Debating stock vs performance cam bearings - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
So, Einstein, where is machine shop tom's shop located and what is his business's name?

LOL

tom
I would say your in Michigan as it says you are and don't you own a machine shop and your name it Tom. Are you that blind or stupid LOL.

And Einstein where does it say the state where I am located as I can't find that any where but you being so smart you must see something I don't see here. Einstein

As I have gotten two email about you and the way you express you business with your name and what you do for work and you also post the state your in.

There are other people here that look at you the same way I do and what you expressing with your sceen name.

Once again Einstein where have I posted my state I live as I am in the Northeast and that covers alot of territory.

Advertisement

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS N/E; 03-16-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
I would say your in Michigan as it says you are and don't you own a machine shop and your name it Tom. Are you that blind or stupid LOL.

And Einstein where does it say the state where I am located as I can't find that any where but you being so smart you must see something I don't see here. Einstein

As I have gotten two email about you and the way you express you business with your name and what you do for work and you also post the state your in.

There are other people here that look at you the same way I do and what you expressing with your sceen name.

Once again Einstein where have I posted my state I live as I am in the Northeast and that covers alot of territory.

Carl, I think you are BSing me about the emails. Nobody has EVER expressed a concern about that to me: member, moderator, or site manager.

Google machine shop tom. No mention of my business (and I don't own my shop, either. Wrong again.)

Google CNC Northeast. There you are.

You also post your name and number in other forums. (Nothing wrong with that, but you do).

I don't.

I'M not here to promote anything about my business.

The only time my name and business were ever published out of my area (and picture, dang it) was in Precision Engine shop magazine in 2000.

tom
Old 03-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Good for you, Carl we all know that nobody builds better engines than you. Just ask you.

tom
LOL..

Quote:
I never said nobody builds a better engine then me, I would REALLY LIKE TO SEE THIS POST as I am sure its not out there HMMMMMM your just another guy shooting the BS from that statement.

The first thing you see when you go Carl's webpage found in his drop down links under his screen name...

Quote:
Once again as he does every year, Carl will be making an appearance at the Expo. Come see his booth and all the high tech goodies or just come by and chat. Carl is rarely if ever at a loss for words and is happy to discuss any questions about Block Preperation as he is The Go To Guy when it comes to Race Block preperation. Remember... the name is Carl... come on by Feb 23,24.
Lotta self confidence there

Machine shop toms listed occupation is plainly visible in his viewable public profile as a machine shop manager....not owner.

You can't see CNC BLOCKS N/E's profile because it has a forward slash in it.

Could the use of that character in CNC BLOCKS N/E screen name name been done purposely so the only way to get any info about him is to go to his homepage? Far reaching ...I know, but some folks are pretty smart that way.

Hmmm.

I think a name modification is in order, just like it was done with Vinces "302/z28" screen name. The forward slash was dropped and his profile became visible.

Also, in my opinion, a few posts in this thread should be split off into off topic or maybe even the dump.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Amen brother! sounds like a new episode of "pinks" brewing
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
LOL..

.... in my opinion, a few posts in this thread should be split off into off topic or maybe even the dump.

Later, mikey

I'll second that. Enough of watching a piddling match go way off-topic. Kind of detracts from the real reason we are here...

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Then you are saying you sell all your parts to the general public at your cost?

You are a Warehouse Distributor and sell at those prices, I must see if you will sell to me at those prices.

I just checked JEGS website, Clevite SH290s $16.00.

Quote:
If you paid 12.95 for a cheap set of cam bearing there not the cheap ones or you got screwed!!! The cheap Durabonds are only 7.56 and we can buy the Clvite stock replacent cheaper then those.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
LOL..

The first thing you see when you go Carl's webpage found in his drop down links under his screen name...

Lotta self confidence there

Machine shop toms listed occupation is plainly visible in his viewable public profile as a machine shop manager....not owner.

You can't see CNC BLOCKS N/E's profile because it has a forward slash in it.

Could the use of that character in CNC BLOCKS N/E screen name name been done purposely so the only way to get any info about him is to go to his homepage? Far reaching ...I know, but some folks are pretty smart that way.

Hmmm.

I think a name modification is in order, just like it was done with Vinces "302/z28" screen name. The forward slash was dropped and his profile became visible.

Also, in my opinion, a few posts in this thread should be split off into off topic or maybe even the dump.

Later, mikey
I have also had a booth at the Pri show for 2 years for good exposure. If I have to change my screen name that fine.

Granted I have helped alot of people on all the forums I post on as far as machine shop practices and engine building ETC.

We deal with a couple hundred blocks a year and we also deal with probably over 500 emails and phone calls with problems with blocks, machining and engine building. We spend alot of time helping out other shops and engine builders and novice builders on there projects ETC.

So over the years we have dealt with more problems with engine building and we have a good idea what works and what maybe a problem if used.

I also try to post factual info here!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

RING-A-DING-DING!!

Or is it toot-a-toot-toot?

tom
Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcantrellsr
Then you are saying you sell all your parts to the general public at your cost?

You are a Warehouse Distributor and sell at those prices, I must see if you will sell to me at those prices.

I just checked JEGS website, Clevite SH290s $16.00.
Actually we buy 25 sets of cam bearings at a time and get 45% off jobber.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:59 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
RING-A-DING-DING!!

Or is it toot-a-toot-toot?

tom

Hell Tom just google Carl Hinkson as there is alot of good stuff about me if you checking up on me the only thing thats not there is my trucking business for some reason.

I like the RING-A-DING-DING!! it just sounds better LOL.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Actually we buy 25 sets of cam bearings at a time and get 45% off jobber.
I suppose if I bought certain brand of cam bearing in bulk I'd be temped to tell everyone that they were better than the other brand, too.

tom
Old 03-16-2008, 07:14 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
I suppose if I bought certain brand of cam bearing in bulk I'd be temped to tell everyone that they were better than the other brand, too.

tom
Do some research on cam bearings as I have as you will find the aluminum bearings are alot tougher then any babbit type bearings out there.

I have done my home work now do yours.

Do a search on speedtalk you may learn something
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Do some research on cam bearings as I have as you will find the aluminum bearings are alot tougher then any babbit type bearings out there.

I have done my home work now do yours.

Do a search on speedtalk you may learn something
I have. That's why I understand that there are different types of bearings for different applications and circumstances. And I prefer the Durabond bearings over the Clevite ones you sell because in MY EXPERIENCE they seem to hold up as well or better. YOUR experience may be different than mine. That doesn't mean that it is any more valid. I deal with a different type of engine parameter than you do and I would wager that most guys here do too. The crew at Speedtalk are, for the most part (including you), professional builders who build race engines for race cars. That is different than building engines for daily-driven, weekend warriors, like most of the denizens of this board.

tom
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
I have. That's why I understand that there are different types of bearings for different applications and circumstances. And I prefer the Durabond bearings over the Clevite ones you sell because in MY EXPERIENCE they seem to hold up as well or better. YOUR experience may be different than mine. That doesn't mean that it is any more valid. I deal with a different type of engine parameter than you do and I would wager that most guys here do too. The crew at Speedtalk are, for the most part (including you), professional builders who build race engines for race cars. That is different than building engines for daily-driven, weekend warriors, like most of the denizens of this board.

tom

I agree the Clevites are not good cam bearing to use 1349 as we have had a lot of calls over the years about spinning cam bearings on the dyno and on start ups.

And Durabond is a good bearing as wll even there HP bearing is good but its a babbit bearing and we switched to the ACL which is aluminim bearings which I think will takes 3000 more pounds per square inch over the best babbit bearing out there.

Now the SBC/s that we machine the cam tunnel to BBC we have to use the Durabond CHP-1 and with the bigger bearing and more surface area they seem to hold up fine in all applications. Plus the cam tunnel is straight compared to a stock cam tunnel which helps alot. Take the tine and check out a GM cam tunnel from end as they are gross and I am surprised they are not more problems with cam bearing then there are.

The Clevite 1349 was good till about 15 years ago or so till they changed their material and sizing and from there it been down hill ever since.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I agree about the cam tunnels. I have some cutters that I made from old cams that I use on those blocks that have cam bearins out-of-line enough to make the cam turn hard or impossible to install. Beats sanding the bearings to make the cam fit.

It's always fun to explain the "not perfect from the factory" thing to a customer that can't get his cam in (sometimes they won't wait for me to check the cam fit).

tom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.