Hot Rod Forum banner

Decisions..Decisions...Help with 350 build

745 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  454C10 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, here is my dilemma.
I have access to a 4 bolt main 350...older model, approx 78. It has the 882 heads on it.

I also have access to a 96 Vortec engine...but the heads are no good.

My ideal setup if it would work would be to move the roller cam setup from the vortec engine into the 4 bolt main engine. Im just not sure if that would work.

As it stands, if I were to build the 882 heads, I would basically have to get them reworked, and install some larger springs (which I already have). If I cant move the roller cam stuff over, I would then have to buy a cam and new lifters.

If I were to build the vortec engine, I wouldnt have to buy a cam or lifters. I would probably look at ordering some heads...either some updated vortec heads that would work with the higher lift cam, or some Pro Comp aluminum heads. Either way Im looking at 500 to 600+ dollars this way, but I do save on not having the heads reworked and not having to buy a cam or lifters. But, the rebuild kit is a bit more expensive.

Im really scratching my head on this one. I would like to save as much money as possible, and I dont really need more then 300HP. Hopefully you guys will tell me the roller stuff will drop right into the 4 bolt main and then I just have to decide if I want to save money on the heads or not.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

See less See more
#2 ·
This isn't what you want to here but, the roller parts wont drop in the 78 block without many Mods. The Vortec block will be a better engine to build, the roller lifters can be reused also, so don't buy a complete master rebuild kit untill you inspect everything. CompetitionProducts sells RHS Vortec heads at a very good price, their setup for more lift, thicker decks and better cooling.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/products.asp?dept=693

#4 ·
I follow SS. After I started to use the 1 piece rear main seal roller cammed small blocks I`ll never go back to the old flat tappet cammed, leak prone 2 piece seal blocks. It`s not hard to find a roundy rounder wanting the older block and they`ll usually offer a nice price for it if it`s a 4 bolt main heavy duty block. The 1996 and up vortec blocks not only have the roller cam and 1 piece seal but a factory windage tray as well. The only disadvantage to these blocks and some don`t look at it like a disadvantage is the mechanical fuel pump boss on some of them aren`t drilled. If you`ll be running a electric fuel pump this isn`t a problem but if you like mechanical pumps like I do you have to find a block that has a finished fuel pump boss. The RHS Vortec heads are great. I did a built some years ago for my best friends vortec 350 and we used the RHS castings. They are heavy duty casted, and the temp runs nice and cool. They outflow the factory Vortec head and when bolted on a performance roller cammed small block they make very impressive power figures. The only thing to keep in mind on the Vortec block is you have to use the Cloyes single roller Vortec timing chain. If you use a double roller timing set for the older OEM roller cam blocks it makes contact with the block.

#5 ·
If you only need 300hp or even 400hp then don't worry about 4 bolt mains.

Use the roller block.

modified vortec heads are cheap. Then use the stock hardware (rockers, push rods, valve covers).

For 300hp. build it with 9 to 9.5:1 cr and use a cam with 210 to 218 degrees duration at 0.050" with 5 to 10 more on the exhaust compared to the intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.