Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   death wobble looking for some help on this (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/death-wobble-looking-some-help-223025.html)

tommyboy8072002 08-18-2012 09:17 AM

death wobble looking for some help on this

Hi i have a 1996 chevy c3500 1 ton and i thought i had this problem fixed but i guess i was wrong when i start driving around 40-45 mph my front end shacks really bad so i turned the truck around to bring the truck home and it didn't wobble but when i got it up to 60 it wobbled but i did notice that my steering wheel gets loose before it starts to wobble then when i slow it down i steering wheel gets tight and it don't wobble i did have people look at my front end and they told me that it could be my gear box or it could be my alignment but then i had another person look at it today and he said it could be my hydro booster but i am not sure
i did change shocks,tie rods,ball joints and had the tires balanced

The other thing is the dealer ran the vin number this used to be a pick up
and now its a tow truck all made out of heavy steel and it also has a heavy bumper on the front of this thing its not a factory bumper would this have anything to do with the wobble please let me know thanks so much...

:smash:

S10xGN 08-19-2012 08:47 AM

First thing I'd do is put a jack under the a-arm and get the tire off the ground. Now grab the tire and wrack it back/forth and up/down. Do each side individually. This will check the wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie rods for slop.

Russ

LATECH 08-19-2012 09:57 AM

I agree with S10 GXN , a full inspection of the front end is needed.
After any worn parts are replaced, then get an alignment. And not just a "set the toe " kind either. Thats a lazy mans algnment.
I suspect the added weight of the wrecker body and all has caused the rear to ride lower, which changes the caster angle,probably enough to cause a wobble that you are describing.
Next time you go to the grocery store ( for beer no doubt) watch some of the shopping carts as the people are pushing them. You will see one every now and then that has a front wheel that wobbles back and forth like you are describing. This is due to excessive caster. Hmmm maybe that is why those little front wheels are called CASTERS. Peace:thumbup:

tommyboy8072002 08-19-2012 08:07 PM

death wobble

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I am going to double check the front end and then see if anything is loose and get the front end alinement is there anything else that i should look for before i do this
Thanks again

tommyboy8072002 08-20-2012 09:17 PM

death wobble

Just wanted to say thanks i had the alinement done. Witch took care of the death wobble till i hit a bump. But i am going to add a steering damper. Witch should get rid of that ( on the bumps.). What do you all think ?

thanks again