Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Body - Exterior (
-   -   Dent (

bjam2 10-01-2002 11:45 AM

There is a dent between the wheel and door in my 85 el camino.

I took it to a body shop and they said they couldn't do anything and it would cost $1100 for a whole new panel put on.

I tried to pull the dent with a screw in dent puller but it didn't work. The body shop also tried a suction cup puller which did nothing.

Someone mentioned jacking it out for inside the car (in the cubby) but there is a inner piece in the way.

What should I try next?

I am not very experienced with body work how hard is it to replace the whole panel?

What tools would I need?

Any other advice?

Halloweenking 10-01-2002 12:11 PM

replacing the panel you described is not very hard. The tools you'll need are a mig welder prefferably, sanding supplies, wheel cutter or saws-all. Cut the old panel off, well the new one on, grind welds smooth, smooth with body filler and prime/seal and paint and your done. If you need a step by step let me know, I'll do what I can to teach you how to do it.

Replacing a entire body panel isn't something to start out on, do you have any body men/women to help you? If not, have you checked around for better prices at bodyshops? If not let me know, I'll do what I can to help you.


bjam2 10-02-2002 03:09 PM

Would an arc-welder work?

When I try to pull out the dent with the slide hammer type dent puller it just makes a little mound.

CARGUY 10-02-2002 07:24 PM

one dent will need to be pulled in several places thruout not just one

Halloweenking 10-02-2002 07:45 PM

Most any welder will work if you know how to use it, but arc is fine.

Carguy is correct, most large dents will need to be pulled more than once sometimes several different places. Went dents form metal around the dents strech they don't just cave. If you plan to try to pull the dent you must pull in several different spots as well as shrink the steel back into shape. There are a few methods of doing this but none are for the beginner. If you try to pull the dent and do it in several different places try dry ice. Pass a chunk of dry ice by the outside of the dented area, the dry ice will cause the steel to contract and sometime the dent will pop itself out depending on size, direction of dent and place on the body. This is the only "safe" way to do this without the aid of an exsperienced bodyman. Other methods are normally used, but to the newcomer they are not recomended do to difficulty.


ponchowerx 10-04-2002 09:15 PM

Can you get a prybar behind there and bang it out with a hammer? [I assume your jack is alot bigger]. If not try to tack weld a piece of metal[angle, flat bar on edge] to the dent, drill some holes in it and yank on that instead, either by a chain or bars inserted into the holes or even your slidehamer. A pull on a larger area will help on this hard dent.After just grind it off. Just my .02

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.