Dents in a bonnet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 04:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Dents in a bonnet

I have a few small dents in my bonnet which would be easily knocked out with a hammer and dolly.

The problem is that i can't get to the back of the dent(or high side) as it is covered by the bracing on the underside of the bonnet.

How should i go about removing the dents. There are a couple in various places, with the largest being about the diameter of a golf ball, but only a few mm deep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 05:02 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Try suction first (suction cup with firm steady pulls) and if that doesn't get them, lightly weld pins (small nails work) to center of dent and use a slide hammer to CAREFULLY pull them up. Grind off pin, again carefully, and you have it. Use minimal heat so pin will be easy to remove. Good luck- (what are you working on?)
Old 05-13-2003, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

a 1962 s series chrysler valiant. It is similar to a 1962 v200 plymouth valiant.

Here is a picture(not mine):

http://www.1962valiants.com/whitter.html
Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Wow...!!! I like things that are 'not the norm' as far as looks go... and that is DIFFERENT!!! It should be really cool when finished!! Are you keeping all the chrome- restoring- customizing??
Old 05-13-2003, 04:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

In my area they do this thing called "Paintless dent removal". They actually get behind the dents and work them out, using rods of different lengths with bends on the ends. They are able to get to dents under braces with those rods. You might consider something like that to get them out. You could get some rod, like 3/8" diameter and make bends on the ends. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for all your replies, i will give some of them a go.

adtkart, i noticed you are from Newport over there, i am from a place called newport in Australia.

Dragon J.
I am going all out on the car. I have put in some 31 inch mini tubs in the rear. I am installing air bag suspension as we speak. I will be using a LSD diff supported by a custom made four link. The engine is a 225cui bored 60thou slant six which i have fully worked and i will be making up a custom fuel injection set up. The engine is backed by a supra five speed gearbox.

I will be making ther car into a 2 door and stretching the front doors. This will mean that i have to move the b pillar rearward and i will be making it perpendicular to the roof, not angled like it is. I will be deleting the vent windows at the front and using a single piece of glass. The rear side window will be one piece of fixed glass as i will remove the quater pillar.

Also i will be moving the handles into the chrome for the hidden look and i am making up a custom fuel filler door.

The car will ride on 18 inch wheels with low profile tyres. The front steering will be converted to rack and pinion and the interior will be fully customised.

And basically all this will be done by myself.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:46 AM

Last photo:

Thumbs up

Again...WOW!!! Sounds really COOL!!! Can't wait for pics- I didn't check before posting and will after- do you have an album? If not get some pics up- this project sounds really neat and to be doing it yourself is even cooler!! Good Luck to you and keep us posted as to progress!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your kind words. No i don't have an album. I have taken heaps of photos so far but. As soon as i get access to a scanner i will put them up.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I've always admired those Valiants. IMHO, the most beautiful small car ever made. I think it is great you are running the slant-6. Breath of fresh air to see something that doesn't have a 350 SBC in it.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by Dragon J:
<strong>Try suction first (suction cup with firm steady pulls) and if that doesn't get them, lightly weld pins (small nails work) to center of dent and use a slide hammer to CAREFULLY pull them up. Grind off pin, again carefully, and you have it. Use minimal heat so pin will be easy to remove. Good luck- (what are you working on?) </strong><hr></blockquote>
we use the pins in our shop and its called a uni spotter and the good thing is you dont have to dril no holes
Old 05-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Whoa wait a minute...You are going to make it into a 2door, stretch the doors, move the pillars...etc and you aren't sure how to get a ding out of the hood?! Not to sound mean or anything, but something doesn't sound right with that...especially after you told us that you are going to be doing all the work yourself.
As far as the car and the re-design concept goes, it sounds sweet. Didn't they make those cars in 2 door? You may be able to find doors or skins to start with.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 05-21-2003, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

Weimer,
Yep i'm doing all that and yes they did make a 2 door, but only over there in the states.

I knew the above mentioned methods of welding a pin in and using a slide hammer to pull it out, and trying to use suction, however i was just asking to see if there was any other suggestions which popped up. I don't work in the automotive trade so the only way i hear of new methods is by reading magazines and sites like this.

If it were a simple dent i wouldn't have a drama, however i can only get to one side of the dent.

I'm sure even the most experienced of body men learn how to do simple things new ways all the time.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Just how are you going to stretch the doors if you can't pop a dent in a roof.

Kevin
Old 05-21-2003, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

I think you have the wrong idea. I can pop the dents in my bonnet(not roof) using a slide hammer and welding a screw onto the hood. I could also drill a hole in the centre of the dent and pull it out that way. I just wanted to see if anyone had any out of the ordinary ideas.

If you doubt my ability to do it, thats fine i don't really care. It's my car and i will do as i please. I am a compotent welder and i am studying mechanical engineering at university. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos so i can show you exactly how good it turns out in the end.

Cya
Richard

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: 62slantsix ]</p>
Old 05-21-2003, 08:23 PM

Ive been using a stiff butter knife to get under the braces or a a thin high strength screw driver. Gently pry from underneath will using light reflections from your garage lights.Flouresent light works best. The straight reflections of the bulbs will be your guide. Don't do it outside in the day light. You need mirror like reflection of the bulb tubes to see what your doing.Don't try to push it out with one push. Massage it out gently in various spots of the dent until you see a sraight reflection of the light bulb. Look at it from various angles to get your best results. Take your time at it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.