DEmon or Street Avenger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

DEmon or Street Avenger

OK folks I need to hear some opinions on this choice. I've got a SBC 350/TH400 for my '46 Chevy Panel. It does have just a mild cam nothing radical. Its going to be just a crusier no racing or anything like that. I've looked at both the Demons and the Holly Street Avengers for carbs and they both seem close. I've had Holly's in the past and did not like having to adjust them all the time. Now its been quite awhile since I've built a car so things have changed and I'm not sure how, good or bad. So your opinions of these carbs will help me decide which way to go.

Thanks folks
David

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I use the Holley Street Avenger carb and am pleased with it. For street use, I'd stick with a vacuum secondary carb and an electric choke.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Bluepen, Holleys & the new Demons have come a long way. I use to feel the same way about Holleys, but not anymore.
What max RPM do you plan to run your 350 to ? John
Old 01-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Demon or Holly?

The Street Avenger system is a step above the standard Holly Carb but the Demon has a certain appeal for its unique design so its all up to you man. Both are good systems, both have great qualities and good appearance on the intake! I have the Avenger on the shelf and plan to purchase the Demon to compare one to the other as I can. I am leaning towards the 600cfm Road Demon jr for $260 out of the Summit catalog for street use. The 650cfm Avenger cost nearer to $400 with the mods and is for drag racing. But the easiest setup so far was the 600 cfm Edelbrock manual choke for $230 from summit. Just my 2cents of course.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The carbs I'm looking at are the Holly Avenger 670 CFM, and the Demon Jr at 625 CFM and the Road Demon at 625 CFM. Now I'm not looking to pull monster HP or anything but the Holly calls for a 570 CFM for less than 300 HP and I was alway thinking about a 650 CFM would be about right but with the 625 CFM we'll be right there in the middle so I think thats where I should go, I'm just not sure. For rough figuring I've figured that with 29" tires and 3.50 rear gears at 70 MPH it should be about 2500 to 2800 on the RPM with a max of maybe 3500 to 4000 RPM once in awhile (gotta play a little). The other thing I'm looking at is parts availability for the Demons and the difference between the Demon Jr. and the Road Demon. Is it worth the extra $100.

Thanks folks for any help you can give me.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The Jr. should be fine for your application, I run one on a mild 350. the biggest difference with it and the Holley is, Holley`s quality control is somewhat less than outstanding, the demon is made of billet which is non breakable. he down side to the Demon is, it takes a while to tune them, there not like a holley tune wise, if you buy a Demon it`s not bolt it on, turn a few screws and go, you gotta read the booklet that came with it and read it closely 1 step at a time until it`s right, but when it`s right the reward is good throttle response and it stays in tune pretty good. Demon is also the only carb company i`ve seen that has a member here, which is Tech @ BG, and there just as helpful here as they are if you call them.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

alls you really need for a 350 thatll never go over 5000RPMs is a 570CFM Hollet Street Avenger. I built a near stock 350 for a friend of mine recently, has a lil 570Holley on it. Works great.
A 625 Demon should work just fine too.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:34 PM

Ive run em both,strait up,all a demon is is a refined holly,the larger you go,the less its going to respond and be finicky. If your only going to turn it to 4000 or so,I would seriously consider running the road demon jr 525,I think you will find the flow to be plenty enough for that range and it wouldn't give you any tuning grief,not to mention your off idle response would be killer.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

The demons are great carbs, i have both a speed demon 650 and a holley 3310 750. I like them both, the demons flow more than they say they do that much i know. I have not tried the jr. but they sound good. from what i hear they are the less extreme version of demon, I know my 650 was jetted way rich for my fairly hot 355. I tuned it and she purrrrrs. My 750 is on a 429 ford and it also pulls like crazy. either way you go they are good. Im not a fan of edlebrock however. Theres not enough to tune Id go nuts with nothing to do all day.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.