Hot Rod Forum banner

December 2012 Hot Rod Art Contest: Christmas Hot Rods

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  57Corvette 
#1 ·
Our November 2012 art contest winner 57Corvette has selected "Christmas Hot Rods" as the topic for this month's art contest.

This month, the winner gets a $50 gift certificate to Speedway Motors.

Voting will take place in the last week of December, so please have all entries posted by the 25th.

Thanks to all participants and voters!

#3 ·
Memories of 2012 Goober Pyle

My thoughts are not of Christmas trees , Santa in a hot rod sleigh or warm and cuddly Grinch's. My thoughts go to people who caught our imagination. One such person was George Lindsey who played Goober Pyle on the Television show The Andy Griffin show and which latter became Mayberry RFD. Both Goober and Gomer worked for Walley"s Service Station . The cousin "s only appeared in one episode together. We lost George this year. You know Television shows just don"t seem as lay back and fun as some of the early sitcoms.

Attachments

#10 ·
I've got something a bit different to offer for this Christmas comp. It's something I've been working on the last few weeks.

My friend Jon asked me to paint a hot rod mural on his 13 yr old son DJs bedroom wall.

To begin with, Jon couldn't decide what to have, so I showed him some of my artwork & Jon chose a '32 HiBoy Roadster with a traditional Hot Rod paint job of black with flames & an exposed, fully-chromed & supercharged engine, parked in front of another iconic symbol of the American car culture, a drive in diner, complete with neon signs incorporating the picture rail.

Reaching a decision wasn't easy, bearing in mind that whatever I put on that wall was there to stay & stand the test of human nature as far as personal taste was concerned. Jon then decided against the diner idea & opted for a workshop/garage setting.

Working on something this big is a totally different ball game to desktop stuff. I discussed adding detail to Jon & had to explain that being this big, it would be lost since in order to get the full effect, it had to be viewed from atleast 10 feet away.

Here is a pictorial history of the work from beginning to end. The car itself is about 8 feet across.

In order to give you some idea of size, I stood a bottle of poster paint on top of my 3-step aluminium ladder, which I'd leaned against the wall.

After adding in some final corrections & detail....

And the finished article...

I have to say it's been a real blast & I'm over the moon with the result. Hope you like it as much as I do.

#15 ·
Bob, Matt, nice work again this month! Job Rated, good job on that hot rod mural! That had to take some time and patience to do! We'll have to nickname you MichaelAngelo! LOL Regretfully, I won't have anything new to post this month, but I'm sure you guys can carry on, and good luck to all of you!
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.