debris coming out while spraying clear coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

debris coming out while spraying clear coat

So i finished spraying my car using a 1.3 tip and Universal Clear mixed with medium hardener. The hood, fenders, bumpers, all came out pretty nice but the doors did not. I decide i was going to sand down the doors using 500 wet then 1000 wet. After this i resprayed clear but noticed debris or specs of something coming out fo the gun, there was even this string of like clear or whatever that came out. I can't believe it, first the doors were not glossy (which i think was caused from spraying to far away) so i resprayed and now more crap then ever coming out of the gun. Could this be from improper gun cleaning?
I have a filter at the tank and another one at the gun so
i dont see how this could come from the tank.. although i think i need a bigger tank because mine is only a 20 gallon and it kicks on every minute of continuous use. I just want to be able to spray a nice final glossy coat without any junk in it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

You need to strain your paint before you pour it into the gun. Also use tack cloth to pick up any dirt from surface, right before you spray it
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM

i did use a strainer, however i didnt use the little filters you can put in the neck of the gun
Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

jfaur,
During the short time you've been a member of this forum you've stated that you watched a lot of U-Tube videos and learned how to paint. In another post you said this was your third car to paint. You seem to be having one problem after another and I'm not sure you're not trolling. If you are for real, then you are in way over your head and the best advice anyone would give you is find someone in your area who knows how to paint and pay him to paint your car. You should get as much advice and knowledge from him as you can during that time and on your next project, consult him from the very beginning and every step of the way. It would seem you've made a mess out of this project and wasted money on materials....not to mention the labor to fix the issues. The further you go with this project the deeper you get with mistakes. STOP now and call a pro.

Jim
Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

debris

1. How old is the CC activator? Activator left open turns bad pretty quick.
2. Your tank is too small, there is a good chance water is coming through your line.
3. Do you have a good moisture trap in the line?

I'm just a hobbyist painter but I've learned from my mistakes and used info on this Forum from the pros.

regards

Ron
Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Well I'm deffenetly not trolling Jim, I just happen to have a lot of questions because yes, i make mistakes. I have learned a lot from asking questions on here so I appreciate all the help everyone has given me and if i appear to be a troller to anyone than i apologize. I cant trust other painters around here because the last two times i called up someone from craigslist they did a crappy job. I'm going to go to school and take some classes soon I hope.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaur
Well I'm deffenetly not trolling Jim, I just happen to have a lot of questions because yes, i make mistakes. I have learned a lot from asking questions on here so I appreciate all the help everyone has given me and if i appear to be a troller to anyone than i apologize. I cant trust other painters around here because the last two times i called up someone from craigslist they did a crappy job. I'm going to go to school and take some classes soon I hope.

I don't know where you live but I find it hard to believe there are no pro painters in your town. Do you not go to car shows and ask who painted their cars? Is there not a auto body shop in your town? I would search out a auto painter who makes his living at spraying auto paint and make friends with him, or pay him, buy him some beers, whatever. Get some professional advice which would go millions of miles beyond what you can get from any forum. There are many pro's on this forum and some have responded to some of your other problems, but you must realize an internet forum has many limitations on making you a skilled painter. You might ask yourself why Shine, deadbodyman and others have not responded to your continuning problems. While I can't speak for them, I suspect it may be out of frustration as I am experiencing with your digging yourself deeper. Did your U-Tube videos not tell you to always strain your paint? Did they tell you to always use a new mixing cup? Did they not tell you to throughly clean your gun each time you use it? Probably not!

As I have stated before, you need to put away your Devillbis paint gun, turn off your compressor. And find a pro who can lave a long conversation with you about what you have done with this project, have eyes on your work, and give you advice on how to procede.

I can tell you this, if I lived next door to you, knowing what I know based on your post here, I would not touch your project. You have too many things going wrong starting with your lacquer primer, which will fail in short order. I would tell you to strip back to bare metal and I would provide council on each step of the way to get you back to where the car is basecoat ready. Then and only then would I be willing to base and clear your project. You have solvent pops on the hood, sanded thru to the basecoat on your roof, strings of who know what on your doors. Think about it .... you have a mess on your hands. You may think my comments are harsh but if we were standing face to face, I would tell you the same thing. You have made a mess of this project and appear to not be paying attention here. Sometime the truth is painful but you need to STOP any work on this project and get pro advice who can have "eyes on" and discuss with you what you have done before going any further.

Jim
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds like iso clumping which is caused by water vapor in the lines..Do you have a cooling coil in your line? and the water trap is plumbed in after the cooling coil not at the compressor..

Sam
Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaur
I cant trust other painters around here because the last two times i called up someone from craigslist they did a crappy job. I'm going to go to school and take some classes soon I hope.
This was your problem. All you have to do is look in the phone book or online for the body shops in your area. Online listings often include customer reviews as well.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.