Delco Remy Starter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Delco Remy Starter

I'm trying to figure out what starter to ask for, as a replacement to the one I have currently. According to the engine code T0322DF, I have a 307 from a 68 Chevelle. I have recieved the wrong starter twice from two different places, by giving them this info. The number on the bottom of the starter is 1108367 8 C 26. Does anyone know of a cross reference that would tell me what I should be asking for? The problem is most places won't take the time to match one up for me, so if they "can't look it up" I can't be helped! The Delco website is equally useless.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 AM

Last photo:

How many teeth on the flywheel/flexplate? A 153-tooth wheel (12-3/4" in diameter) uses a starter with mounting bolts set in a line perpendicular to the centerline of the starter shaft. A 168-tooth wheel (14" in diameter) needs one with bolt holes set at an angle to the shaft.

A '68 307 could use either size wheel, depending on original application, with the larger one generally found in heavy-duty applications (taxis, trucks, cop cars, anything using an 11" clutch, as opposed to the standard 10" one used on Chevelles).

The motor part of the starters from that era would accept a snout (starter drive housing) with either mount bolt pattern, and yours could have been changed out sometime in the past 37 years, so the number might not help you.

If the "parts man" is giving you a starter with perpendicular mount holes, tell him to try one for a pickup truck, and see if that one matches. Don't give them the old starter for a core until you're sure the new one actually fits and works. You might be better off getting the old one rebuilt at at auto electric shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

Mini-starter

I use a mini-starter. It has mulitple inline bolt patterns. It however will not bolt to a staggered block. I drilled a hole and tapped it. No more starter problems.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.