Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Degreasing Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/degreasing-engine-36860.html)

olds37dude 03-29-2004 11:30 AM

Degreasing Engine

Just bought an Olds 350 engine over the weekend. Told it was in good working order. Wanted to clean it up. What's the best way to degrease it without getting it all over the garage? (don't want to power wash it)

Rice1965 03-29-2004 12:24 PM

Easy off oven cleaner

montea 03-29-2004 12:28 PM

simple green, gunk heavy duty engine degreaser, and oven cleaner like Rice1965 said

SAATR 03-29-2004 02:11 PM

Kinda hard to get the heavy stuff off without powerwashing. You could take it to a carwash and use one of those powerwashers with the degreasers. Better haul the motor on a trailer or put a tarp in the back of the truck though, oven cleaner and most heavy degreasers aren't too paint friendly. Just my .02.

camaroman7d 03-29-2004 05:44 PM

Simple Green works great, might take a few washs but the stuff is harmless and really does a good job. If the engine is caked with grease and dirt you might want to pick, scrape, wire brush as much as possible and then hit it with Simple Green. Oven cleaner is very HARSH it will etch aluminum and harm paint. Castrol Super Clean (purple stuff) works good but it will mark aluminum if left on too long, you will also need gloves with it (will dry out your hard BIG TIME).

Royce

Jmark 03-29-2004 05:52 PM

Oven cleaner is not a good choice for the engine compartment. It will take off paint and ruin some plastics too, not to mention it makes aluminum look real nasty!

poncho62 03-29-2004 05:54 PM

Get a paint brush and spread kerosene all over it, work it in and hose it off.

Why don't you want to power wash it?

Jmark 03-29-2004 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62
Get a paint brush and spread kerosene all over it, work it in and hose it off.

Why don't you want to power wash it?

Hope the guy don't smoke!! LOL

poncho62 03-29-2004 06:44 PM

If he does, he doesn't need to powerwash it......................

Delirious2000 03-29-2004 07:28 PM

Hey Royce...
I have always used Castrol Super Clean. I have had many problems with my aluminum parts either changing colors if anodized, or becoming very dull if clear coated. PLUS... my hands, you sure are right about the dry hands. They can peel for a couple of days.
Were you saying that the Simple Green will do just as good of job and will not kill my aluminum parts and my hands? That would be great. I was going to ask you guys what I should use on my new motor. I have a lot of clear aluminum parts and I don't want to ruin the coatings. Please let me know. If you think it will help, I will switch over for good and make sure I pass the good word! Thanks, Rick

camaroman7d 03-30-2004 09:42 AM

Yes, I am saying Simple Green will work as well as Castrol Super Clean without the negative effects. It doesn't dry out rubber or harm aluminum. Spray it on let it sit for a while and hose it off. If it is real bad scrubb a little and then hose it off. Sometimes you have to do it 2-3 times if really bad but, it is my prefered way of cleaning greasy/oily engines and engine compartments.

Royce