Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dealing with Napa on air compressor...???
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 10:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've found two models that are just like the one I'm looking for at local shops around town. One at a body shop and one at a service center. One concern I've found is the pressure switch contacts. This unit uses a cheap one made in china. The contacts are thin and I don't think they will last very long. I also found out the tank is made by Douglas which is based in California. Reading there site, they seem to have a high standard in quality. That was another concern. Also, the wiring for this compressor is way over kill. The company that makes this compressor say you have to use #8 wire for zero ft up to 50 ft. If you go past 50 ft, you have to go to the next size which is #6 wire. Don't know if any of you have done any residential wiring, but #6 wiring is big. I plan on building a room on the side of my shop for a compressor, but for know, I'll be mounting it inside. Another concern is the amps it take to run this unit. I found out it runs between 23-25 amps. But, the unit will spike up when starting. So, they requirer you to use a 60 amp breaker or fuse. In my case, my sub panel uses breakers. A 60 amp double pole breaker is not cheap. I'm not being cheap, just trying to watch the electric consumption. My monthly electric bill is not cheap. Another concern, or I should say is my biggest concern is dealing with Napa. Just wondering if any of you have had any good or bad deals with buying anything of this nature from Napa. I've already searched the boards threads about air compressors. Guess I should have stated that in my first post about concerns about buying from Napa. Anyways, if any of you have any pointers, they would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff

P.S My local Napa price is cheaper than what the website states. They said they would sell it to me for $1517.00 plus 6% sales taxes, which comes up to $1608.02.