DEAF Scout - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

DEAF Scout

Just a note in passing - A few years ago I was a Scoutmaster (while my kid was in Scouts)

One of the kids in the troop I was working with was profoundly deaf - had been born without some of the gizmos in his inner ears. Hearing aids were of no use. We used a flashing strobe to catch his attention and then he would read lips.

ANYWAY - back the hotrodding part - one day I took my troop to the drags - and made every one of them wear good ear protectors - except him, of course.

Anyway - we were not too far from the line when a couple of AA Fuelers went off, and this boy had the most blissful look I have ever seen - those cars made the very first sound he had ever heard in his entire life!

I will never forget that look. Its why we all do some of the things we do.

Just a thot for those of you who hang out at the strip - see if some of the students from the local school for the deaf want to come along. It will be worth it - both for them and for you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"had been born without some of the gizmos in his inner ears"

If true I am very happy for the lad but I have to ask how if parts of the inner ear are missing ?
Maybe the so loud sound "jumped" the gap.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Malc
Probably felt the vibrations more than actually heard them.

Not just anyplace you can feel something like that -- not only in your head, but everywhere.

(okay---git your minds out of the gutter )
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Last photo:

Bryan nailed it IMHO, it was the vibrations, you can feel them all over your body.

One thing I remember very well was when I went to my first Reno Air race in 1971. Back then the FAA and air show people were not as concerned as they are today about crowd control. I went with a group of about six USAF buddies and we all had pit passes. We situated ourselves under one of the pylons. As the unlimited's came rounding the pylon I was laying on my back. The sound and vibrations were absolutely awesome.

Vince
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I just want to extend my appreciation for your being a Scouter.

I was in to my neck from Tiger Cub through Eagle and would repeat it all over if I could. Not only being able to spend time with your son(s) but with other young men is but one of the benefits. All too often though there were adults who thought BSA meant Baby Sitters of America and did not participate.

Those are the ones that missed out.

Thumbs up to you. Hope others make the effort with their kids.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
I was a Den leader for 5 years and watching those same boys all those years starting out at 6 years old was one of the greatest things I have done in my life. What a joy watching those boys learn and grow.

On the drags, I have to say I would laugh at the people with ear protection on calling them wimps. Back a while ago I took along some good ear protection for my son and myself (to set an example) and I couldn't believe how much more enjoyable it was! Right at the light, oh my God what a difference FEELING that power without having my attention on my ears hurting, how dumb I was.

Brian
Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

First, very nice doing your civic duty.

Second, the boy isn't 100% deaf. Beethoven was deaf, but he could hear himself play the piano if he held a wooden stick in his teeth and pressed it against the piano. So from the sound of your story, he actually did hear for the first time.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
"had been born without some of the gizmos in his inner ears"

If true I am very happy for the lad but I have to ask how if parts of the inner ear are missing ?
Maybe the so loud sound "jumped" the gap.
My grandson is deaf (cochlear doesnt work) he can how ever hear certain sounds. He is 2 and if the phone rings he goes right to it. I think ciertain ranges still produce some sort of sensation. He is getting an implant soon we hope it will give him some hearing back

Chet
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Deaf Scout

I guess I always assumed that the sound vibrations that travel right through your entire body also vibrated his skull, jawbones etc, and the sheer magnitude of the sound vibrations were transmitted and received as something he could actually hear - the first sound he had ever heard. By the way, I later heard that he made his parents take him back to the strip again and again.

If you have ever spent any time near the line when a pair of 8,000 HP top fuel (or AA F/C) cars launch, you know what I mean. Just stand there, wearing the best hearing protection in the world, but let your mouth hang open a bit - believe me - you WILL feel every single particle of your body receive and transmit that sound.

Hmmmm.... Now that I think about it, I wonder if the profoundly deaf might be the best tuners and mechs for those beasts, as well as the best start-line crews for NHRA and for the teams themselves?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Anyway - we were not too far from the line when a couple of AA Fuelers went off, and this boy had the most blissful look I have ever seen - those cars made the very first sound he had ever heard in his entire life!

Dave57210,I have two grandsons that where born profoundly deaf. If the kid
was born deaf he will never hear.He did not hear the cars he only felt
the vibrations.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.