Hot Rod Forum banner

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

817 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Well, I'm at it again. I brought home a stock 1931 Ford Deluxe Roadster over the weekend. I like it. Problem is, it is so stock that I'm not sure I should go ahead with my original thoughts to install a early flathead, dropped axle, hydraulic brakes, '32 grille and shell and '35 Ford wires.

It ran good and I drove it onto the trailer for the ride home. Seems to have shaken some debris loose and fouled the carb during the ride home because I can get it to start but it acts like it has run out of gas in less than a minute. Radiator has a leak in the top tank. All the mechanical brakes and running gear have been redone and work good. Needs the seat and seat back.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great find, Frisco. I like your ideas on what to do with it. No such thing as "too nice to make improvements". My coupe was original except for Hydraulic brakes and a 48 flat head, wiring and interior that was the same pattern as the original when it transformed into what it is today. The paint and body work was just as good as today except it was black Acrylic Enamel. No regrets...would never consider going back. I'll try to get over a take a peek when it cools down a bit.

Trees

#5 ·
....and I had to resort to a Brookville to get a decent '31 'A' roadster. Yours is real steel, not the flimsy soft stuff the repros are stamped out of these days :thumbup: :thumbup: .

I would have trouble doing much more then a resto rod out of such a nice car. 59A-B, hydraulics, '37 tubular axle. On that, unless you have a real nice original grille, the '31 with the colored insert is real nice as the repro shells are lots of work to make nice.

But that's only my opinion after owning a real and a repro 'A'

Dave W

#6 ·
Personally I would make a period piece (1930s-40s) 4 banger model A motor powered hot rod.

There is no way I would go any further than that. There are way too many cars out there that will never be the same.

Brian

#7 ·
Here is a short update. I registered the roadster this past Monday. The state inspector checked it out (Serial numbers) and took his pictures Wednesday. This is a fairly new requirement for vehicles coming from out of state. I've had to have this done for the last three vehicles purchased. Previously only had to provide a 'rubbing' of the serial number. North Carolina title should arrive in two to three weeks. Got a quote from Grundy for collector car insurance and sending them a check today. When I get the policy number I can get the tags.

Found a couple of leaves blocking the fuel outlet in the gas tank. Struggled to get them out, but the engine starts and runs fine now. Soldered up a pinhole in the radiator so no more leaks for now.

I think for now I'll leave it stock and begin collecting the pieces and parts to put a flathead V-8, early floorshift Ford trans and hydraulics. Finding all the right parts can be both frustrating and fun. Waiting on delivery of the interior wood kit and seat springs and a few other miscellaneous parts from Macs Antique Auto.

I'll post some photos soon.

#8 ·
That's a good call on your build, I like the older style rods. Flatties are cool, I don't have a clue as how to work on them though. Good luck, nice looking project.

Dewey, are you looking for another project?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.