Demon carb questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Demon carb questions

i went to my local speed shop today to pick up some parts and while i was there i priced out a 575 speed demon. he told me not to get one, they have no idle quality, good for racing because they are basically on or off but not good for street use, he suggest the 570 holley street avenger, its a lil less expensive, and its an all around good carb, easy to tune and he's had absolutely no complaints on them. he said i could get the speed demon if i really wanted and a new base plate from barry grant that cures the idle problem for and extra $200. what do u guys think of this?

Advertisement
1992 Dodge Shadow
1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Hot Rod
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
-----------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

http://www.barrygrant.com/pages/news...id=IdleEZSolve

"Since all Demon carbs (including their predecessor the Claw) feature four-corner idle-metering circuits"
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

I run the 625 cfm Road Demon Jr. With a few problems at first just because i was new to 4 barrel carbs but it runs good now. I am going to get the 750 cfm speed demon for my 385 stroker.

Last edited by Novaman78; 11-30-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Re: Demon carb questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Chevy
i went to my local speed shop today to pick up some parts and while i was there i priced out a 575 speed demon. he told me not to get one, they have no idle quality, good for racing because they are basically on or off but not good for street use, he suggest the 570 holley street avenger, its a lil less expensive, and its an all around good carb, easy to tune and he's had absolutely no complaints on them. he said i could get the speed demon if i really wanted and a new base plate from barry grant that cures the idle problem for and extra $200. what do u guys think of this?
Most of what you described is incorrect.

Before you go spending money on a carb, I would recommend that you do a little research on BGs site etc..
Old 11-30-2004, 09:44 PM
He got me, like he got you

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

sounds lke the street avenger wasnt selling. the demon is a superior carb. i dont know what this idle problem is, set up is a little different than a holley. the metering circut is way more sensitive. my demon 750 carb is very smooth/and responsive ,not on or off at all. i would suggest to anyone who looking for a close alternative to a holley.

by the way i havent had any leaks,with the demon
Old 12-01-2004, 12:35 AM
BRB carring

Last photo:

Re: Re: Demon carb questions

Quote:
Originally posted by lluciano77
Most of what you described is incorrect.

Before you go spending money on a carb, I would recommend that you do a little research on BGs site etc..
i have done ALOT of research, and after all of that research and emailing carb companies i selected the 575 speed demon. it matches my cam profile, engine size ect.. but when u hear something bad about something you are going to spend a fair chunk of change on, and since i have no expierence with it, im gonna be a lil leary about it.

and it wasnt a sales pitch, he had a truck avenger in stock and that was it. he would rather me spend more money on the demon. but he knows me, he's one of my dads good friends, he was just giving me his expierences with the demon product line.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

This is just what I don´t need, after looking at all my options I just ordered a Speed Demon and an Air Gap manifold to sit it on.
The only problem I see with this carb is where do you hook up the vacuum line for power brakes?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:13 AM
He got me, like he got you

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

same place?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I went with a road demon jr. 625, it idles fine, and responds fine.
I didn`t go with a Holley since they have poor quality control, the base plates are known breakers, while the demon plate is made of billet and is unbreakable. Truth is, many don`t like Demons because they don`t know how to tune them, you can`t do a demon as you would a holley or another carb, it`s very precise, but once it`s set it`s set. If you do go with a demon you won`t be unhappy, but make sure you read the instructions that come with the carb, and go over them real well and follow everyone, if you miss one step the carb won`t be right. I`ve seen many slap a demon on, not read the instructions and then call it a piece of junk, it`s not the carbs fault if the installer don`t know how to tune it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Our carburetors are more calibration specific than our competitors. This generally gives use better performance if they are installed on the application they were designed for, but also means if the carburetor was incorrectly sold, or picked they will not perform as well as they should. We also do continual research and development on our products, and update them as we find better calibrations, and components. We upgraded the Baseplates on our Speed Demon, and Mighty Demon series carburetors to come with our Idle-Eze® system almost a year ago now. This system helps adjust the carburetor easier if the specifications on the engine may be a little outside the range of where the carburetor was engineered to work. If you’ll contact our technical department directly at (706) 864-8544 we can help you determine which carburetor is going to give you the best overall performance on your combination
Old 12-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I run the 625 Road Demon on my Malibu.It is always there when I touch it,drops off when I let out of it.Response is terrific.Real good product.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

thanks everyone for all of your help, he must have not delt with demon carbs in a while, because im sure he is unaware of the Idle-Eze system that comes on them now. so thanks again to everyone that helped me, this site is great.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
Old 12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tech @ BG
Our carburetors are more calibration specific than our competitors. This generally gives use better performance if they are installed on the application they were designed for, but also means if the carburetor was incorrectly sold, or picked they will not perform as well as they should. We also do continual research and development on our products, and update them as we find better calibrations, and components. We upgraded the Baseplates on our Speed Demon, and Mighty Demon series carburetors to come with our Idle-Eze® system almost a year ago now. This system helps adjust the carburetor easier if the specifications on the engine may be a little outside the range of where the carburetor was engineered to work. If you’ll contact our technical department directly at (706) 864-8544 we can help you determine which carburetor is going to give you the best overall performance on your combination
Holy hell, thats cool that a company's tech guy reads a public forum... Makes me happy to own one of your carbs! . Not to hijack the thread, but what is the Idle-Eze? I think my 850 SD thats going on my 393 is a little too old to have it, is there a way to add it?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Idle-Eze

The Idle-Eze is an air bypass system that is in our carburetors that eliminates the need to drill holes in the butterflies to get the carburetor to idle properly. We have information about them on our website at www.barrygrant.com An 850 would seem extremely large for an engine that small. IS this something you had from another project?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:49 PM
More rust

Last photo:

Re: Idle-Eze

Quote:
Originally posted by Tech @ BG
The Idle-Eze is an air bypass system that is in our carburetors that eliminates the need to drill holes in the butterflies to get the carburetor to idle properly. We have information about them on our website at www.barrygrant.com An 850 would seem extremely large for an engine that small. IS this something you had from another project?
Yep... Bought it for a 501 Ford that I didn't finish and sold. The 393 is a Cleveland, which for some reason historically like big ol' carbs on them (a fella on the Mustang board made 'bout 20 more HP swapping a 850 in place of his 750), those Holley 950s show up alot on Cleves and seem to run well; thats why I wasn't super worried about running it on this motor (its gonna end up a 4V headed 393C, 246/256 @.050 cam with around .600 lift, 10.5:1, Torker, 4 speed and a 3.89 gear). I do some installation work for my uncle who owns a speed shop, so I can get stuff without a markup, and with the price the Demon sells for vs. similar carbs I couldn't pass it up. Really nice piece, hope it looks as good on a motor as it does on my desk .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.