)
Old 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Triaged:

That's an awesome catalog!

Bookmarked!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

That is an awesome catalog.
I am not saying call wilwood and buy a kit...

BUT!
Wilwood also has a catalog that lists the parts by dimension.

Check it out here,
http://catalogs.wilwood.com/_pages/tech.html

If you find the rotor you like, you can pair it up with a hat with the correct offset/ bolt center/ flange diameter and bolt kit.

Then call Jegs with the numbers and they can sell it to you at a pretty good savings.

I got all of the wilwood paper catalogs last year, they are a good source for rotors. I would use someone elses calipers though.

Here is another nifty page with some dimensions

http://www.wilwood.org/ds544.pdf

I'd print it out if I were you.

It may do you some good if you need a cross reference or want to get just the hub.

I have a Raybestos buyers guide, like the one that 66gmc is talking about, it lists rotors by size, but it leaves out some critical dimensions that make it hard to spec a rotor for an application.

You can also try Coleman racing.

Later, mikey

;

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 11-23-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, it is greatly appreciated.
I'll have a look through that catalogue Triaged (Thanks)

I'm working on crunching some measurements that will hopefully give me the correct dimensions for the rotor I will need.

Paul
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

I'm getting closer. The Brembo catalog helped a lot. (Thanks) They didn't list any info for a 93 Mazda MPV 4WD disk. I still need to find the overall height for that disk. The search continues...

Paul
Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM

From www.napaonline.com

Quote:
Item#: NB 4886321

Price: $41.99
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
Features & Benefits:Manufactured with Original Equipment Vane Configuration.
Features & Benefits:Meets Original Equipment Fit
Form & Function.
Brake Rotor Type: Disc Brake Rotor Only
Bolt Circle Diameter:4.5"
Outside Diameter:10.86"
Discard Thickness:1.024"
Thickness When New:1.1"
Height:2.515"
Vented / Solid:Vented
Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

Right in front of my face... LOL I feel a little sheepish. Napa online is now my friend.

Thanks
Paul
Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

After much searching (again, thanks for the links) and some previous legwork done by some friends, I have found the right (or really close) disk for my setup.
It is a 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT disk:
80mm (11.0” ) Diameter
26.4mm (1.04” ) Thick
39.6mm (1.56” ) Height
I was looking at the options of going with a front hub mount or rear mount disk setup. The problem with the front hub mount (MPV disk) was it gave me a +14mm wheel offset.
For those that are curious...
My Toyota strut shaft MA61 shares the same bearings as the early Nissan Z31 hubs, so the Nissan 5 lug hub will bolt directly on to the strut. The Nissan Z32 4 piston fixed caliper, and Infinity Q45 2 piston sliding caliper also bolts directly on to the strut. The task was to find the right size disk with the correct offset or hat height, to work with the calipers without having to use mount bracket spacers or shims.
Last task is to now find a bearing grease seal that fits the Z31 hub and MA61 axle.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM

I've got a link for the seals too...

http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalo...ogue=1&lang=en

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.