deep 200 4r pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

deep 200 4r pan

I'm always looking to upgrade my 200 4r and last week I found the deep 200 4r pan on ebay for $94.00 and that was shipped. Going to pick up the 700 r4 filter tomorrow and by this week end I will have things ready to block up that nova and do more to it. Next question is, should I forget the rad cooler and just double up on the round single pass coolers or is that to much. these coolers are going to be under the nova behind the frame rail on the passenger side.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

I am in the process of trying to find more information on the extruded aluminum finned transmission coolers. Many have used them with apparent success, but no one seems to know much about how much they cool. I will post the information I find.

You mentioned a deeper pan for a 200-R4, but then mentioned a filter for a 700-R4 - which do you have? Do you have any type of cooler installed now?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM

I got the deep 200 4r pan, but i'm using the 700 r4 filter. I use the 700 r4 filter because it will sits down farther in the pan and it's a bottom feeder while the 200 4r filter is a top feeder. I have built a 200 4r with a lot of extra clutches and bigger valves, heavy duty relieved pump and other goddies. The 200 4r were noted for high fluid temp that caused failures. So i'm using the deeper pan and two single pass coolers in line to keep it cool. I have to, because I've got the high stall torque convertor and will be doing the 4.10 gears and take my 3.73 gears out. When I do this, i'm going to replace the separator plate again with a stock one and blocking the line bias valve. Sound crazy, but this thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. The pan holds over two extra quarts of fluid and each one of the coolers hold a quart. The pan also has fins to help with the heat.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I had a deep B/M aluminum pan on my 700R4, scraped on speed bumps and ramps....
Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM

I forgot to mention that I ran into a little problem with my pan I got off ebay, it didn't have the drain plug. The pan is brand new but no plug. Went to Napa and the plug is a weird size metric. Had to order it and that will take a few days or more because none of the Napa locations have it. If its not available, may have to drill it for a bigger size. Wanted to do this project Saturday, but may of been pushed back a few days. No real problem, i'm retired and days don't mean much to me.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you have a handle on it. What I thought was a source for actual specs for those coolers fizzled out. They didn't have any real info.

I have a 700-R4. If I ran a deeper pan I'd have the same problem as Malc - my regular depth pan is possibly the lowest thing under my sedan. I have scraped it going on and off the trailer when the car went for paint (no more trailering - it's a driver).

If I ever do find actual specifications, I'll post them.

Have fun with your ride!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwl View Post
I'm always looking to upgrade my 200 4r and last week I found the deep 200 4r pan on ebay for $94.00 and that was shipped. Going to pick up the 700 r4 filter tomorrow and by this week end I will have things ready to block up that nova and do more to it. Next question is, should I forget the rad cooler and just double up on the round single pass coolers or is that to much. these coolers are going to be under the nova behind the frame rail on the passenger side.
fom what I understand of this,(I haven't bought the pan kit yet)
you need more than the 7004r filter and pan..
not all 7004r filters are the same early ones(trans) are top feeders, just like the 2004r.

you'll need a piece to get the 700r4 filter down to the pan floor..
but I've only look at the ck performance kits..
brb to link a link
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

www.CKPerformance.com
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Mine isn't that deep like the one shown. With one that deep, I can understand the clearance problem you could have is your vehicle sets low to begin with. Yes you have to look at the filter your buying to compare to the 200 4r old filter. There is about 10 different types of 700 r4 filters and you have to compare to get the right one. Be aware that if you use the 700 r4 bottom feed filter, that it doesn't set on the floor of the pan, or you may have problems with the filter getting fluid. The type of pan I got fits my vehicle. I don't drag race my toy. I kick it hard at times, but no racing. I think my pan is a known brand that this company had and they got rid of their stock of pans. The company name has been machines off. I thought that my luck couldn't be that good, so I put it one my second tranny in the shop and it fits perfectly. I went back on line and sure enough, it wasn't there no more, so they must of sold the other four they had.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM
81 Vette

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
It apears that the pipe your using is pvc. I would suggest a alternative pipe for the filter pickup. PVC will not take the heat and fail in short order. I am a 30 year journman plumber and the use of pvc piping for hot water is forbiden. Domestic hot water in your house is 120deg to 140deg and pvc will crack and brake. Just a heads up
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebot 81 View Post
It apears that the pipe your using is pvc. I would suggest a alternative pipe for the filter pickup. PVC will not take the heat and fail in short order. I am a 30 year journman plumber and the use of pvc piping for hot water is forbiden. Domestic hot water in your house is 120deg to 140deg and pvc will crack and brake. Just a heads up
funny thats what the oems have used for 30+ years.. is plastic pipe, it maybe abs tho..
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM

I've seen that use of pvc pipe used some were before but can't remember where. I know it was for a tranny pickup. I think that the plastic used in tranny filters is a lot different than pvc. It would be a interesting question and answer to know how well it would hold up. My question would be the joints. Not if they would come apart, but with that many joints, how do you keep it from sucking air and keep those joint solid with that heat. I would be concerned with what time/heat do to it. Would you use some type of pvc joint cement/glue. Think i'll stick with my deep 700 r4 filter.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwl View Post
I've seen that use of pvc pipe used some were before but can't remember where. I know it was for a tranny pickup. I think that the plastic used in tranny filters is a lot different than pvc. It would be a interesting question and answer to know how well it would hold up. My question would be the joints. Not if they would come apart, but with that many joints, how do you keep it from sucking air and keep those joint solid with that heat. I would be concerned with what time/heat do to it. Would you use some type of pvc joint cement/glue. Think i'll stick with my deep 700 r4 filter.
and you think that 7004r filter thats 95% plastic is some hytec plastic when the filter cost under 10 bucks
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM

no There is different quality of plastics used for different purposes. Its possible that the pvc is ok for tranny filter use. I located that other picture I saw of that combination and its the same picture I saw a while back. My filter is not going to set on the bottom of the pan. There is stand offs built in the bottom of the pan you mill down so the filter sets on them to give you filter support and oil clearance. I have a couple of guys who work for cablins plum&heating i'm going to ask that question to. I know when they remodeled my bath room, they used red and blue plastic lines for hot and cod water, and they were designed for it.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

There are high temp PVC materials. The rollers in our converter parts washer are made of a high temp white PVC pipe. We just rebuilt the machine

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.