DCC with clear? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2002, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post DCC with clear?

Hello All.. I have completed body work on my 67 camaro.. Almost time to paint.. I have decided on Viper red. I am trying to decide wheither to go with PPG two stage DBU, DCU or single stage DCC.. I have talked to a few body men around here and after I explain to them that I will be driving this car almost everday; I should go with DCC .... Spray the car with 2 or three coats of DCC and then on the last few coats mix. about half and half with 2010 clear. Any help is appreciated. I will be spraying this in a garage with a ventalation system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Stay with a good two stage paint, not single stage. If you want a good hard long lasting paint go with a polyurethane or acrylic urethane enamel. They will both hold up to everyday driving excellent.

HK
Old 12-11-2002, 05:52 PM

I agree with HK. Use a two stage system. It can sometimes be more forgiving when spraying. In my experience it it easier to buff. Comes in handy when painting in a garage. also will hold up much better and longer than single stage systems.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:41 AM

thanks for the help. great I will go with two stage. Now next question, DBU or DBC.. Also what Clear should I use for a good job in cooler weather between 60 and 65.f In the shop.

thanks again
Old 12-12-2002, 10:37 AM

byoung , B/C C/C is the way to go. Holds up well if applied properly and any future damage will be easy to do spot blend repairs. Check this placehere for specific recommendations on their products.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:45 AM

byoung, try
here
at the product sheets.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:11 PM

I WOULD SPRAY IT WITH DBC USE A FAST DRYING REDUCER #860. IF YOU ARE SPRAYING A METALLIC COLOR AND YOUR GARAGE CAN BE KEPT AT 70 DEGREES YOU MIGHT WANT TO USE 870 ON YOUR LAST 2 COATS BE SURE YOU LET THE COATS FLASH [BECOME DRY TO TOUCH]BETWEEN COATS. I WOULD USE PPG 2042 CLEAR IN A GARAGE BECAUSE IT SETS UP REAL FAST.ITS A VERY HIGH QUALITY CLEAR ITS ALSO VERY HIGH SOLIDS SO IT SPRAYS THICK. YOU CAN SAFELY OVER REDUCE IT WITH REDUCER 10% SO ITS EASIER TO SPRAY.ITS EXPENSIVE ABOUT 40.00 A SPRAYABLE QT. PPG ALSO HAS OMNI CLEAR THATS FAST DRYING AND MORE AFFORDABLE.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:28 PM

DO you think it will be safe to paint with shop temp between 60 and 65 degrees?
what reducer should I use for this temp range? Should I take a chance at this temp or wait till warmer weather?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:50 AM

65 degrees is minimum temp. anything less and your clear will not dry right. use the fastest reducer i think its 860 but check with jobber there might be a 850.also make sure you use the fastest catalyst they sell for the clear you buy. if 65 is max temp and you use 2042 use a little more reducer around 10%. let the clear dry tacky to the touch[none comes off on your finger when you touch it. 65 deg. is no problem with basecoat patients is the key to painting with no booth .
Old 12-16-2002, 03:49 PM

I am not big on PPG products but the autobody suuply store I work for sells a bunch of DBC. I learned to paint with DBU and switche dover to DuPont B/C C/C. I am thinking of trying the DBC because all the painters I know like it much better than the DBC. I hear it covers extremly well and is much easier to work with. The DBC has a reactive reducer that goes with it which means whatever you don't use you have to throw away. The DBC does not and what ever you mix and don't use you can put back in the can. Tis is one of the reason's I did not like DBU. Red is also a color that is hard to cover, just ask anyone that paints.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:19 PM

DBU USES REACTIVE REDUCER DBC DOES NOT.THE NICE THING ABOUT DBC IS IT DRIES FAST AND YOU CAN WETSAND IMPERFECTIONS OUT.BUT YOU CAN NOT CLEAR OVER WETSANDED BASE.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Base coat/clear coat requires more labor because the smallest scratches show. I use PPG's single stage paint which fills small scratches for the base coat. I then wet sand w/a rubber sanding blk when cured & clear coat it w/(2020). I usually paint my cars blk & this helps flatten the surface & covers small imperfections.The only time I use base coat/clear coat is when I'm shooting metallics.....Don
Old 12-18-2002, 06:43 PM

Hey Don, it's been a while since you painted hasn't it? 2020 has not been available in my area for about 3 years now. I work in a paint supply store and PPG discontinued it.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

i would use 2000 clear coat by ppg, its most clear and doesnt yellow your base coat as other clears do
Old 12-19-2002, 12:46 PM

The clearest clear I have ever used was made by Standox, it was clear as water. but very expensive. it cost about $200.00 per 5ltr to spray but a very nice clear just the same. Standox is DuPonts high end "european" paint very nice, it sprays like silk.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.