Dent removal - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You guys are all liveing in a dream world. If you want a dent removed, go to a body shop. Suction cups and dry ice are myths.

Troy-Curt,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Troys gotta be right. On monster garage it actually made the dent worse and the body work/paint guy had to spot weld studs, pull the dent out, and then put a big slab of bondo over the roof.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:06 PM

Ya, even though this is my thread, I'm gonna be talking like an idiot here. I bought the ding king a long time ago. It doesn't work. But, it came with 2 things that are useful. One of them scrapes stuff off your car without damaging the paint. Nice for taking off lettering and logos to make your car look a lot nicer and cleaner. Another tool it came with is like a spoon technique tool thingy. It doesn't hurt the paint either, and it's the thing where you put it under the dent and push it out.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:25 PM

I am also a shop owner and a certified journeyman for the past 10 years.This in it self makes me qualified to say get with the times!!! If you haven't used a SNAP-ON suction cup don't be so quick to judge.Give new things a try,whats it hurt.These are a big time saver and very good for getting things roughed out.It is not a cheap cheezy tool that you would see advertised on T.V!! OR MAYBE THATS JUST MY DREAM WORLD TALKING AGAIN

Last edited by tyson; 08-12-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Yep, your right, you can pull a caved in panel out if there are no creases,but that is far from finished.In a ten man shop you might use a suction cup 3 or 4 times a year. there is probably a dozen of them laying around my shop.They are strong enough to move my 6ft. x 8ft. snap on anniversary tool box around the shop.

Like I say you cant do body work with a suction cup. If you came into my shop, and applied for a job, saying you could do body work with a suction cup, you would not be hired.

At 28 years old, you started really young to be a journyman and a shop owner for 10 years. But spraying bed liners is not doing body work.

Troy,

Last edited by troy-curt; 08-12-2003 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:00 PM

I never said that using a cup was doing body work,i said it is good for getting panels roughed out.I took over the family busi and that is why i have been involved in the trade so long.As for spraying box liners,whats wrong with doing that at a body shop.I live in a small town and am the only to provide the service.AND DON'T WORRY I WON'T BE APPLYING FOR A JOB ANY TIME SOON!!
Old 08-15-2003, 01:17 AM

The suction cups have their place. On a large compression dent as can happen to some vehicles from merely leaning against them, a suction cup can be used immediately with no lasting noticeable damage. On similar dents that have been there a few days it works too but if you spend several minutes with a light gazing this way & that you may find the trace of a crease, but hey, gramma's happy with the way it's fixed! LOL
Old 08-15-2003, 06:01 AM

Last photo:

LOL

Last edited by troy-curt; 08-15-2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hell...on the right kind of dent a toilet plunger will work. Pinstrip...depending on the dents you have, what kind of shape the paint is in with the dents, will determine what needs to be done. Is the paint chipped? Are the dents sharp or a shallow rounded dent. If they are sharp forget about working them out without doing some body work. If the paint is chipped then they will need to be repainted anyhow. If they are just a shallow dent, then look into some of the Paintless Dent Removal companies that have taken over the world. They do this day in and day out and can remove minor dents so you cannoy even tell where they are at. If it is one of these cars that has a consistent row of door dings / parking lot dings / open the door against a workbench daily kind of thing, then consider getting the sides worked out with a little bit of body filler and repainted. If the car is in that good of shape with no rust then I would consider getting the complete car fixed and repainted as it has and will hold its resale value. Forget the dry ice, forget the ding king. Get it done right, by someone that knows what they are doing. There are no miracle cures that will make the car look new. Period.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 PM

Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripebob
I have an '84 El Camino I got from my grandpa when he died. It was in California all it's life until it came to Indiana. It was driven slightly in the winter 2 times by my dad. Anyways, there are some small dents in the car, and the ding king doesn't work. I have heard of using dry ice to remove dents before. Does anyone know how this works?
My Son suggested the same thing. I use to work in Aircraft and maybe on Aluminum it might work, but on the cab top and the size of the dent I doubt it. We have never seen it done. Two quotes from a body shop was about $700.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Hell...on the right kind of dent a toilet plunger will work. Pinstrip...depending on the dents you have, what kind of shape the paint is in with the dents, will determine what needs to be done. Is the paint chipped? Are the dents sharp or a shallow rounded dent. If they are sharp forget about working them out without doing some body work. If the paint is chipped then they will need to be repainted anyhow. If they are just a shallow dent, then look into some of the Paintless Dent Removal companies that have taken over the world. They do this day in and day out and can remove minor dents so you cannoy even tell where they are at. If it is one of these cars that has a consistent row of door dings / parking lot dings / open the door against a workbench daily kind of thing, then consider getting the sides worked out with a little bit of body filler and repainted. If the car is in that good of shape with no rust then I would consider getting the complete car fixed and repainted as it has and will hold its resale value. Forget the dry ice, forget the ding king. Get it done right, by someone that knows what they are doing. There are no miracle cures that will make the car look new. Period.

Kevin
Hey Kevin, Paint no big issue, this old truck needs a paint overhaul. Sharp edge over the passenger door. Somebody either sat or stood on the cab.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson
I am also a shop owner and a certified journeyman for the past 10 years.This in it self makes me qualified to say get with the times!!! If you haven't used a SNAP-ON suction cup don't be so quick to judge.Give new things a try,whats it hurt.These are a big time saver and very good for getting things roughed out.It is not a cheap cheezy tool that you would see advertised on T.V!! OR MAYBE THATS JUST MY DREAM WORLD TALKING AGAIN
When your 69 and retired, you can't alway's come up with big money. I think I will see if Harbor Freight in my home town of Wichita might have the cup. Thanks guy's for your advice on this issue.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 AM
0.....55.../100

Try your plunger first. It might save you some money.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
The dry ice is a myth, forget about it. IF you did you dry ice it would simply be one many cooling methods for shrinking metal once you have heated it. Other methods would be water, blowing air, all you are doing is cooling the metal so the molecules "gather" tightening up the metal, thus "shrinking" it.

Here is were we visited this myth. Fixing dents with dry ice myth revisited.

WIth proper tools and a good PDR "Paint-less dent repair" guy they are likely repairable without any filler or paint work. Those cars have a lot of room behind the panels generally and should be a good candidate for PDR. I have a guy who comes by fixing stuff for us once in a while who is a friggin magic man when it comes to PDR.

But other than a very experienced PDR tech the only way would be to correct the damage by "metal finishing" and painting or by using a filler and painting. There is no magic dry ice, or suction cups that are going to repair dents. They may HELP you repair them but that is all they will do, no magic here.

Brian
Old 11-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

OK, so the dry ice doesn't work, but here are three others that do work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24Q4Sn8nWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LjiCwQKAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJK7...eature=related

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.