Debating stock vs performance cam bearings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRoyaltyInMyChevy
Machine Shop Tom
aren't the HP cam bearings stronger, and last longer with a better quality product, or are the benefits not even worth it ?
We build a lot of circle engines with hydraulic cams that are 135 at the seat and 300 over the nose and we have seen engines come in the shop that have had stock cam bearings in them and they showed a lot wear and tear over the ACL 3349 cam bearings we use in our engines.

And there about 6 or 7 dollars more then stock cam bearings and much more dependable.

Stock cam bearing are for engines with stock cams and stock springs and most stock springs have only about 80 pounds at the seat.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E
We build a lot of circle engines with hydraulic cams that are 135 at the seat and 300 over the nose and we have seen engines come in the shop that have had stock cam bearings in them and they showed a lot wear and tear over the ACL 3349 cam bearings we use in our engines.

And there about 6 or 7 dollars more then stock cam bearings and much more dependable.

Stock cam bearing are for engines with stock cams and stock springs and most stock springs have only about 80 pounds at the seat.
In YOUR opinion, Carl. In MY experience, for what it's worth, is that street-driven, mild to fairly stout-built engines work fine with stock-type cam bearings. BTW, nobody said anything about circle track racing. Not everybody is building high-horsepower, high-dollar engines.

tom

ton
Old 03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine shop tom
In YOUR opinion, Carl. In MY experience, for what it's worth, is that street-driven, mild to fairly stout-built engines work fine with stock-type cam bearings. BTW, nobody said anything about circle track racing. Not everybody is building high-horsepower, high-dollar engines.

tom

ton
Tom these engines that I spoke about are two barrel engines 450 lift cams and camel hump heads about 370 horse not very high horse power there and not much money tied up in them either.

But stock cam bearing won't hold up for a season in these engine and there not much different in spring pressures compared to the street performance engines we build.

We have seen what happens when the right cam bearings are not used and we don't take any risks at our shop with the engines we build and if a customer steps up to better heads with better springs and a bigger cam there should not be any problems with the better cam bearings.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Tom these engines that I spoke about are two barrel engines 450 lift cams and camel hump heads about 370 horse not very high horse power there and not much money tied up in them either.

But stock cam bearing won't hold up for a season in these engine and there not much different in spring pressures compared to the street performance engines we build.

We have seen what happens when the right cam bearings are not used and we don't take any risks at our shop with the engines we build and if a customer steps up to better heads with better springs and a bigger cam there should not be any problems with the better cam bearings.
Good for you, Carl we all know that nobody builds better engines than you. Just ask you.

It's just too bad that we all don't build engines as good as you do. I guess the fact that I have been doing this for over 25 years and have had no cam bearing-related failures or problems doesn't mean a thing............

I know dang well when a better cam bearing is called for and it ain't a warmed over street engine. Which is probably below you, but it's what I make most of my money on.

tom
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Good for you, Carl we all know that nobody builds better engines than you. Just ask you.

It's just too bad that we all don't build engines as good as you do. I guess the fact that I have been doing this for over 25 years and have had no cam bearing-related failures or problems doesn't mean a thing............

I know dang well when a better cam bearing is called for and it ain't a warmed over street engine. Which is probably below you, but it's what I make most of my money on.

tom
Now if your just doing street engins with stock parts stock cam bearing should be fine

I never said nobody builds a better engine then me, I would REALLY LIKE TO SEE THIS POST as I am sure its not out there HMMMMMM your just another guy shooting the BS from that statement.

As far as buiding performance engines we have been doing this for over 30 years and we are quite equiped for the machining of performance engines compared to some one who just builds warmed over street engines ( What ever those are LOL).

Most of these guys here are building performance engines and not warmed over street engines and most guys including you don't even know there are performance cam bearings for the SBC

If a guy is building a performance he should be using better parts then what is used in a stock warmed over engine.

After 30 years of building performance engines we have seen what happens when the right cam bearings are not used and for an extra 7 dollars why take the risk of ending up with chewed up cam bearings.

Nobody builds a better engine then me, Very interesting statement
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Now if your just doing street engins with stock parts stock cam bearing should be fine

I never said nobody builds a better engine then me, I would REALLY LIKE TO SEE THIS POST as I am sure its not out there HMMMMMM your just another guy shooting the BS from that statement.

Nobody builds a better engine then me, Very interesting statement

RIGHT, Carl, whatever you say.

All one has to do is read between the lines in just about every post you make. Besides being borderline advertising for your business (if we edited out the subtle advertising in your posts, you wouldn't have much other to say), you always seem to make a point about hou YOU do it at YOUR business and how YOUR way is so much better that the other guy. No, you don't come out and say it, but is sure is implied. And I'm not the only guy here who thinks so. I'm sure you don't know what a warmed over street engine is. You seem to think everything needs the full-on, high-dollar machine work that you do on all the high-performance engines your shop does for all your high-performance customers (BTW, why do the guys I know out east not have a clue as to who you are?).

Keep on with your advertising, er, orations, Carl, we are all SO interested.

Funny thing, if you would cut back on the subtle advertising and self-promotion, most of your posts would have some merit........

tom
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Most of these guys here are building performance engines and not warmed over street engines and most guys including you don't even know there are performance cam bearings for the SBC
That is absolute BS, Carl. I do know there are performance cam bearing for the SBC (other engines, too, in case you didn't know that). But I also know when they are called for and when they aren't. Like a lot of other stuff.......

tom
Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
RIGHT, Carl, whatever you say.

All one has to do is read between the lines in just about every post you make. Besides being borderline advertising for your business (if we edited out the subtle advertising in your posts, you wouldn't have much other to say), you always seem to make a point about hou YOU do it at YOUR business and how YOUR way is so much better that the other guy. No, you don't come out and say it, but is sure is implied. And I'm not the only guy here who thinks so. I'm sure you don't know what a warmed over street engine is. You seem to think everything needs the full-on, high-dollar machine work that you do on all the high-performance engines your shop does for all your high-performance customers (BTW, why do the guys I know out east not have a clue as to who you are?).

Keep on with your advertising, er, orations, Carl, we are all SO interested.

Funny thing, if you would cut back on the subtle advertising and self-promotion, most of your posts would have some merit........

tom
Tom

I don't avertise here but I do give my knowledge on what works the best and what we have seen over the years Maybe my engines make so much power we have to use the good cam bearings. LOL

I got an email about your border line advertising is there a differance between you and I or are you above me!!!

What we do for work is not high dollar as you may think but we do more to an engine then someone that justs builds a warmed over street engine I am sure and I work is much more accurate then some who just build a warmed over street engine.

I bet there are more guys on the east coast or more then then that the whole contry and Canada that know who I am over you as I am sure of that, Go over to the http://speedtalk.com/forum/index.php...89d986a2c13b80 and ask these guys who I am as most them I have met through bus. transactions and have met some of them at the Pri-shows over the years. How many guys over there have you work with?????????????????????????????
Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'll clear these matters up right now.

Nobody, but nobody builds better engines than me.

For it is written,

Yea, even so, it was given to Nairb, the knowledge from birth, and yea let this be a sign that whosever disagree shall die the death of many small dogs as they are eaten by bigger dogs.

Thy cam and thy shaft, they comfort thee and I shall dwell upon the holy dyno forever and ever, amen.

As it is written,

So shall it be done.

I hope that clears things up as to who the authority is around here.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Tom

I got an email about your border line advertising is there a differance between you and I or are you above me!!!

Interesting. In no place on this website have I ever posted the name of my shop or it's phone number or anything else about it.

And my screen name does not contain my business name.

Like yours.

As far as who knows about my shop, we are well known in our region. You haven't heard about me because I haven't posted the name of my shop on this site. In spite of being a small shop that does not advertise out of our immediate area, we do a lot of business. I do work on all types of engines from everyday drivers to 8-second, 1/4 mile drag cars to class-winning circle-track cars.And we do it without name-dropping or references from other web sites.

Carl, I do not doubt or argue that you have great knowledge about building race or high-performance engines. I have actually learned a lot from reading your posts here and on Speedtalk. BUT that doesn't mean that I have to agree with you on what type or manufacturer of a given part is best. You make it seem that your opinion on a given issue or part is the only valid one. But that is only an opinion based on your experience. A lot of guys build engines that don't need the extent of work that the type of engines you build require. Sure, having the best of parts machined with the most exacting and capable machines would be nice, but it isn't practical or needed in many or even most of the builds that the guys talk about here at HR.com. I think that if you showed a little more respect for those that are just as successful in engine building as you are but have different points of view or experiences we wouldn't be having this exchange. For the dollars my customers spend on their engines, they are just as happy as your customers are with you. And if my customers had problems with my work, I certainly would not have been in business as long as I have at the same shop and owner with the repeat customers and increasing business that I have.

All without advertising on the web, in any shape or form, here or anywhere else.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 03-15-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: nitpicky little grammar things
Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Interesting. In no place on this website have I ever posted the name of my shop or it's phone number or anything else about it.

Like yours.

As far as who knows about my shop, we are well known in our region. You haven't heard about me because I haven't posted the name of my shop on this site. In spite of being a small shop that does not advertise out of our immediate area, we do a lot of business. I do work on all types of engines form everyday drivers to 8-second 1/4 drag cars to class-winning circle-track cars.And we do it without name-dropping or references from other web sites.

Carl, I do not doubt or argue that you have great knowledge about building race or high-performance engines. I have actually learned a lot from reading your posts here and on Speedtalk. BUT that doesn't mean that I have to agree with you on what type or manufacturer of a given part is best. You make it seem that your opinion on a given issue or part is the only valid one. But that is only an opinion based on your experience. A lot of guys build engines that don't need the extent of work that the type of engines you build require. Sure, having the best of parts machined with the most exacting and capable machines would be nice, but it isn't practical or needed in many or even most of the builds that the guys talk about here at HR.com. I think that if you showed a little more respect for those that are just as successful in engine building as you do but have different points of view or experiences we wouldn't be having this exchange. For the dollars my customers spend on their engines, they are just as happy as your customers are with you. And if my customers had problems with my work, I certainly would not have been in business with the repeat customers and increasing business that I have.

All without advertising on the web, in any shape or form, here or anywhere else.

tom
VERY WELL SAID TOM

sam-missle
Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:

Like yours.

As far as who knows about my shop, we are well known in our region. You haven't heard about me because I haven't posted the name of my shop on this site. In spite of being a small shop that does not advertise out of our immediate area, we do a lot of business. I do work on all types of engines from everyday drivers to 8-second, 1/4 mile drag cars to class-winning circle-track cars.And we do it without name-dropping or references from other web sites.

Carl, I do not doubt or argue that you have great knowledge about building race or high-performance engines. I have actually learned a lot from reading your posts here and on Speedtalk. BUT that doesn't mean that I have to agree with you on what type or manufacturer of a given part is best. You make it seem that your opinion on a given issue or part is the only valid one. But that is only an opinion based on your experience. A lot of guys build engines that don't need the extent of work that the type of engines you build require. Sure, having the best of parts machined with the most exacting and capable machines would be nice, but it isn't practical or needed in many or even most of the builds that the guys talk about here at HR.com. I think that if you showed a little more respect for those that are just as successful in engine building as you do but have different points of view or experiences we wouldn't be having this exchange. For the dollars my customers spend on their engines, they are just as happy as your customers are with you. And if my customers had problems with my work, I certainly would not have been in business as long as I have at the same shop and owner with the repeat customers and increasing business that I have.

tom
I have never posted my number or website on this site and I am here to help people out as we have enough work to do, Over the years we have seen to many engines built with substandard parts and when we get them apart the customers not happy with what was supplied for parts by there shop that did the work. I don't tell people that have to come to my shop or else as thats not what this site is about.

The name Machine ShopTom that has nothing to do with your bus.?????

We would not take the chance of using cheaper parts and take a chance on a bearing wear issue and for the extra 7 dollars I am sure most guys would spring for the better bearings on a performance application.

Now on street engine that have 420 lift cams and stock springs stock bearing would work fine, Hell even the GM engines come with aluminum cam bearings which are a lot tougher then any babbit bearing.

The engines you build you can probably get away with stock bearings but with what we build and what we have seen what works and what doesn't we always go with the better stuff. (For 7 extra dollars)

We work with a lot of engine builders and engine shops all over the country and Canada and have helped them with their engine developement and 99% of the time what we help them with really seems to work over what they have been doing.

A lot of my friends and partners over the years work in the Cup Shops where I have a lot of ties to and talk to them about the latest technology out there and from time to time I get to visit those shops down south.

And I like a good debate once and a while
Old 03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Carl, your screen name was changed once already because it was a link to your business. As it is now, it still is your business name.

Machine shop tom describes my job.

Nobody here even has a clue as to what the name of my shop is.

BIG difference.

BTW, when I build a race engine, I use race cam bearings. When I build a heavy-duty or stout street engine, I use performance cam bearings. When I build a mile street engine, I use stock-replacement cam bearings. I may not use the brand you do, but that doesn't mean I am short-changing my customers.

"...Over the years we have seen to many engines built with substandard parts and when we get them apart the customers not happy with what was supplied for parts by there shop that did the work. ......."

I could have not described my business any better. We probably have far more in common than not.

tom

Last edited by machine shop tom; 03-15-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Carl, your screen name was changed once already because it was a link to your business. As it is now, it still is your business name.

Machine shop tom describes my job.

Nobody here even has a clue as to what the name of my shop is.

BIG difference.

BTW, when I build a race engine, I use race cam bearings. When I build a heavy-duty or stout street engine, I use performance cam bearings. When I build a mile street engine, I use stock-replacement cam bearings. I may not use the brand you do, but that doesn't mean I am short-changing my customers.

"...Over the years we have seen to many engines built with substandard parts and when we get them apart the customers not happy with what was supplied for parts by there shop that did the work. ......."

I could have not described my business any better. We probably have far more in common than not.

tom
I could also say my name describes my job as I CNC blocks in the Northeast and your name is Tom and you own a machine shop correct.

Maybe I should change my name to Machine shop Carl LOL
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

So, Einstein, where is machine shop tom's shop located and what is his business's name?

LOL

tom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.