Deciding on a Carburetor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Speed Demon 750 vac secondaries

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

I have had a speed demon and also a migty demon carb before and they are not really any different then a holley except the mighty demon came with screw in air bleeds and had the ability to change the idle feed restrictions and power valve restriction in the metering blocks but they are not really a different design then a holley as they are a little different in shape with the ones that have the choke tower and demon's weird choke shape. They still tune just like a holley style carb as that is basically what they are. The road demon 625 is basically a same design as the holley 600 vacuum secondary just looks different and the demons are usually made with a richer fuel curve at least when barry grant owned them. Since holley got all the stuff to own them I have no idea how they are done now. Either one will do about the same for your application. My brother had a stock 305 sbc and with a holley 600 vs carb it ran just as good with the old qjet that was on it and did not get quite as good mpg it was still very close. One quick edit the demon carbs do offer somewhat of a better airflow through the venture as that is one plus over the basic holley design but is really nothing on a street motor.

Last edited by eric32; 06-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
andrewakessler (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM

I reiterate 650 double pumper,,,
WHY?
most simple carb,can be bought with removable air bleeds
all the parts are available at all parts stores that sells carb parts,,,its the small block chevy of carbs
I agree that fuel injection is superior
I believe that the "webber" carb is probably better than the holley (no way cheaper)
The Q-jet is great but very complicated to tune if you are not familiar with the systems(or maybe you get a free BB carb thats stagger jetted and have tuning night mares and dont know why.)?
double pumper is not for fuel efficiency(think of it as 2 progressive carbs that just happen to be bolted together.
The choke system is poor on the double pumper carbs
The demon carbs use "A.N." fittings that are a little inconvenient as they are special to Demons.
you can buy a 650 double pumper spread bore,though I dont see any reason for it.
Fuel economy is usually determined by the right foot.
the 650 will support engine power to 400 plus HP.
Is a 650 the best?
only you can determine that?I use bigger carbs generally and dont tune double pumpers for daily drivers,,"usually"

blah blah blah,,,lol.
more after market pieces for holleys
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I reiterate 650 double pumper,,,
WHY?
most simple carb,can be bought with removable air bleeds
all the parts are available at all parts stores that sells carb parts,,,its the small block chevy of carbs
I agree that fuel injection is superior
I believe that the "webber" carb is probably better than the holley (no way cheaper)
The Q-jet is great but very complicated to tune if you are not familiar with the systems(or maybe you get a free BB carb thats stagger jetted and have tuning night mares and dont know why.)?
double pumper is not for fuel efficiency(think of it as 2 progressive carbs that just happen to be bolted together.
The choke system is poor on the double pumper carbs
The demon carbs use "A.N." fittings that are a little inconvenient as they are special to Demons.
you can buy a 650 double pumper spread bore,though I dont see any reason for it.
Fuel economy is usually determined by the right foot.
the 650 will support engine power to 400 plus HP.
Is a 650 the best?
only you can determine that?I use bigger carbs generally and dont tune double pumpers for daily drivers,,"usually"

blah blah blah,,,lol.
more after market pieces for holleys

I would argue the VS holley 600 is the "small block chevy of carbs" as they are the most common of all the ones mentioned. Parts availability for holleys is indeed superior, no one can argue that- but that may or may not be the driving factor. parts availability for keihin carbs sucks compared to holleys, but they work great, go figure.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.