DCR Calculation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 120
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DCR Calculation

There is a huge thread on this topic that has been moved to "The Dump". Why?

I didn't have time to go through the entire thread, but I immediately noticed that the duration used for the calc was the wrong duration.

The only way to figure DCR is by using the duration where the intake valve is effectively closed, which is the "seat-to-seat" duration, AKA, "advertised" duration. Comp Cams uses duration at .015" valve lift, and sometimes .012 amd .010 as well. This is known in the SAE as J604d duration, which is duration at .006" valve lift.

Was this ever addressed in the thread?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Yep you got to measure it for most cam or call and ask what the actual measured specs are.

Is .006 or .001 best to use for dcr? When using a dail indicator right on the retainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 7,088
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 540 Times in 456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965tripleblack View Post
There is a huge thread on this topic that has been moved to "The Dump". Why?

I didn't have time to go through the entire thread, but I immediately noticed that the duration used for the calc was the wrong duration.

The only way to figure DCR is by using the duration where the intake valve is effectively closed, which is the "seat-to-seat" duration, AKA, "advertised" duration. Comp Cams uses duration at .015" valve lift, and sometimes .012 amd .010 as well. This is known in the SAE as J604d duration, which is duration at .006" valve lift.

Was this ever addressed in the thread?
You are pretty much correct on this. The rising piston is applying a lot of pressure to the mixture in a situation not unlike the exhaust side during that cycle. So having the intake closure point at .015 inch and gussing an additional 15 degrees if that's even done is simply not adaquate as the pistong will be forcing much greater reverse flow than one would think if that information was related to intake flow at a depression of 28 inches of water.

Different manufacturer's give absolute degrees in some value other that truely shut valve degrees these are often measured from .001 to .006 inch from the seat. While not "perfect" this is a lot better situation than from .015 inch or guessing that the cam actually seats the valve with an additional 15 degrees as many cams, especially older grinds have extraordinarily long ramps and 15 degrees doesn't get close to true valve closure.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 120
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
You are pretty much correct on this. The rising piston is applying a lot of pressure to the mixture in a situation not unlike the exhaust side during that cycle. So having the intake closure point at .015 inch and gussing an additional 15 degrees if that's even done is simply not adaquate as the pistong will be forcing much greater reverse flow than one would think if that information was related to intake flow at a depression of 28 inches of water.

Different manufacturer's give absolute degrees in some value other that truely shut valve degrees these are often measured from .001 to .006 inch from the seat. While not "perfect" this is a lot better situation than from .015 inch or guessing that the cam actually seats the valve with an additional 15 degrees as many cams, especially older grinds have extraordinarily long ramps and 15 degrees doesn't get close to true valve closure.

Bogie
Old flat tappet cams, like the "30-30" have ridiculously large spreads between .050 (254) and seat-to-seat (310) durations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965tripleblack View Post
There is a huge thread on this topic that has been moved to "The Dump". Why?

I didn't have time to go through the entire thread, but I immediately noticed that the duration used for the calc was the wrong duration.

The only way to figure DCR is by using the duration where the intake valve is effectively closed, which is the "seat-to-seat" duration, AKA, "advertised" duration. Comp Cams uses duration at .015" valve lift, and sometimes .012 amd .010 as well. This is known in the SAE as J604d duration, which is duration at .006" valve lift.

Was this ever addressed in the thread?
No idea why it landed in the dump, I started it, and wasn't offended, or offending anyone I don't think, course I do ask some stupid questions occasionally....but I was actually learning something sifting through it all.....ah well. Its not my sandbox.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
thinwhiteduke's Avatar
Living In The Past
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Downunder
Age: 55
Posts: 428
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
I can't figure why it was dumped either, I learn a lot by reading through these posts too.

F'BIRD-88, this is for you in regard to you question in the 'dumped' thread. I sent to you PM also, before I found this one.

My aim was to achieve 11:1 SCR, or real close to it. If my heads were as advertised at 64cc , that's right about where I would be. The combustion chambers in the heads were measured accurately with the correct equipment by me and my machinist at his shop.

The block, a 2 bolter from a '73 Impala, was stock everything when I tore it down. Never had the heads of, factory.

Specs are now,
Bore: 4.030"
Stroke: 3.48"
Piston to Deck Clearance: .005"
Head Gasket bore: 4.060"
Head Gasket Compressed Thickness: .030"
Pistons: KB171-020 hypers with compression distance of 1.561", not rebuilders. Valve reliefs are marginal at 1cc, actually not even 1cc but I called it that. My machinist and I fly cut the pistons to give minimum piston to valve clearance as I was chasing compression.
Head Chambers: 61cc

Let's know what you get.

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,309
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 836
Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965tripleblack View Post
There is a huge thread on this topic that has been moved to "The Dump". Why?
Here's the explanation by Moderator Sam.....

"Rude personal attacks are not tolerated here and I am not sorting out any ones personal complaints. I am dumping this thread so if you guys wish to discuss this topic you can do so in a polite and courteous way.."

Sam
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
I personally would like to see this subject continued and I promise to be civil. I have no idea who wrote the straw that broke Sam's back and don't care.

Richard

Last edited by techinspector1; 01-16-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Here's the explanation by Moderator Sam.....

"Rude personal attacks are not tolerated here and I am not sorting out any ones personal complaints. I am dumping this thread so if you guys wish to discuss this topic you can do so in a polite and courteous way.."

Sam
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
I personally would like to see this subject continued and I promise to be civil. I have no idea who wrote the straw that broke Sam's back and don't care.

Richard
Agreed....I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff and am learning a ton.....and will happily keep any sarcasm in check. If you had a clue how much cash I spent 3 years ago on a build that never overly impressed me, and now feel very silly about. You would laugh your *** off. The difference between then, and now, is this place....and these sometimes ridiculously long winded threads that actually contain alot of good info. And I appreciate it. Nuf said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hopewell, Va
Age: 62
Posts: 1,232
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 123 Times in 119 Posts
DCR Calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwhiteduke View Post
I can't figure why it was dumped either, I learn a lot by reading through these posts too.

F'BIRD-88, this is for you in regard to you question in the 'dumped' thread. I sent to you PM also, before I found this one.

My aim was to achieve 11:1 SCR, or real close to it. If my heads were as advertised at 64cc , that's right about where I would be. The combustion chambers in the heads were measured accurately with the correct equipment by me and my machinist at his shop.

The block, a 2 bolter from a '73 Impala, was stock everything when I tore it down. Never had the heads of, factory.

Specs are now,
Bore: 4.030"
Stroke: 3.48"
Piston to Deck Clearance: .005"
Head Gasket bore: 4.060"
Head Gasket Compressed Thickness: .030"
Pistons: KB171-020 hypers with compression distance of 1.561", not rebuilders. Valve reliefs are marginal at 1cc, actually not even 1cc but I called it that. My machinist and I fly cut the pistons to give minimum piston to valve clearance as I was chasing compression.
Head Chambers: 61cc

Let's know what you get.

Duke
I hope this is misprint Pistons: KB171-020 hypers. Bore 4.030 anyway the cr. is 11.484.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I hope this is misprint Pistons: KB171-020 hypers. Bore 4.030 anyway the cr. is 11.484.
Weird......see bore

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 82
Thanked 315 Times in 272 Posts
And yet up top......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,309
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 836
Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Agreed....I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff and am learning a ton.....and will happily keep any sarcasm in check. If you had a clue how much cash I spent 3 years ago on a build that never overly impressed me, and now feel very silly about. You would laugh your *** off. The difference between then, and now, is this place....and these sometimes ridiculously long winded threads that actually contain alot of good info. And I appreciate it. Nuf said.
On another forum, 1Gary went through a long list of things that have been cussed and discussed in the past couple of years that we hadn't talked about before. I think the collective group of us fellows is actually making a dent in the thought process of younguns who are tackling their first engine build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM
thinwhiteduke's Avatar
Living In The Past
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Downunder
Age: 55
Posts: 428
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I hope this is misprint Pistons: KB171-020 hypers. Bore 4.030 anyway the cr. is 11.484.
Yeah, that's the cr I got too.
Misprint, yeah probably, I just used the 'narrow your results'
column in the search page on summits site and typed in 4.030 and that's what came up. I thought the p/n looked wrong when i typed it in. Anyway the machinist had the pistons before he bored the block so I'm sure it's ok, but I'll check my paper invoice when I get home on the weekend too be sure! Ya got me scared now! Thanks.

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
OneMoreTime's Avatar
Hotrodders.com moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Age: 70
Posts: 7,510
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 79
Thanked 173 Times in 161 Posts
Here is a good article on dynamic compression ratio:

Classic Inlines - Compression Ratio's

As you can see the dynamic compression is what the engine actually sees in operation. This can be manipulated by valve event timing in other words at what point in the cycle of the cylinder does the valve actually close.

Sam
__________________
I have tried most all of it and now do what is known to work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to OneMoreTime For This Useful Post:
thinwhiteduke (01-16-2013)
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
thinwhiteduke's Avatar
Living In The Past
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Downunder
Age: 55
Posts: 428
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Here is a good article on dynamic compression ratio:

Classic Inlines - Compression Ratio's

As you can see the dynamic compression is what the engine actually sees in operation. This can be manipulated by valve event timing in other words at what point in the cycle of the cylinder does the valve actually close.

Sam
That's good, thanks for posting that!

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fully understanding DCR prostcelica Hotrodding Basics 29 01-17-2013 12:32 PM
? about DCR for my 350 sbc streetmaster42 Engine 4 03-13-2008 02:06 AM
Another DCR question. Hippie Engine 7 08-04-2005 02:00 PM
hp and e.t. calculation camino_man Hotrodding Basics 1 06-21-2004 09:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.