Deep cleaning, carpets and seats - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM
TATE

Wiki Edits: 0

washing machine and shout is the way to go....these new materials in cars pretty much get stains from looking at them!! it takes them less then 10 hours to dry...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM

Carpet machines (our $30,000 truck mount steam units included) are designed not to penetrate past the backing of the carpet or upholstery. You can make them wet the padding but you really do not want to get it wet. That is why they are designed that way. The cushions would take a long time to dry and that could lead to mildew or mold problems.You will however get better lift with a portable steamer than you would with most shop vacs and also hot water which will be better. The best advice I have no matter what method you use...rinse out your cleaning agents! If you spray a detergent on carpets or upholstery and dont rinse it out, that residue will attract soil back very quickly and your hard work will be lost. Not to mention leaving chemicals on your upholstery could cause them to break down long term. Mist shout, vac, mist warm or hot water and vac to rinse. Same as our machines on a smaller scale.
On a seperate note, Costco has started selling Scotchguard carpet protector and it does help keep things looking nice longer!

Jk's idea of covering it with plastic so it doesnt wick back is a great idea!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrestorationllc
One other thing I do is if the foam cushion is really bad I will wrap in it plastic that I use on boat cushions to keep the stains in the cushion from ever coming back thru the cover.
We had a discussion about using plastic sheeting on roadster seats a while back. Plastic in boat seats, or any seat that sits outside, is a really bad idea. Plastic traps rain, and also simple condensation from changing temperatures. Look at these pics. This is a pontoon boat seat that is mounted vertically in the boat. A seat that sits horizontally would be even worse. The plastic was put on the wood at the factory the seats were made in. This is 3 days after a small rainstorm. The wooden base is still soaking wet, and won't get any better because even if there is no rain, condensation will keep it wet. The marine vinyl fabric cover for this seat even had a mesh vent at the bottom, but the plastic sheeting wouldn't allow the water to escape. Plastic under seat covers and especially next to wood does way more harm than good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0546-1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	30554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0547-1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	30555   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0548-1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	30556  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-11-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
TATE

this thread is about ways to clean seats...not leave your boat seats in a rainstorm for 3 days...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I said that the seat in question had been in a light rainstorm 3 days earlier, not in a 3 day rainstorm. My reply was in regard to putting plastic sheeting over foam in a car seat. I'm sorry you didn't feel my reply was relevant, but I am not a fan of putting plastic under any kind of seating, and I had pictures to back up my comments. I don't clean car seats for a living, but putting car seats in a washing machine will only fill the sew foam up with water. Soaking seats like that is inviting mold and mildew. 1/2" foam filled with water and wrung out will still take a very long time to dry, not just 10 hours, and if you re-assemble the seat with the sew foam still damp and put it next to the seat foam before it is completely dry, you will end up with big problems. BTW, these new materials ( like Polyester and Nylon) used in newer car seats are extremely resistant to stains, they don't attract stains.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-11-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM

I agree wrapping the cushion would be a bad idea but putting the plastic on top of a recurring stain would work and wouldn't inhibit airflow.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, if you have a stain continuing to bleed through, putting a piece of plastic over it would be just fine. I was talking about completely wrapping the seat foam with plastic.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
JMHO I can't imagine any cloth or carpet drying enough to re-install in less than a week. In any case, after cleaning, let it air dry as long as you can before reinstalling.
If you live here in Phoenix,AZ it takes about 45 minutes,Sunday it will be 110 with 5% humidity
Old 06-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I should have been clearer. I meant carpet with jute backing and seat covers with 1/2" sew foam that had been completely soaked through with water and cleaner.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM
jkrestoration

Last photo:

Wow, who would have thought there would be such discussion on this subject! I have done 2 cars since this thread started! Seems everybody has an opinion and thats just what it is, an opinion. I am by no means an expert but I have done enough of this to have an opinion. I have done cars that sold at dealerships and returned as trades and done them again to freshen them back up... I have never seen any issues as to wearability or molding. I KNOW how long it takes for a seat cover to dry. I KNOW that in most cases with the new materials cleaning of seats while in the vehicle will not take the stains out. It will look good till it dries back up. I do the vehicles that detail shops can't. I'm just saying that for me and my customers it works. Dealerships love the results and in the 8+ years I've been doing this I have had nothing but positive feedback. I just did a 2006 Dodge 1500 4 door that it looked like a dog lived in it. It had 23,XXX miles on it and when we finished it it looked like a truck with 23,XXX should. I'm sure this will not be the last word on this subject because like I said, everybody has an opinion. All I can say is if you do upholstery and any dealership work you should keep an eye out for a chance to make money doing this, it adds to your bottom line and is fairly easy work. As far as plastic on seats goes, I would say...and again its just an opinion... an interior in a car will maybe get cleaned using any of the methods describe in this link 3 or 4 times in its life, if ever. As for boat seats, I've done quite a few boats and yes they do take on water! They're boats! Thats why we all get cushions that need redone after the owner leaves his boat out in the weather with no cover. But I have also seen properly maintained boats that still have good looking seats in them that are 10-15 years old. The abuse watercraft see is unbelievable compaired to cars and trucks. I think watercraft manufacturers do everything they can to keep water out of the cushions but it gets in there. Who knows how many times a wood based cushion gets wet and dries out in its life in a boat. But anyway... I got some seats to clean..ha..ha...
Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I was not trying to say that you weren't getting the seats clean using your method. I'm sure you do a good job, and I'm sure you get things clean.

My opinion is that for newer seats with newer fabrics it would work fine, but might not be the way to do it with an older car. Another opinion is that any upholstery fabric that is not 100% synthetic does not belong in a washing machine.

Looking back, the original question was about cleaning a filthy 1990 pickup. Anything method he used to clean a filthy interior would be an improvement, and also, what does he have to lose?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
My opinion is that for newer seats with newer fabrics it would work fine, but might not be the way to do it with an older car. Another opinion is that any upholstery fabric that is not 100% synthetic does not belong in a washing machine.
Bingo.
Also for what its worth I do remove stains from upholstery without removing the material and without getting the cushions wet almost daily. Thats the difference between using a professional truck mount unit and using other methods. Average car interior (upholstery and carpets possibly the headliner only) $145-$225 depending on the # of seats and the size of the car. Dry in 3 hours and without having to reinstall anything. Keep in mind I have never seen a detail shop using the same equipment. We have pre treatments for any type of stain or fabric you can think of. Most of our work is IN home or commercial..carpets and upholstery cleaning. We also do mold remediation and water damage restoration.
It is possible to do this stuff at home well without paying for it but... Know your fabrics and your options.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM
TATE

What kind of machine do you have?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
I'm just tossing my 2 cents in here,

My question is this - has anyone here ever tried any of the home carpet/upholstery cleaning machines to try to clean a car/truck seat? Our "steam" cleaner has a wand to force hot cleaning solution into whatever you're cleaning, and the vacuum draws it out - it works wonders on furniture. Anyone ever tried it on a car/truck seat?

As far as carpets are concerned, the shop vac idea is the one to go with. Get the carpet as dry as you can with the shop vac, then hang it to dry - it might be dry by morning.
Agree

My son is a professional detailer. We have had excellent results using the home HYLA water vacuum system on car upholstery. (similar to the Rainbow) It comes with a carpet and upholstery shampoo head and its own shampoo.

We began using the HYLA when we discovered that regular shampooing and vacuuming did not get the deep dust out of the cushions. Slapping the flat of your hand on the seat caused dust to outline the handprint.

Washing the cushion out while vacuuming the water works for us. It not only cleans the upholstery but removes the cushion dust that works its way up to the fabric and cuts the fibers ruining the upholstery. (dust is sharp edged rocks) It dries in hours: let the breeze blow through. Never had a mildew problem.

We have one 20 year old, 250,000 mile beater Lincoln with fabric upholstery that looks like new with no wear or fading because it has been cleaned with the HYLA.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tobet8
What kind of machine do you have?
This one... The Genesis XT we also have a hydramaster 450 for smaller jobs that works great also.
http://www.powercleanind.com/product...ts_02.php?id=1

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.