Demon Carb - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
how do you think those holes get in the jets that you buy out of a catalog? And I've been drilling jets since I built my first engine- often the local parts house doesn't have the jet I want so you get the next smallest one they do carry and bust out your drill bits. MOST carb shops drill their own air bleeds and those are even smaller holes in smaller brass inserts.
Ummm, I believe the correct way to punch a hole in a jet is to broach it, not drill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
air speed through the venturi = better fuel atomization..
less fuel needed for same power/rpm as it burns better(completely)

why would the air speed be any different based only on throttle blade size?
I think you are missing my point,Im not saying either carb is better,especially based on throttle blade size alone.

If I have a carb of any size at a fixed height and I need 100 cfm of air,the air would travel at or very close to the same speed in all carbs,at least when passing the throttle blades.

other factors combined are going to make the MPG change,not blade size
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Jet sizes can be up sized with a drill bit.There used to be special bits sold for that purpose.trouble with drilling is the machine marks left in the hole were not consistent enough to meter fuel flow,or sometimes the increase was huge in comparison to the size difference due to rifling in the hole.
some people drilled the jets from both ends to prevent rifling.or buy jets that are broached,,,
Thanks tech for the use of your vocabulary
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
how do you think those holes get in the jets that you buy out of a catalog? And I've been drilling jets since I built my first engine- often the local parts house doesn't have the jet I want so you get the next smallest one they do carry and bust out your drill bits. MOST carb shops drill their own air bleeds and those are even smaller holes in smaller brass inserts.

This **** really isn't rocket science.

and adding weight is not that hard with some epoxy and scrap lead, just like in the pinewood derby days.

I know a LOT of people prefer to buy their parts out of a catalog and pay someone else to do the work, and there's nothing wrong with that, I buy parts too. But there's also nothing wrong with fixing your own stuff.
You are nothing but a poser and YOU would say to me something like YOU build and try to make it sound like I prefer to buy stuff?????

You are a total jerkoff of the highest order and you have no business even posting 90% of the time- you have no engine experience all you are is a ****ing book worm.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-14-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
why would the air speed be any different based only on throttle blade size?
I think you are missing my point,Im not saying either carb is better,especially based on throttle blade size alone.

If I have a carb of any size at a fixed height and I need 100 cfm of air,the air would travel at or very close to the same speed in all carbs,at least when passing the throttle blades.

other factors combined are going to make the MPG change,not blade size
I don't know<<(sarcastic) why does it slow when you use bigger ports in heads???
same reason..
why water spray farthar when you put your finger over hose end... the pressure didn't change.. just the size of the hole..
why does ehaust speed slow when it gets to the collector...

Last edited by gearheadslife; 12-15-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Jets varying in flow rate such that jets with two numbers apart may flow the same, ie a 70 jet that flows on the high end of the tolerance may flow the same as a 72 jet that flows on the low side of the tolerance. You can buy sets of flow tested jets but they cost alot more.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The flow through a jet is determined by the surface finish, the length of the orifice, the entrance and exit angles and their finish, and the size of the orifice. When a jet is drilled oversize, all of these things are changed except the angles of exit/entrance, but even the lengths of the angles are changed.

The number stamped on a jet (Rochester, Holley, etc.) is an indication of the actual flow, NOT the orifice diameter. The manufacturers flow the jets to see what number they get stamped on them. The same orifice diameter jet may be stamped w/different numbers. This tells you they do not flow the same, even though the orifice diameter is the same. Subtle differences in the above parameters account for the different flows.

The difference between the correct and too rich/lean jet sizes may only be 0.002”-0.004”. There are no readily available drill bits that are that close in size to one another. So at best, the changes made to jets by hand drilling are going to be in steps decided by the availability of drill bits. Because drill bits are often available in 1/64” increments (the small numbered bits- which have a finer increment between bits- are too small for drilling the average carb metering jet), this will be on the order of a 0.0156” change between drill bits- which is HUGE (~40%) change in metering area when in the 0.070” jet orifice range.

It is for these reasons there is no practical way for a person to casually drill a jet and have any way of knowing what the flow is going to be. Drilling out jets is a holdover from the dark days when guys were struggling to make “high performance” engines live, and if they got within 10% of ‘right’ they were at the top of the heap. Nowadays, thankfully, we all (should) know better and leave the drilling of jets and other dubious practices to the desperate, the uneducated, and the poverty-stricken.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.