Hot Rod Forum banner

Decisions Decisions which engine is best please help?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
:confused: I have a chance to get three different 455 GM motors! First motor is from a 71 pontiac bonneville already machined and on egine stand ready to be put back together! the second one is from a 70 olds cutlass needs to be rebuilt! the third one is from a running 71 toronado low miles! and I mite have a fourth one also from a 66 toronado mite be seized tho but needs total rebuilt! I wanna build a good high performance motor for street\strip to be put in a 72 442 olds! Does anyone now which motor would be the best for the build? And why? Thank you ahead of time for the help! :confused: :thumbup:

#8 ·
Likely the best Olds combo will be the '71 455 block with the '66 Olds Toronado heads. The '66 heads are likely to be the good "C" casting that performance Olds guys look for(best port and chamber size).

The '66 Engine will be a 425 cubic inch, 455 didn't exist yet. The bigger the engine, the more power you can make, which is the reason i suggested the '71 455 block with the good '66 heads.

Some info here www.realoldspower.com and www.oldsmobility.com.

#9 ·
ericnova72 said:
Likely the best Olds combo will be the '71 455 block with the '66 Olds Toronado heads. The '66 heads are likely to be the good "C" casting that performance Olds guys look for(best port and chamber size).

The '66 Engine will be a 425 cubic inch, 455 didn't exist yet. The bigger the engine, the more power you can make, which is the reason i suggested the '71 455 block with the good '66 heads.

Some info here www.realoldspower.com and www.oldsmobility.com.
Just a little side note FWIW . The 425 that was in the '67 Toronado that I no longer have was rated 385 hp. The 455 came out in '68 . Allan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.