Hot Rod Forum banner

Demon carbs lean at transition

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Blown Camaro 
#1 ·
I got my AEM Failsafe hooked up and it works great. Easy to read display even in sunlight. Anyway, have some questions:
I am running a 6-71 blower with 2 Demon 650 double pumper blower carbs.

Idle AFR is 13.0 and nice and smooth at 1000 RPM

>>> In Neutral <<<

Bring the RPM up to 2000 and it reads 12.5
Bring the RPM up to 2500 and it reads 15.5 and the engine is missing
Bring the RPM up to 3000 and it reads 12.7 and smooths out again
Okay, where do I start? I am very good with carbs so lay it on me. I am thinking idle air bleeds are too big?

#2 ·
Here's the deal. Had to lean the idle out to stop the blower surge. Screws are only out 3/4 a turn on all of them. Transfer slots are correct. Timing is locked at 28 degrees. Cam is 234/244 @ .050. Idle vacuum is 10 inches.

I get the feeling that if I could richen the idle I could solve the part throttle miss/surge but THEN the blower surge would come back?

:drunk:

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Here's the fun for tonight (I actually do enjoy carbs, they make me THINK!)

Took some 18 gauge wire and stripped it to individual strands (tiny). Put one strand in each idle air bleed and bent over the edge of carb so they would be held in by the air cleaners. Started car and warmed it up. Car idled rough so I had to back all 8 mixtures screws out 1/8 more. No blower surge. Checked the AFR and Aha! A difference, although only .4 AFR. But the misfire at 2500 was reduced. Added one more strand to each bleed and now the IFR is down to 14.9 @ 2500.

So I ordered the Proform kit that has bleeds from 65-75. Bet I'll be using the 65's but it is just a hunch.

I could probably up the primary jetting but I already have 79's in there and a 6.5 power valve. Hard to believe 650's would need more than that?
When I power brake it against the convertor the AFR drops to 10.5 so I am plenty rich already!

#7 ·
Well thought I would give you guys an update. I tore into the carbs today and used a borrowed set of numbered drill bits on the IFR's. I went one step larger, but I do not know what size. What I did was take the largest bit that would just slide through and then went up one size. Honestly, my eyes can't read numbers that small anymore. Started the car and the idle was of course a lot richer. Went about 1/8 turn closing on the 8 idle screws and got a 12.5 AFR smooth idle. At 2,000rpm now have 14.0 cruising and at 2,500rpm it is 14.7! Man I am damn happy now. Tip in and it goes to 13.0 and a little more throttle and it is 12.5 . I think this is just about dead nuts for a blower motor.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I just have to get it to the track so I can do the jets and HSAB's. I think it's close, just on the rich side.

#9 ·
Hey, that's a great idea! I am going to try that. My blower goes instantly to 10psi at full throttle then climbs to 11 so I think that switch would work great.

BTW, just got home from the track. AFR is 12.7 under boost I think it's lean! But at 3500 cruise it is 11.5 so I think I am going to pull 4 numbers from the primaries and add 6 to the secondaries. What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.