a debate on wrenching sticky nuts- push or pull? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Push or Pull?
Push on the wrench and risk busting knuckles. 2 7.41%
Pull on the wrench and risk a self served knuckle sandwich. 22 81.48%
Sit and pout, since there's no impact wrench around and no wd40/pb blaster around either. 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just about every time I have busted knuckles it's been while pushing. I vote for pulling.

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 06:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

A l-o-o-o-n-g time ago, I was in the army as a vehicle mechanic and instructor. By the manual, you always pull on the wrench, that is unless there is no other option. We did everything from Jeeps to tanks and tank retrievers. (I wonder how I could explain to my Capt. how I got the two 2" long scars on my left arm and the 1" diameter scar on my right arm and why, when I get a tan, my knuckles have all these raised white marks )

Have you ever been lying under a vehicle, pulling on a breaker bar while using your feet braced against the frame and have the socket either break or slip off? And do a 180 pound full swing at the jewels?

Dave
Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Guess I'm the oddball here, I'll push - reasons being I'm a fairly lightweight guy so I can get more force by pushing (vs. lifting myself up while pulling), and the last time I pulled on a bolt, the breaker bar slipped and I split my eyebrow wide open - took 15 or 20 minutes to get the blood flow to stop. And the time before that, I had lifted myself off the ground when the wrench decided to slip - slammed my elbow into the concrete floor (yea, you don't what to experience *that* kind of pain - trust me on this).

Course I will gauge the probability of blood loss when pushing or pulling and adjust my techniques accordingly . . .
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

depends on the position I'm in but i usually pull rather then push, I'd rather fall on my arse then my face when Murphy's law kicks in
Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR_65
Ah Hyundais . . . been there, done that! I have a '94 Hyundai Excel for a work car and I gotta admit I just love the little booger -> it's about as basic as a car gets, power steering, a/c, etc. weren't even options! Basically the Korean model T! If you go to their website they even let ya download the factory service manual in Adobe pdf format which is great 'cause you can print a page and take it out to the garage with ya and you don't have to worry about getting it greasy and stuff. It's been rock solid reliable, the only real problem has been a timing belt tensioner that let go at 50,000 - fortunately it didn't jump time as it's an interference engine.

Anyway, I couldn't get the nut on the dampener to break loose for love nor money! I finally went down and talked to the local Hyundai mechanic and he kinda chuckled and was nice enough to loan me a SnapOn air impact. He said that was an issue on those years of cars . . . it seems that the guy on the assembly line that put that nut on also put another one on, the top of the strut I believe, anyway the one nut needed a gazillion foot pounds more than the crank nut did but to do two different torque's he'd have to change tools and that was evidently too difficult so he'd just use the high torque tool on every nut of that size!!! Misnerablesonofa . . .
1994 Elantra......When I got it the transmission was bad and wouldnt start at last which I knew....plugs were bad....new plugs ...fired right up purred like a kitten Changed the oil due to cylender was from cranking with bad plugs...ran it for a little bit incase it had any trouble codes so I could get them to show up....well we found out theat we didnt have an adapter to fit the diagnostics port(Auto Tech at the votech) so I drove around in a circle for 15 minuites for absolutely no reason. Stareted it up and let it idle etc making sure it worked fine before buying a transmission.I go in one day and Fire it up....billows white smoke..(I didnt overheat it while idling or anyother time for that matter)just fired it up one day and it popped the headgasket.So off comes the head. timing belt rips while removing head have the head checked just in case ..comes back fine no warps or anything.so out comes the engine.new belt new gasket,time it according to mitchel software drop it in....nothing....remove ingine a couple more times(engine and trans in and out twice in about 5 hours of class time).....still nothing......take it home at the end of the year...try to sell it (very cheap)...no takers......take engine out put new tensioner on put it back in runs ok ..........go get transmission ....stop an hour down the road to make sure it hasn't moved.See that the bellhousing is cracked...spiderwebbed actually...get back to the junkyard about 5 minuites before they close. stop by a liibrary and find another transmission about 100 miles away,stay the night in meadville pa, get the other transmission the next day and bring it back. try to install new filter but it wont clear the pan .....I wore out the front and rear engine mounts from taking it in and out so much...honestly I did....I learned my lesson It may run forever now that I have got it fixed ....moral of the story dont work on imports ...lesson learned.....rant off
So is your mastercylinder on the pass side....ooh yeah forgot about the alternator belts....my fault........and the air big controller going bad for no reason...carpart.com was my friend on this one.
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGater
depends on the position I'm in but i usually pull rather then push, I'd rather fall on my arse then my face when Murphy's law kicks in
1/2 inch shank (3/4 head) bolt tightening with a wrench...snap ....I went rolling across the pavement...saw that ol truck thisevening
Shane
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 AM

Last journal entry: Going Slow.. and steady?
Last photo:

I try to pull whenever I can, In that undercar situation.. I'd most definitly pull, using my legs instead of my weak little arms. Haven't (luckily) gotten a breaker bar to the crotch.
Pushing seems to always lead to raw bloody knuckles..

This past winter I was working on the girlfriends car (seems to be all I do these days), anyway was pushin' on something with a breaker bar, and right on cue the socket slip and I punched the concrete floor..
Luckily I couldn't feel anything because it was 20 out, but my hand looked light a boxing glove after that.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
boatbob2

my vote...........

i vote for the hot wrench,if its that tight its probably going to break anyhow,so im just helping it along....
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my dad knocked himself out, pulling a tranny crossmember bolt on an old Fury had at the time. bolt broke loose, breaker bar met his forhead

Me, I push and pull. a tight bolt, might loosen if you tighten it first. worked many times for me
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Good topic,I voted for pull,easier to maintain balance,but depends on situations also....If I push it's very carefully trying to feel the torque or twist of the bolt,or the feeling its gonna slip off......
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I had a 9/16" socket on the end of a johnson bar and couldn't get a bolt to budge at all. (Yes I was thinking it might hurt when it did break.)

I didn't have a snipe handy ... so I though I was being clever ... I laid on the floor and pushed with my foot.

Suh-nap! and I had blood running into my eyes!
The socket had snapped, sending schrapnel flying ... which nailed me in the forehead. I guess I was lucky ... it could have been an eye.

Anyway ...
Peed me right off ... so I went and got the hot-wrench!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well I was working on a nice 63 Chev Impala installing a 12 bolt rear end. I was sitting on a short mech stool by the wheel well. I had all but one of the old suspension bolts out. That one would not budge. So I get the hot wrench and cut thru it. Well the rear end dropped but hung up on the brake lines that I forgot to remove. One of the wheel studs snagged my cheek and ripped it open and knocked me off the stool. With blood flying I quickly turned and grabbed the closest thing, a 5 pound ball pein. I was PO'd and now hurt. I let fly right at the side of that shinny white Impala and scored a solid home run right on rib that runs down the side of the fender.

15 stiches later I got my first lesson in body work. at no charge and no flat rate.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

you havn't earned it till you bleed on it!!

In this case if theres room i put a box wrench on it a little oil take a hammer & beat the living hell out of wrench with the hammer it works every time just make sure you hit the wrench and not your hand because that meat between the thumb & index just dosn't like it much (its never funny) & hurts like hell!!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Just about every time I have busted knuckles it's been while pushing. I vote for pulling.

Vince
Since the "8n oil change scar" I'll ditto those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Have you ever been lying under a vehicle, pulling on a breaker bar while using your feet braced against the frame and have the socket either break or slip off? And do a 180 pound full swing at the jewels?

Dave
I have no interest in doing something like that. Thanks for the idea though... so where's that pesky neighbor kid I could 'set up' a situation like that for?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

I try to use impact sockets with a long pipe on the end of a 1/2" breaker bar handle. The leverage gives more control.
If using an open end I put some valve lapping compound on the wrench or use Vise Grips.
I always prefer to pull. I'm a small (5' 8" 190 lb) 50 year old gorilla and can usually muscle anything off.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

What are mechanics gloves? Scarred, gnarled, twisted arthritic fingers are the badge of an old time mechanic. Diesel fuel stops bleeding pretty well. In a pinch, super glue will close and seal a wound too. Buncha wimps!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.