Delco Remy Alternator question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Delco Remy Alternator question

A buddy of mine gave me an alternator he had in his garage. The numbers on it are 1102491 37A 6G20 12v Neg. I'm guessing it's a 37 Amp alternator. I also found they are obsolete and replaced by another model number. My question is.. is this alternator a self starting or does it require a regulator? It has the BAT terminal and GND and also terminal 1 and 2 like other GM alternators I've seen. Before I install this thing I want be sure it'll work. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Just a thought, 37A is a low amp altenator, why not get something like an 85 or 100 amp with the regulator built in...they have really come down in price. I bought a chrome one a number of years ago for under $100 on sale...still works great...still around that price and if you shop, probably cheaper.

Not sure if you need a regulator on that one but with the number of outlets, I wouldn't be surprised, you could pop the cover and see if it has a diode trio...then you know what you got.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:35 AM

Last photo:

If terminals 1-2 are coming out the rear, vs the side, you most prob have an external regulated alt.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The 37 amp alternators are mostly external regulation. I'm not aware of many 10/12 SI family alternators with that low an output. Wrecking yard 12 SI alternators with 78 amp output are $15 all day long - you'll spend more than that wiring up an external regulator.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate the info guys. The reason I was interested in using this alternator is because the casing is polished and has billet pulleys. I've removed the pulleys and fan blade and I can reuse them on another alternator. I'm running a 10SI alternator on my Ford truck now using the 1 wire setup. The alternator I have is a 10SI, however the field plugs are on the side of the casing and not out the back as mentioned by another poster. The casing on this alternator is different so I can't interchange that. I thought 37 amps was low as well. Must be an older model alternator? I got the information from the casing numbers but I'm also wondering if someone who went through all the trouble to put nice custom parts on it, didn't go through and upgrade the insides? I may have to pull it apart! Is there a way of checking the actual amperage without installing it ?

Last edited by kleen56; 04-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Might get a reading from the parts store for free...... not sure if their setup is go or no-go etc....

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.