Hot Rod Forum banner

to degree a cam?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sam_bo3 
#1 ·
Finally got my parts rounded up and ready to install now I am wondering about degreeing the cam.

.04 over 350 15cc dish piston (not perfect with feeler gauge) .030-.035 deck height (little more than a thumb nail low in the hole)
.020 shaved vortec heads w/ .015 head gasket I calculate to about 9.3ish c/r
crane 282 energizer 226/ 226 dur .470 or .480 (can't remember now) 106 lsa
1.5 comp magnum roller rockers
400 turbo with 3500 stall 3.69 gears and for now 28in tires
this will be a "daily driver" in a sub 3000 lbs car.

Engine Analyzer says it will still knock on pump gas but retarding the cam 4 degree will help a lot going by the software. I am just wondering if there is something that I am not seeing but I don't think it should require more than 91 that is all I can get at the pump. Other wise I think I will install the cam straight up. I am going to see how she runs with 12 degree int. The destributor is already set for 34 all in @2800

#2 ·
I'm with you.........

I think the engine aynalizer is WORNG! 9.3cr ain't bad.......dished pistons OK... plenty of overlap on the cam......IF you install cam straightup...that is really retarding it 4or6 degrees. Most cam grinders advance there cams 4or6 degrees anyway. Look on cam card and figure out if it advanced 4or6 degrees and just retard it that much. Since I'm not doing the work.....I would try it just like it is! Make sure you have good engine cooling and good flowing exhaust. I bet it WON'T spark knock! :nono:
How about you other fellas?!! Will it knock or NOT!!? :eek: Lets have a survey :D
6sally6

#4 ·
sounds good to me. The headers are kinda small 1.5 in primaries w/ 2.5 collector. they are sanderson block huggers. I am gonna run duals with x pipe if they fit and dynomax hemi super turbo muffs. I doubt I can pull of the x-pipe. I have fairly small rad with cs1 electric water pump. Thanks for the in put.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.