Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   death wobble (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/death-wobble-219154.html)

tommyboy8072002 05-08-2012 12:56 PM

death wobble
 
hi i have a 96 Chevy c3500 1ton 5.7 v8 and my steering gear box has play on the bottom shaft how could i fix that

eloc431962 05-08-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
hi i have a 96 Chevy c3500 1ton 5.7 v8 and my steering gear box has play on the bottom shaft how could i fix that

You will have to re-place it or re-build it. JMO And add a steering stabilizer to if it don't already have one. :thumbup:



Cole
:pimp:

speedbump 05-08-2012 03:46 PM

If you're talking about slop, as in turn the wheel and the pitman arm doesn't move, you can adjust the screw on the top of the box(centered in aluminum housing held on with 4 bolts) in or clockwise to push the sector shaft more into mesh with the steering gear. Try it a quarter to half turn at a time and drive it between adjustments. If you get it too tight, you'll lose steering feel and the wheel won't return to center. Easy cheap fix, sometimes. If you're talking about being able to move the shaft back and forth in the housing, you're better off getting a rebuilt box.

S10 Racer 05-08-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eloc431962
You will have to re-place it or re-build it. JMO And add a steering stabilizer to if it don't already have one. :thumbup:



Cole
:pimp:

Agree 100,000,000,000,000,000,000.99% :thumbup:
I don't think this is even a real number :mwink:

tommyboy8072002 05-09-2012 01:16 PM

death wobble
 
i replaced the idler arm assembly i can get up to speed till i start to slow down then the front starts to shake really bad or when i hit the brakes what would cause it

S10 Racer 05-09-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
i replaced the idler arm assembly i can get up to speed till i start to slow down then the front starts to shake really bad or when i hit the brakes what would cause it

There are a number of things that can cause this.
1. Worn Upper/Lower Ball Joints
2. Worn Tie Rod Ends
3. Worn Pitman Arm
4. Bad Wheel Bearings

Check all of these and let us know what you find.

unclebill 05-10-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
There are a number of things that can cause this.
1. Worn Upper/Lower Ball Joints
2. Worn Tie Rod Ends
3. Worn Pitman Arm
4. Bad Wheel Bearings

Check all of these and let us know what you find.

yeah
go through it piece by piece and inspect/rebuild/replace all worn components.
torque to specs.
i have had to do this with two different vehicles.
it isnt too bad to do.
come to think of it.
rebuilding the boxes wasnt that tough either.
and i am an idiot.
so it should be a breeze for a normal person.

tommyboy8072002 05-10-2012 08:05 AM

death wobble
 
OK i have checked the wheel bearings tie rods ball joints nothing seems to be loose
i did replace the upper ball joint and the idler arm i also put new shocks on the front and it still does it i have to be missing something

adantessr 05-10-2012 08:20 AM

First, as already mentioned, adjust, rebuild or replace the steering box as needed. Get a front end alignment and tell them to dial in 3 to 3-1/2 degrees of positive caster. More, if the facory spec calls for it. It takes that much to keep a vehicle from wandering. Been there, done that.

tommyboy8072002 05-10-2012 09:41 AM

deaht wobble
 
OK thanks i will do that

LATECH 05-10-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
i replaced the idler arm assembly i can get up to speed till i start to slow down then the front starts to shake really bad or when i hit the brakes what would cause it

That sounds like a classic symptom af a bad LOWER Ball joint. The lower is the load bearing joint.
Lift each side of the truck, one side at a time with a floor jack, just a few inches off the floor. Then put a bar under the tire and lift gently, you will fell the play if it is worn.Have a buddy do it for you and lay down on the floor and look at the joint.They can also have play side to side so be sure to use the pry bar on that as well. catch it between the spindle and the control arm and pry. If you can see it move , its worn.

adantessr 05-11-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATECH
That sounds like a classic symptom af a bad LOWER Ball joint. The lower is the load bearing joint.
Lift each side of the truck, one side at a time with a floor jack, just a few inches off the floor. Then put a bar under the tire and lift gently, you will fell the play if it is worn.Have a buddy do it for you and lay down on the floor and look at the joint.They can also have play side to side so be sure to use the pry bar on that as well. catch it between the spindle and the control arm and pry. If you can see it move , its worn.

I'd like to add that the truck needs to be jacked under the lower control arm as close to the tire as possible, without binding against the tire.

T-bucket23 05-11-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
i replaced the idler arm assembly i can get up to speed till i start to slow down then the front starts to shake really bad or when i hit the brakes what would cause it

Are you sure you don't have a frozen caliper or a bad u-joint in an axle

LATECH 05-11-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adantessr
I'd like to add that the truck needs to be jacked under the lower control arm as close to the tire as possible, without binding against the tire.

That is VERY important. somehow I did not get that tid bit in the post. Good lookin out adantesser. :thumbup:

tommyboy8072002 05-13-2012 09:19 PM

death wobble 2wd dually with independent suspension
 
i did replace both calipers on the front i also had a problem with the brakes locking up before the wobble but i did bypass the abs unit and ran all new lines from the master to the wheels witch is has not locked up sense anyways i
removed both tires and put different ones on witch seem to help but i can still feel it a little but i will jack up one side at a time and check the ball joints with a bar and see if its not my lower ball joints i did replace my upper ball joint on the passenger side but i didn't replace the bottom one
i did remove my drive shaft to replace a seal on the transmission but i don't remember if it wobbled before that i have no idea if that would cause it to wobble or not.
I also would like to say thanks to everyone that is trying to help me figure
out this truck sense i never had a truck that did this before and your saving me $$$


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.