Demon Carbs - Do They Suck? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 05:49 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Demon Carbs - Do They Suck?

Ok, don't get too excited, but I had to get your attention.

I've learned a lot lately about carbs and was inquiring about Demon Carbs.

I have learned from "several" sources that "lately" in recent years, the quality of Demon Carbs (barry grant) has gone down the tubes. Manufacturing problems, quality control, cheap parts, poor customer service, etc.

What is your experience with them. I don't want to lay down $650 for a high end carb only to hear you guys tell me after the fact that I should have stayed away from them and bought some other brand or custom carb builder's unit instead for the same price or less.

Your opinons please................

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

At the recommendation of BG Tech (a member here), I installed a Mighty Demon 750 VS early last year and haven't had a problem with it since. With minimal adjustments and no internal changes, it gave a crisp response. It might be a little harder to tweak, but that's all in the knowledge and hands of the tweaker.

I did have a hard time finding just the right brackets and linkage pieces to hook it up the way I wanted it, depending on your application, you may have to customize bracket and linkage pieces as well, but that's fun stuff.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 PM

demon carb ads?

Recently I've been seeing a lot of demon carb ads,claiming more power and also people claiming they get 20-25mpg with them.I've never owned a demon carb.But my old engine in my truck used to be a stock 350 and it did'nt get more than 16mpg on the freeway.Has anybody else seen that kind of mileage with thier demon carbs?
Bonzipenguins
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I dun learned sumthin

I've got a 750 speed demon and have zero complaints with it. Didn't even have to do much tuning to get it right. Can't tell you about mileage though as I haven't accutally tested it. I can tell you that I do get poor mileage but it was not built for mileage.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSS350
I've got a 750 speed demon and have zero complaints with it. Didn't even have to do much tuning to get it right. Can't tell you about mileage though as I haven't accutally tested it. I can tell you that I do get poor mileage but it was not built for mileage.
when did you get the Demon carb?

was it new when you got it or used?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

I had 2 of them, an 850 and a 650. I could never get the choke set right on the 850, other than that, it was the same as the Holley 850 I had. I could never get the 650 to run, and it was new out of the box. Sold them both, and went back to my Holleys. I really liked the 850, but it never had the crisp throttle response as the Holley.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 AM

Last photo:

Demon Carbs-Do They Suck?

After asking the Tech @ BG rep here for his sugestion,after supplying him with all the specs on my car, I went with a new Mighty Demon annular design 800 dp on my roller cam equipped LS-6 454 big block.I took the float bowls and metering plates off to check and make sure all was OK,and it was.After driving it a bit I had to go up in jet sizes all around,but other than that I am really pleased with my Mighty Demon.There is no more leaking like my old Holley,response is fantastic,idle is the same all the time,and WOT is a blast.Once I had it set where I wanted it,I havent touched it since.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
After asking the Tech @ BG rep here for his sugestion,after supplying him with all the specs on my car, I went with a new Mighty Demon annular design 800 dp on my roller cam equipped LS-6 454 big block.I took the float bowls and metering plates off to check and make sure all was OK,and it was.After driving it a bit I had to go up in jet sizes all around,but other than that I am really pleased with my Mighty Demon.There is no more leaking like my old Holley,response is fantastic,idle is the same all the time,and WOT is a blast.Once I had it set where I wanted it,I havent touched it since.
when did you purchase your demon?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Leejoy,

I’ll rephrase what you’ve said to heard, instead of learned since you going off of peoples opinions. Carburetors in general are perceived as one of the harder parts on an engine to deal with for a number of reasons.

1) Most people do not know how to properly “tune” an engine
2) There aren’t as many knowledgeable mechanics around anymore to help
3) Mismatching of parts is more common than ever before
4) The carburetor is usually the last thing to get bolted onto the engine so it’s the first thing to get blamed when there is a problem
5) Lastly the carburetor is asked to makeup for other problems such as an inappropriate camshaft for the combination

The majority of carburetor problems regardless of what brand are due to misapplication, or improper tuning. We’re not perfect, and would never claim to be, but we try extremely hard to build the best possible product for the money. We’ve made numerous changes in our Q/C program and testing procedures over the past few years to reduce the number of problems. We always look for and appreciate the feedback we get from our customers, which is why we monitor hundreds of message boards on a regular basis.

Guy purchased his carburetor last month.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:36 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

I have been selling cutting tools to the Big Three for years. When you cut aluminum, sometimes the milling cutter leaves tiny burrs along the edges of the part. Every manufacturer that cuts aluminum spends a lot of maoney on high-pressure washer tanks and other methods to remove them (anybody with a Chevy Trailblazer or GMC Envoy would be amazed at what they would find if they ever pulled a head). Early on Grant supposedlly had a problem with tiny burrs not being totally removed and rodders would have a fit at find them. "Holley never has this problem!" was the common declaration. Well, how could they since they don't machine aluminum billet to make their parts?! I ran into Barry Grant two weeks ago at the IMTS show in Chicago and he just shook his head when I asked him about it. That little production problem was solved a long time ago.

Our Demon carbs any good? They are the best if you follow the selection guide that Demon has or call thier techs BEFORE you buy the carb! They flow more than the model number, ie a 650 flows about 680 cfm. People select their Demon the same way they did their Holley and they run into trouble. The Demon's are also sensitive to the cam you have and that is a very important part in selecting your Demon. Tell the tech EVERYTHING about your engine and you will get a jewel-like piece of metal art that will be as responsive as fuel injection. I love my Demon and have had ZERO PROBLEMS with it. I would recommend them to anybody.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

no there great
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I dun learned sumthin

Quote:
when did you get the Demon carb?

was it new when you got it or used?

I bought it about three years ago. It was brand new.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Carbs don't suck, the engine does. That's what pulls the air and fuel through the carb and into each cylinder.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Carbs don't suck, the engine does. That's what pulls the air and fuel through the carb and into each cylinder.

LOL!!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
I have been selling cutting tools to the Big Three for years. When you cut aluminum, sometimes the milling cutter leaves tiny burrs along the edges of the part. Every manufacturer that cuts aluminum spends a lot of maoney on high-pressure washer tanks and other methods to remove them (anybody with a Chevy Trailblazer or GMC Envoy would be amazed at what they would find if they ever pulled a head). Early on Grant supposedlly had a problem with tiny burrs not being totally removed and rodders would have a fit at find them. "Holley never has this problem!" was the common declaration. Well, how could they since they don't machine aluminum billet to make their parts?! I ran into Barry Grant two weeks ago at the IMTS show in Chicago and he just shook his head when I asked him about it. That little production problem was solved a long time ago.

Our Demon carbs any good? They are the best if you follow the selection guide that Demon has or call thier techs BEFORE you buy the carb! They flow more than the model number, ie a 650 flows about 680 cfm. People select their Demon the same way they did their Holley and they run into trouble. The Demon's are also sensitive to the cam you have and that is a very important part in selecting your Demon. Tell the tech EVERYTHING about your engine and you will get a jewel-like piece of metal art that will be as responsive as fuel injection. I love my Demon and have had ZERO PROBLEMS with it. I would recommend them to anybody.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............interesting...........

food for thought...........

I will consider your comments and process them accordingly. thanks for your input.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.