Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - delima = vacuum, valves, and timing
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2003, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face delima = vacuum, valves, and timing

I have a 55 Chevy truck with a '63 283 engine. The truck ran like it had a big cam, very thumpy, and would choke out when given gas. I beleived the problem was the 2V carb or a lobe knocked off the cam. I rebuilt the carb, no success. Now I swapped out the 2v for a 4v. While I had the intake off I did a little cleaning and put new valve seals in. So this during this little adventure I messed with rockers, took out the distributor, and put on a 4v and intake that I've never used before. Wanna guess why I'm here. After more attempts than I can count, and a few shots of starting fluid, it barely ran for about 5 seconds. The distributor is points style with vacuum advance. Carb is early 80's with more vacuum nozzles than I can count (and a couple of electronic gizmo's to boot). First, where should I connect the timing vacuum on the carb? Second, what procedure should I use to make sure the rockers are tightened enough to open the valves without over tightening them? Third, how can I know the timing is in an acceptable range without having the advantage of the engine running?

I need to get out of this mess quick, we have to move in one month and the truck needs to be running!

Thanks.