Is this a decent deal and what else is needed! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this a decent deal and what else is needed!

Want to know your opinion on this brake setup for my 50 Ford, what else will be required, and is price a good price. If it is a good price which option is best with or without rotors as I can have rotors turned free. 50 is going to be a cruiser, 302 engine. Found this and with shipping would be probably $250 - $275 with shipping and I can have rotors turned at work for free or $200 shipped without rotors and I buy new rotors locally.

Here is the ad! I've got a 1949-1951 Ford Car Disc Brake Changeover kit. I believe the calipers are Monte Carlo and the rotors are Aerostar. These were taken off a running car but have sat for a bit. Everything still turns but the rotors have surface rust and the pads could stand to be changed. Nice little set up for a better stopping!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Honestly the rotors with bearings are only in the 15 dollar range to start with. Do not waste time or money turning rotors they are not like a drum. What I notice right off, that cut brake line. What does that mean, I would be suspect that moisture has gotten to the calipers and would bet they are frozen .. another word for trashed;need replacement.

Check the prices of the rotors and the calipers, the calipers look like what in known as GM metric late model 70- 80s. I would bet brand new stuff less then 200. Tell him to keep the brakes and just sell you the bracket hardware, you would be money ahead..

The only part I can see that would be worth anything is the bracket that mounts the caliper to the spindle. A bracket for a 30s ford front end can be had for 75 bucks, I tell you this for a reference, I know you are working on a 50s .

Folks over sell disk brake parts, today they are common and every autozomby and the likes has the parts; reasonable; the key word common...

The part that is the hardest to find to modify an early model car to a disk brake set up is the bracket that holds the caliper to the spindle.

Last edited by pepi; 10-27-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

brake buy

I agree with pepi, brackets good the rest to common to buy used.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info....
Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

I put disc brakes on my 53 the suspension is the same 49 to 53 i agree with the other guys get the brackets the rest is pretty cheap i used 86 monte carlo calipers and they are the metric type and i used monte carlo bearings and rotors i made my own brackets for the caliper but if i had to do it over would buy the kit but I am cheap so i made them myself. the only other issue i had was from what i understand the kit comes with a ring that drives on the spindle to set the rotor out a little farther so i had to use spacers so the cotter pin would work on the castle nut. one car season down and I had no problems with it. good luck with the 50.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.