DC4010 Clear over Waterborne? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DC4010 Clear over Waterborne?

OK... Just got done spending a fortune at my local paint store to get ready to paint my '32 Coupe. Got everything I need and I am doing it with Envirobase. But when it came to getting the clear the guys at the store said they had never heard of the PPG Global D8188 and that I could use any clear over the PPG envirobase. I walked out with the good old DC4010 Velocity Clear.

But when I look at the tech sheet for the Envirobase, it does not list this clear in the list of compatible clear coats.

Any painters out there know for sure from experience if the DC4010 can be used over Envirobase?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Most countermen these days do not know enough about the products they sell to make reliable recommendations. If I was in California, painting a '32 with Envirobase, I would probably want to use Global D8188 clear.

Get some more opinions before you use that 4010, which to me is a production repair clear not well suited to your project.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
Most countermen these days do not know enough about the products they sell to make reliable recommendations. If I was in California, painting a '32 with Envirobase, I would probably want to use Global D8188 clear.

Get some more opinions before you use that 4010, which to me is a production repair clear not well suited to your project.
I think the 4010 is just a thinned version of the 2010 which is what I used to use in the solvent days. But I agree, I think I should take this stuff back and stick to the plan. This is my first time with the envirobase and when I talked to PPG about my the clear they had originally agreed to the D8188.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I believe 4010 is the low VOC version of DC4000, which in turn is the updated version of DC3000, a relatively new production shop clear. If you end up using Deltron clear, a Concept clear like 2002 or 2021 would perform better than 4010 or 4000, but they are probably not compliant.

BTW, most urethane clears will perform well over dry waterborne base. A test panel can be shot to check adhesion.

Last edited by crashtech; 05-02-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

OK... I spoke to the PPG techs today. Here is the deal.

The DC4010 is compatable with the envirobase waterborne. When I asked him about it not being on the tech sheet, he said that the tech sheet came out when the EPA was trying to figure things out. He said that the DC4010 is "best quality" in the Deltron product line and the D8188 is "best quality" in the Global product line.

Here is the part that got interesting. He then asked but what product family are you used as and under-coat. I told him the SX1071, DLV8005, and DLV8085 which are all from the Global products line. He said that that was more important than the envirobase and because I am starting with the Global line he suggested staying with the D8188 due to it being a Global product and being specifically designed for the envirobase waterborne product.

So... to make a long store short (too late), I will be taking the DC4010 back, even though technically it should work, and getting the D8188.

Just wanted to update this incase anyone else ran across this problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Last photo:

Your PPG rep shot straight with you, and I agree the counter guys at the paint store don't know squat.

Vince
Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markha
OK... Just got done spending a fortune at my local paint store to get ready to paint my '32 Coupe. Got everything I need and I am doing it with Envirobase. But when it came to getting the clear the guys at the store said they had never heard of the PPG Global D8188 and that I could use any clear over the PPG envirobase. I walked out with the good old DC4010 Velocity Clear.

But when I look at the tech sheet for the Envirobase, it does not list this clear in the list of compatible clear coats.

Any painters out there know for sure from experience if the DC4010 can be used over Envirobase?
Water based base coats take a Urethane clear coat...All of them
Now it is Always better to use the Clear coat the manufacture specifies...JUST to make sure your warranties are up held...That being said if you cant get the specified clear.......Shoot a urethance clear over it No Problem
Most of the specified Products from the same manufacture are made to get you to buy thier stuff

If PPG runs out of Clear for a month for whatever reason the world of painting wont stop

I have been shooting waterbased for some time....I have had NO ISSUES with any Urethane clear over PPG or Dupont water based product.....Matrix either

52F1

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.