Delco Remy CS130D Alternator Rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Delco Remy CS130D Alternator Rebuild

I began this project tonite and it did not go so well. The stator was and still is stuck in the front half of the alternator case. The stator, of course is attached to the rectifier at the back side of the rear half of the case, by three soldered connections which I also could not melt apart. Because of this i had to snip the connections to the rectifier on the rectifier side of the joint. This means the rectifier is trash.

I had to drive the thing apart, starting by forcing the shaft on the rotor backwards out of the front half of the case. The alternator is now apart, but the brush holder is trash, the rectifier is trash and both bearings are trash (the bearings are the reason I took this thing apart to begin with - they are squeaky and sloppy) The bottom slip ring has a groove in it the width of the brush but it is not all the way through.

Are the slip rings replaceable? I really hate to go to the parts store and get a new alternator. I've never had any luck with a parts store alternator, i'd rather just fix mine even tho it now needs alot more than it did before I messed with it

I am considering finding a good used alternator and installing new bearings and brushes, assuming it will come apart better than this one did... I dont know why those soldered joints wouldn't melt apart... that really frustrates me. I could have saved that rectifier, all the electronics of the alternator were fine - all it needed was bearings (and was going to get brushes at the same time)

BTW this alternator is an original 1996 alternator with 270,000 miles on it. It was time for some work. lol.

Not really sure where to go from here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

It's better to cut the stator leads from the rectifier, and really that many miles u r better off replacing the rectifier anyway, along with the regular, Won't last to much longer with that many miles. I have the connectors to slip over the stator wires if interested, let me know, I do this for a living, Dana, good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for the info. Yes I figured that it was better to cut the rectifier than the stator, but those snips were painful let me tell you. The parts store wants $98 for a new rectifier and thats $2 away from the cost of a new alternator (reman). Although that makes me wonder how much stuff they actually replace in that reman. Someone once told me that they only replace what is bad in a reman and leave the rest alone.

Have you seen, used or heard anything about the high amp alternator kits that are sold online for this alternator? They come with a new high amp stator, rectifier and regulator and some of them have the new brush holder that I need as well. I dont know if I need the extra amps really but if the kit is worth anything (its $100 as well) I see no reason not to get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-...#ht_1752wt_740

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-...#ht_1864wt_740
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

What parts do you actually need? Also their hi amp kits are really in the stator only (I have tested those) email me , kitch7@htdconnect.com.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Well all I needed to start with was bearings - but since it wouldnt come apart like it should have, I had to cut the copper straps that connect the rectifier to the stator. So I assume I need a rectifier as well. Then once I got in there I saw the brushes are getting short and it appears that one brush had put a groove in one of the slip rings. So the slip rings should PROBABLY be replaced along with the brushes, but if I had to I could use it the way it is (the alternator was still working fine, it was just squeeking and getting hard to spin. It would have locked up before long)

So what I need is

*Bearings
*Rectifier
*Slip rings
*Brushes & brush holder (which I broke trying to remove)

And if i do all that I might as well replace the regulator, I think its pretty cheap and the regulator and rectifier are soldered together anyways.

Also I am having a devil of a time melting out that solder they used to solder the rectifier and stator together. What is it that they use and what temp does it melt at do you know? A propane torch doesn't even seem to touch it even tho the connection gets red hot. Ive never seen anything like it before.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM

I would love to know the above information as well because im having the same problems removing my CS130D for Rebuild The solder does seem very strong.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

I actually was able to finally get the solder to melt but it took a torch and some pliers to pull the stuff apart. It was mainly that center connection that was the toughest.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Where did you get your replacement parts?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

I haven't gotten them yet. The regulator, brushes, bearings and rectifier are available at oreillys but not sure about the slip rings.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM

If you want to replace the bearings in this alternator is there any way to just remove the housing without de-soldering the rectifier ? I only really need the bearings done.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Best I can tell, you cannot replace the bearings without de-soldering it. That was all I was trying to do at first. The stator appears to be attached to the front half of the alternator case and the rectifier/regulator are on the back of the alternator case. In order to get to the bearings the front half of the case has to be removed and the rotor has to come out. The rear bearing is attached to the rotor and the front bearing has a retainer holding the bearing into the case.

In order to separate the case you have to either find out how the stator comes out (I dont think it will, its either glued in or has screws holding it in from the inside or something) or desolder the three leads connecting the stator to the rectifier (which passes through the back half of the case, preventing separation without desoldering or removing the stator)

I had a tough time getting those joints melted apart so I had to cut them to get them apart, unfortunately.

So what turned into just bearings has now become bearings and rectifier. Plus while I am in there I am going to replace the brushes and hopefully slip rings and regulator.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM

workaholic

I have a little shop in OH. We can sell you any kit you need. Please
go to my website to order. cs130= $49.00 + shipping thats brushes,
both bearings, voltage regulator, rectifer sorry no video ready for that one just yet. www.alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com . Send order form from site.
ps you cant melt that stuff, it's welded copper. You didn't screw up though,cut ... so that the stator leads are as long as possible. the new rectifier will have a drop down crimp and solder fit.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Workaholic

If you need a cs130d kit, go to my website and fill out order form. $49.95 +
shipping. www.alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com. Rectifier,voltage reg, bearings
brushes. Also educational or good reading alternatorrebuildkits.com. Don't reccomend doing bearings unless you know how. Our video isn't ready yet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.