Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - dead cylinder? Confused and about to lose my mind
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok, so I decided on my day off to tear it down some. didnt have time to go to indepth on it.
I went ahead and removed the intake manifold. Needless to say that the gasket was beyond tore up. But it went down hill from there. I didnt have a compression gauge to check the cylinders. But I had a buddy turn it over by hand. I did find that the #6 was not sealing at all. both valves were moving good. however when it go into the compression stroke I could see bubbles leaking from the intake valve and you can hear a hissing noise coming from it. I also noticed that the two valves had a different amount of travel when they closed. the intake valave didnt seem toclose enough like the exhaust valve did. Also when i removed the intake the exhaust port that connects the #4 and #3 exhaust valves was clogged. i had to chisel it out with a screwdriver. I cleaned everything up and also noticed that on passenger side head there were large gouges taken out in the head by the #2 and #4 Intake valves. I did check the plugs and the amount of spark and the color of them. They all spark the same and all but the #6 plug are a slight brown color. the #6 is still white. I am sure at this point I need to replace he heads. I am sure I could probably get away with just getting a valve job. but seeing the knicks in the head concerned me. I replaced all the intake gaskets. I also reset the timing. it was also off some. it runs better than it did but is still popping when it is under a load. if I am gentle with it she seems to do ok but the slightest hill I had to climb you can feel the loss in power and she starts popping. Is there anything I could possibly do with the valves to fix them without replacing the heads or am I at the point I am lucky it is still running?