Hot Rod Forum banner

Derby Car - Need Some Help

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Mollard 
#1 · (Edited)
My derby car (1982? Caprice wagon) already went through a derby last year. It sat all winter and I'm getting it out for this years derby. I put some new gas in it and it fired right up. But...

It idles kind of rough, and when I put it in gear is chugs like a tractor or something. It doesn't stall though.

What are some thing I could check to make it run better?

its a 305 by the way

From what I have read, I'm thinking is a vacum line or distributor cap? What vacume lines should I be looking at?

#3 ·
Derby Car

Hi Mollard, I'm not a big time expert on the 305 or anything but I thought I might try to give you a couple of ideas.

If it sat out for a year you might have some condensation in the gas tank for one thing. You can try running an additive that removes water through the tank.

I'd definitely check for cracked vacuum lines. Also check the ignition wires and make sure they are in good shape.

Also could have a hydraulic lifter not working right, sometimes they gum up when they sit. Although the word is that 99% of the time additives don't help sticky lifters, you might still give it a try. It's only a few bucks. I'd definitely put fresh oil in too. See if it clears up after running for a while.

You say it's idleing rough, can you detect a definite miss when it's at idle?

I always have problems with carbs after a long spell of sitting, especially if it sat long enough for most of the gas to evaporate. You might consider cleaning it and see if that helps.

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm afraid you'll just have to go through it and check everything that might deteriorate over time.

Roy.

Hey thats great, you found it while I was posting! LOL!

#4 ·
Thank's for your help roy.

I fixed the idleing problem, I cleaned the EGR and it started idleing better. Now it only "chugs" when I put it in gear.

The gas is new gas because the gas tank is now a "jerry" can, and I flushed it and filled it up again.

I have a bunch of cracked vacume lines, but they are not cracked all the wya through, I'll try to replace the most I can.

I'll change the oil too.

What is this additive? Is it just called "hydrolic lifter additive"?

Also one more question for anyone....... Would adding a few things of octane bust to a jerry can help or hinder?

#5 · (Edited)
Well I think it depends!

Octane booster isn't going to do squat unless you have high enough compression to take advantage of the higher octane. If you have a decent C/R you can probably get a little more power by using the stuff and running more advance. If the engine is a smogger running 8.5:1 I don't think it would help.

As far as the "mystery substance" is concerned the experts seem unanimous that 99.44% of the time it doesn't help. I have never used the stuff. You can do a google for sticky AND lifter if you really want to try it.

I'll check back later, gotta go stir my noodles. :)
Roy.

PS. I ran a derby with a wagon. They're a bad choice because the back end folds down, get an old T bird or Lincoln!

Google for that welded spider, it's pretty easy but you have to be carefull of the welding cause they can get brittle.
R.

---------------
Here is a link with a pretty good description of the welding process. Not your vehicle make but looked fairly general to me. Has an example of what didn't work and what did. Welded Spider

#8 ·
I only plugged that vacume line, I don't know where it goes, that's why I posted a link to the pic.

I'm going to change the oil and ad some of that lifter stuff if it's not to mush $.

tonight I will be changing the cracked line.

Why does it only do this in gear?

Also, the reason your wagon went down Roy is becasue you left the rear bumper on, you catta take it off and it makes a nice wall. I can make 'em bend, but not run. But I'm learning.....thanks to you guys ;)

#9 ·
1 more question for anyone who wants to answer.

I'm building one with a freind and it's a little 4 cyclinder fuel injected honda. If I run a fuel pump ment for a v8 (it's off his dads 454) am I going to run into problems, or will it just return all the extra gas?

#10 ·
Mollard said:
I'm going to change the oil and add some of that lifter stuff if it's not to much $.

tonight I will be changing the cracked line.

Why does it only do this in gear?

Most probably because the engine vacuum drops quite a bit when you load it.

I'd get all the vacuum leaks fixed up first and see how it goes. A trick you can use to find out whats leaking is a small squirt bottle with some acetone or alcohol in it. If you put a little on a suspicious area and the engine changes RPM you've found a leak. BUT! Be EXTREMELY careful with Acetone (lacquer thinner)! Its both more volatile and more flammable than gasoline! If you have a spark jumping somewhere, even something not hot enough to notice you'll have instant flames and a lot more to worry about than a miss. Alcohol is much safer and works almost as good so you would be better off forgetting about the Acetone.

I'm going to pass on giving you advise on the injector pump, I think it would be too much but I don't know enough to say for sure. Someone else will know for sure.

Roy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.